Mike on Tour---OL in San Francisco, August 25

Pera looks great, especially if the private room is available.

I heard back from the general manager at Cafe des Amis. He can accommodate a group of 8 at 6 PM. Corkage would be a flat $120 for the table up to 12 bottles. (Corkage is normally $25/bottle).

It seems like a nice place with good food and good pricing. The general manager seems very accommodating. If Richard L planned some burg dinners there, I can only imagine that the stemware is very good. Does anyone want to explore Richard Jennings’s suggestions, or shall I make this reservation? The GM is being very accommodating, so I would prefer not to make the reservation if we’re going to back out a few days from now for another place.

Weigh in if you see this! Once I get a few endorsements I’ll make the reservation.

Again, thanks Ashish for taking helm on this, and great to be able to have you make it, Richard J. Looking very much forward to a fun evening.

Mike

I’ll let you SF guys duke this out. :slight_smile:

I’ve left a message for the manager at Pera. I’ll set up details there as well. Put in your votes now (Pera vs. Cafe des Amis) if you have a preference, otherwise I’ll make the decision for us based on overall pricing and yelp reviews.

Richard, do you recall if stemware was acceptable at Pera?

Ashish,

I think they have decent stemware at Pera, and an ok wine list. We’ve usually brought our own stemware nonetheless. I’m fine wherever we go. I haven’t been do Cafe des Amis yet.

I’m fine with either place, but if the private room at Pera is available that would be a big plus. Cafe Des Amis on a Saturday night is likely to be pretty noisy. Another benefit to Pera will probably be the cost. The food will almost certainly be cheaper and we should be able to find street parking. It will be hard if not impossible to find street parking on Union Street so you’ll probably have to use their valet.

Hi All,

I have been PMing with Mike trying to make it work.
As it stands, if there is room, I am a definite maybe.
Lots of logistics to work out for me - trying to get Shel to come but she has to work real early Sunday morning…

Have you guys determined a wine theme or just bring something?

I would love to try Pera if it works out, but I’m in for whatever works.

The private room idea sounds great, but really I’m there for the wine and company. As for theme, I’m CA heavy so if we go a different route other than bring a nice bottle please speak up early so I can secure something that will fit the theme.

Sorry, my schedule changed again. If you have a spot open, count me in…again. like Eric, above, just want to know when and what theme to supply wine for.

-dave

Mike - I am not having great success with my PM folder. Please email me directly regarding your visit at merrill@emhvineyards.com. Today , Wednesday, I am unavailable; I am available anytime on Thursday, and anytime after 12:00 on Friday.

Merrill why don’t you join us ?

Oh Ed, thanks for including me - that’s really quite nice of you. But I have people coming from out of town who are taking me out for dinner that night. Finally going to try restaurant Alex in Rutherford.

Hi Everyone,
Final details: Saturday @ 6:30 PM @ Pera. I’ve confirmed with the manager (Irfan). The private upstairs room is very large (seats 30+ people), so he said that for a group our size he will set up a nice corner of the downstairs restaurant. The reservation is for 8 for now, so let me know if that changes. Corkage is $5/bottle.

Make it breakfast and I’m in!

Ashish,

do you have me down as confirmed? This time for real.

Whats the theme? I would like to bring my 2009 Howell Mountain Cabernets is anyone is interested.

Is that in France?

I’m thinking of bringing a 1999 Baumard Clos du Papillon Savennieres, and some red that I haven’t decided on yet (likely to be French if no theme is determined).

Yes. Napa France. It’s the new “in” region.