Modern Bordeaux for my Caymus Friends

Thanks. I did pick up a few bottles of the 2015, but will look for the 2012s.

So, what was your impression of the K Syrah? I would have expected more of an olive dominated palate for this one - K Vintners usually does a pretty good job with Syrah. Yeah, there is some fruit for sure, but IMHO it doesn’t come close to “Caymusy”. Of course, YMMV. Cheers!

My wife actually opened this while I was out of town. Her note “I like the carbonation fizz i feel on my tongue with this. There is a hint of chocolate and tobacco that i like. Earthy.” She’s had plenty of Caymus - agree that it doesn’t look like this wine came close to that.

They had a 50% blow out sale on the 2010 barde haut…I figured what the hell…took a flyer…went home, popped it and never returned for the others…this.is.not.bordeaux

Funny thing — I blame you for all of my CHB purchases. LOL!

Lol, and I have always loved this little chateau. I have some skepticism over where it heads with all the changes, but will admit to still buying 2014-2016. The 2014 vintage is clearly a paradigm shift for this winery, but the wine is really quite sexy. I think the vintage and the Cab Franc cut kept it in check.

Total Wine still has the 2010 vintage for $70, so with the 20% off coupon, it’s $56. I backfilled on more 2010, so it is cheaper than new release, and given the stylistic change, more in my wheelhouse. Popped a lovely 2000 several months ago.

I will check in on the 2014 soon. I nearly opened one a couple nights ago, but opted for the the 2014 Talbot instead. The only two vintages I have purchased are 2014 and 2010. 2005, 2010, and 2014 probably, together, comprise 80% of my Bordeaux Holdings. I will be leaning hard on my 2014s while I wait a long long time for the 2005 s and 2010 s to come into maturity

Given that, Brian, you should consider some backfilling. I’ve been picking up more mature Bordeaux for pricing that is comparable to and often even less than new releases. The 2000s are starting to drink really well.

Backfilling is certainly an attractive idea, although I am unreasonably concerned about provenance. And I’m not sure I will be afforded any sweetheart deals like the two cases you recently came into. :wink:

M Rolland is your guide…

2015 K Vintners Syrah Milbrandt Vineyard (saw this on the shelf - looked Caymus-y)

I like K overall but this wine just didn’t do it for me. Maybe way to young but just didn’t get much fruit.

I’ve brought ‘modern Bordeaux’ to dinners with people who drink only big Cali cabs, and they couldn’t stand the Bordeaux. They thought it wasn’t ripe or fruity enough. So for everyone here who loathes modern Bordeaux (and I’m not judging you for it or questioning you), I still don’t think it’s ‘modern’ enough for someone who loves Caymus. Obviously many here likely have had different experiences, but this is just what I’ve found.

The problem with all these Bordeaux is that they lack the residual sugar (10 g/l in the most recent vintage) to be properly enjoyed by Caymus fans. I’d suggest decanting and then stirring in a few teaspoons of sugar.

A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down, in the most delightful way!

Ryan / Jim / Julian - I think y’all are right about the modern bdx not satisfying the Caymus fan. For fun, I was reading through some Caymus notes over on CT last night - talk about polarizing. To meet that bar, would need to be super oaky and jammy in a confectionary way (I know, gross, right?).

Best all-time note on Caymus was from none other than our own ACYSO…
This is a turning “wine”. If you put it near your nose, your head turns away. If you swallow it, your stomach turns. I hear points are assigned arbitrarily these days by the big critics. I will endeavour to do the same here. I give this 100 points, minus one point for every year Caymus has been in existence. Then I take away 10 points for the ugly label, which made me turn my eyes away. The Wagners are laughing all the way to the bank. 50pts

I am not surprised. I would not have recommended 2012s. I think you are looking for 2009s and 2015s. Esp. 2015s.