More Donkey & Goats

This past week saw some Donkey & Goat wines with dinner. I had the recently released Grenache Noir, which was another tasty addition to my recent run of Cotes du Rhones and grenache-based wines. The Fenaughty is in a different plane - I’m looking forward to revisiting this in a few years.

• 2006 A Donkey and Goat Syrah Fenaughty - USA, California, Sierra Foothills, El Dorado County (8/6/2011)
    Reddish-purple color. Aromas of spice, blueberry, barnyard, smoke and pepper. On the palate an interesting combination of acidity, mineral, cherry, and earth. Hints of plum. Reminds one of St. Joseph, but this is a bit fuller on the palate. My previous impression was that this vintage was a little too soft for aging, but it seems to be evolving quite nicely. Excellent.
  • 2010 A Donkey and Goat Grenache Noir Fenaughty, Swansboro, Goldbud and Lightner - USA, California, Sierra Foothills, Amador County (8/4/2011)
    Delightful, soft wine meant for early drinking. Cherry, spice and herbs on the nose palate remind strongly of Cotes du Rhone without the garrigue. Very Good.

Posted from CellarTracker