Montrose 2020: perfection?

A few months ago, I tasted the 2019, and thought it was superb. Pretty close to perfection. I think, and memory may be played tricks, the 2020 may actually be perfect.

Very similar in style, there is a solid core of fruit augmented by spice, and violets, and some minerality. Where it may just beat the 2019 is it has an extra degree of concentration, although the finish is the same. To be honest, having tasted it, I need to try them side by side.

I was looking at the Palmer anomaly thread, and realized that Montrose has outstripped it since 2009. Palmer is a prettier, more friendly wine, but there is a wonderful masculine Latour quality to Montrose, which makes it ultimately the more compelling wine.

2 Likes

Killing me! A 2020Montrose is that last thing that I should be buying! The 2005 is not even ready! What’s your take on the drinking window? Considering approachability and quality, what would you recommend to me: 2016, 19 or 20? Enabler…

3 Likes

Twenty years minimum. We are on a Latour type evolution here. This is really a wine for my grandchildren.

3 Likes

I had 2019 last year and for me it was the best wine out of 10 or so 2019s we tried (Ducru, Lalande, VCC, LB, Baron etc).

Good to hear about 2020. Haven’t tried it yet but bought a 6 pack.

2 Likes

That’s what I figured, I’m out.

I bought some for the kids

Birth year for our youngest. Went long. He will enjoy it with his children

For background, I’ve tasted the 2019 twice over 2023 and the 2020 only once earlier this year… and I am no Bordeaux expert. I liked them both, but found them to be more different than similar. I found the 2019 to be red fruited, Napa-like 14.5% where the wine carries the 14.5% really well (“power without weight”) and much more complexity than a Napa wine (furthering the argument of… why buy $200+ Napa when you can find such quality Bordeaux in warm vintages?). Conversely, I found the 2020 to be very pitch black with savory graphite, less overt fruit, and lower alcohol. So the 2019 showing more opulence of red fruit and alcohol, and other showing more black, savory and elegant… which made me wonder what a blend of the two would be… (and would I prefer that to just the 2019 or 2020 as individuals? I personally preferred 2020 > 2019, but to me different wines). I also wondered if maybe the fruit of the 2020 just needs a lot more time to come out (as I have no experience following Montrose from release to +20 years). Curious for your thoughts on all of this! I’ve laid down a lot of 2019 and 2020 at this point, and not planning to touch them again in 5+ years.

I just checked @William_Kelley notes on the 2019 and 2020, and the 2019 references bouquet of “wild berries” and a “sweet core of fruit” and the 2020 references bouquet of “dark berries” and no other reference to fruit. I may be misinterpreting his notes, but suspect his note corroborates a more savory/darker 2020.

3 Likes

100% this, and there’s Bordeaux much cheaper than $200.

3 Likes

Recently bought 2005 for my daughter’s birth year, and am afraid she’ll be sharing that with her kids many, many years from now.

2005 Palmer is drinking beautifully. Montrose was very dry and tannic.

Got a mag of this since it’s my older son’s birth year, along with a handful of 750s. Hopefully I’m around to drink it with him when he turns, uhh, 25? 30? 40? :skull:

I think the 2005 Montrose is pretty gorgeous, I did not find it overly dry, but it is tannic. It definitely wants 10 more years. But I also think it’s an excellent wine. I’m not surprised the 2094 Palmer is already drinking well given the Merlot content. I had the 2008 last year and it was relatively open. Pricy stuff tho!

I have had different shows of 05 Montrose. One being as you describe dark and tannic, and the other being tannic but more open I finished the bottle without realizing.

For me the Palmer 2005 remains very creamy/oaky, I like much better what Thomas is making these last few years.

1 Like

If you look at my first in-bottle note on the 2019, I wrote: " Checking in at 14.4% alcohol (rather higher than, for example, the brilliant 2009’s 13.7% or the 2016’s 13.3%), this is an undeniably powerful, ripe Montrose, but for now everything appears to be kept in check."

The 2019 is excellent, but I prefer the 2020 quite a bit and agree with your analysis.

5 Likes

I knew you had a time machine, I just knew it!

1 Like

Hate to correct you both, but 2094 Palmer is 97% Touriga Nacional with a trace of Cabernet and no Merlot. Merlot, if you recall, was banned after the alcohol fires of the cataclysmic 2047 vintage.

1 Like

The Montrose was my #1 that night too!

Leveticus was said to proclaim, the greatest vintage in the history of any viticultural region from the dawn of time to the present. I think the Merlot hit 19:315% natural ABV.