Modern Bordeaux for my Caymus Friends

Just look for 14.5% alcohol or more on the label and you’ve probably found one.

Why Bordeaux? There are many more wines similar to Caymus from other areas of the world. Why not high end Cab Franc or Malbec from Argentina? CDP from 2009/2010? Washington State? Paso Robles or Santa Barbara County Rhones & Bordeaux varietals? Australia?

Pape Clement? Sounds like that’s spoof city.

Others might disagree, but I find Smith Haut Lafitte quite modern with the oak and the creaminess. It has some honest things too, so that might disqualify it.

I regret buying so much Barde Haut. It’s not bad and it was pretty cheap a few years back but I find drinking it a chore. Tanzer gave the 2005 Barde Haut 93 pts which is really high for him especially for such a lowly wine.

I popped one of my '14 Fleur Cardinales just to get a feel of the vintage. Alcohol was spiking and oak was dominating. Body was just over medium moving into full. Acids & tannins were quite firm and gave it lift. No way is that wine a match for Caymus. Definitely not enough extraction and softness to make it drink like a Caymus.

I just can’t think of any Bordeaux in a similar price point that would match that much extraction and be as soft on the palate as Caymus.

Well, I just got back from Total Wine and below is what I picked up. Clearly should have read the entire thread before purchasing, but oh well…guess my friends are going to have to get their berets out and learn something new.

2012 Barde-Haut
2012 Fleur Cardinale
2012 Fonplegade
2012 Gloria
2015 K Vintners Syrah Milbrandt Vineyard (saw this on the shelf - looked Caymus-y)
2012 Torbreck Shiraz The Struie (ditto to above note)

This is for a getaway weekend with five other families that are joining us. The nice thing with these wines as they were mostly < $40. I’ll report back on the feedback from next weekend - sure to be lots of dry cheeks and pursed lips! (at least with the Bdx)

Scott, I loathe modernist Bordeaux, but I must compliment you on your avatar, A Bar at the Folies-Bergère by
Édouard Manet, part of the permanent collection of the Courtauld Gallery, London. I love this painting, wrong reflection and all. Carry on.

Scott – Sounds like good advice, though most St. Emilions are predominantly merlot, not cabernet.

Johnny Boy, you say that as if these modern St Ems have any varietal character or even express their terroir! :wink:

Actually, I think Scott’s list works well for the purpose.

I need to head to Total Wine, got an email from them that they now have in the 2015 Lanessan. Time to check it out.

If Caymus has terroir, it may very well be that of where Lewelling is grown.

Thank you good sir!

Funny you mention it…I saw this at my TW and almost picked it up. One of the few, if any, 2015s that were on the shelf.

It’s kind of amazing to me how en vogue C-H-B is now, as well as how widely available it is, for something without that much production. I think its maybe 2-3 thousand cases ?

I remember decades ago it was hard to find, and no one knew about it.

That cab franc makes it so wonderful and distinctive.

Throw millions into an architecturally-significant Chais, hire a flashy modern wine consultant, throw in more new French oak, get oodles of points and accolades from the modern critics, and voila, you are “en vogue”.

A tried and true formula, alas.

I finally got around to opening up the 2012 Barde-Haut yesterday. Even after a 3 hour decant, it was pretty awful. Tannic, fruity (in a red tomato kind of way), and spicy on the back with a hot finish. I was really disappointed.

Sounded like a textbook modern Bdx to me. Except maybe for the tannic part.

Ok Scott, I have seen all the suggestions…
I have tried many that were mentioned and they all kinda blow…this is the one your looking for…its actually new world &…
I actually like it.

A big feat because I am not a fan of new world bordeaux(at all)…the wine is:

2012 Beau sejour becot

Agree with Smith Haut Lafitte. Otherwise would concentrate in St.Emilion. Pavie,Pavie Maquin Monbousquet, Mondotte,.

Angelus has more character but might still work

Same here. It became a victim of our downsizing cellar sale.