Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

I don’t get this notion of “cellar defenders.” The goal is o drink what’s in your cellars, not protect your wine from your consumption.

1 Like

it’s to have drinkable inexpensive wines while waiting for the big guns to mature—so you aren’t “wasting” the experience. That’s how I view it. Can’t drink La Tâche nightly.

I understand that. But when I drink from my cellar, I want to drink something really good. That doesn’t limit me to La Tâche. Good thing as I don’t own any.

It might be Vajra’s Langhe Rosso, which is cheap but I buy it not because it is cheap but because it is what I want to drink with pizza, e.g.

2 Likes

This implies “cellar defenders” can’t be “something really good,” which is patently untrue.

2 Likes

I think you should get an exception for this

3 Likes

After the LdH induced disaster last month, April is better. Even though we did not drink much

Bought: 0
Drank: 16

Net: -16

YAY

3 Likes

6 out, none in. Less than 33 hours till a clean sheet achieved.

Definitely an exception here!

Not due to a uncontrolled case of Wine Acquisition Disorder (like some of us)

major success here:

24 out
only 6 in

and even better: I didn’t proceed to check-out on several online shopping occasions…

Rudy the K can…… thank you thank you, I’m here every Tuesday night.

2 Likes

For me a cellar defender is something ready as opposed to cheap. FWIW I buy, say, a dN “cellar defender” on an anticipatory basis - to give me an option in say a year’s time. When you have that kind of inventory management idea, things go haywire, with defenders of the cellar defenders, in a ridiculous recursion process akin to Dr Seuss’s watchers of Hawtch-Hawtch.

I feel confident reporting now:

In: +6
Out: -88
Net: -82

Importantly, the one 6 pack I did buy was purchased on April 3, with not one slip since then!

A very successful month for the numbers, though not for my waistline, as we entertained groups of wine friends nearly every weekend this month. Also sold a bit, and dumped a few dead/corked.

3 Likes

All auction bottles allocated previously sold, so way down for the year, but a Pieropan release in April meant I bought for the 1st time in months.

April
-335 sold
-19 consumed/ brought to a dinner
+12 added

3 Likes

the last two posts inspire the rest of us!

1 Like

I just did a quick back of the envelope calculation

+240

I foresee a few similar months coming up

1 Like

In: 34
Out: 35
-1 for April
+52 for the year. But better than last month!

3 Likes

+14
Net loss of 12.

1 Like

3 in
7 out

down 4 for the month
up 16 for the year
down 2 from when this thread started

Next month will be “good”.

I’m in the process of selling off about 30 bottles (plus some other retrenchment) to cover some veterinary bills so that will drop my holdings a bit.

25 in 25 out

I’ve had far worse months

3 Likes

22 in (but 18 of them were for VDP auction wines that Flatiron finally got around to invoicing me for) and only 10 out. Drats.

1 Like