MM Echezeaux "La Grande Complication"

So I tried the 2017 MM Ech and GE and loved the GE. @Michael Ch@ng posted a comment about thinking the VV and/or GC was a better value so I decided to try 3 of the GC. I got a fact sheet from MM with my order that had some information, but it was mostly a sales sheet, not really what I was hoping to learn, which is what exactly makes the GC so “Grande”? I searched but see just one comment on the board.

2014 Mongeard-Mugneret Echezeaux Cuvee ‘La Grande Complication’, Grand Cru: extremely aromatic with an intense perfume of sweet purple fruit; New World in style with sweet abundant sweet dark purple fruit bordering on grape candy\Popsicle; fairly controversial wines, garnering strong opinions both for, and against, the rather hedonistic style; if you have an Old World palate or are looking for terroir, keep moving; the polar-opposite of the . . .

This actually has me concerned because I’m definitely an Old World palate. Any other experiences with this wine and/or contradicting opinions? Also, anyone know what the process is with the GC that differentiates itself from the regular Ech?

The GC is from old vines from 1945. If you like the mm house style, it’s similar. MM tends to use a decent amount of oak, but that’s pretty true for all the grand crus.

I haven’t tasted it but the box is way to big for just one bottle, it doesn’t fit in a regular cellar space… They isolated an old parcel from the regular cuvée after the parcel from the cuvée VV went to the hospice though I don’t know when this happened exactly. I was offered this only from 2014 on. I’m pretty convinced this will be really good if you like the house styule. The regular Ech was already very good so this is the best parcel in theory

Envoyer has a few 12 for 169 atm

The bottle itself is annoyingly large a la Bernstein. It doesn’t really fit in the Uline 6 pack boxes, you have to put 3 with 3 smaller bottles.

This is the old vines bottling. I would love to have the wine even with that big bottle. That is a good price by the way Michael at Envoyer.

The wooden box it comes in is a box for 3 bottles

Yeah I grabbed a couple. 2 left. I have a regular 12 as well so will be an interesting horizontal tasting.

it comes also as packaging for 1 bottle, the same black box. That was what I was talking about.