Merlot, post Sideways

Will you point us in the right direction?

Pomerol, all day long.

I cannot recall the last time I had a California merlot that I enjoyed.

Popped a really enjoyable 2013 Galatrona a few days ago. I’d buy more.

Chateau Montelena produced a estate merlot in 97, truly outstanding. Sadly, I don’t think they ever sold it again. a few bottles left.

IMG_2409.JPG

LOL. You are not allowed to laugh with 3 broken ribs!

It took me a while…

Merlot seems to do quite well in Livermore. An interesting wine and winery is named 'Cuda Ridge. Excellent wine and they do a very nice job with other Bordeaux varietals as well. In addition, they are damn nice people.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif].

[quote=“Robert Alfert, Jr.”]Pomerol, all day long.

This. I love U. S. Merlot, but this is the pinnacle of merlot. Between the typical velvety textures and the frequent mineral wash finish Pomerol just seems to have a couple of extra high end gears available.

Literally well played. [cheers.gif]

I probably drink 20X as much Pomerol as Cali Merlot, but I’ve had some awfully good Merlot from Mayacamas and Beringer Bancroft. Though I think the latest Mayacamas I’d had is 2003, and probably haven’t had a Bancroft younger than mid-90s. So I might be behind times. But still bid if I see older ones at auction.

Marshall, Larry dino (cuda) is definitely a good guy and is making nice restrained bordeaux style wines. Winery is less than a mile from me. Nottingham and occasio make some good merlot as well.

At this point I would pick from Roanoke, Paumanok, & Lenz. Not all are top but if you do your homework and taste through the different selections & vintages you will find some very fine wines. I have remainders of a case of 1997 Palmer Reserve Merlot that is still singing beautifully. The label says Tom Drozd was responsible for this wine but I think it was Dan Kleck who some have argued as one of LI’s best winemaker.

I have enjoyed merlots from Pahlmeyer and Quilceda Creek.

Robert Keenan was not mentioned here and are certainly worth a try for those who like Merlot. I have enjoyed both the Napa Valley and Mailbox Vineyard bottling.

I was going to mention that Merlot does really well in Livermore. LVC makes a nice one but it’s very small quantity.

Joel Peterson has been posting pics on his facebook feed this week, of Sangiacomo Merlot bubbling away in one of Once & Future’s open-top redwood fermenters:

That sounds right up my alley…

I think people totally misunderstood the movie. Miles did not like Cabernet Franc or Merlot, yet his prize bottle of wine, his 1961 Cheval Blanc, is made of Cabernet Franc and Merlot. I think this was a way to show that he was much more of a pathetic drunk than a true wine lover. I have always been amazed at how much this did to the sales of Merlot.

Has the movie hurt sales of higher end Merlots like the ones mentioned in this thread or has it been the $5-10 wines that have taken the hit. My sense is that it is always best in California NOT to buy an inexpensive wine that this from the hot varietal of the week because it is likely a lot of the grapes come from the central valley. No matter what the varietal, does any good wine come from central valley grapes?

Love love love the wine. Too expensive for me these days

Simply, yes. Happy to share bottles of Sandlands and Bedrock wines made from Kirschenmann vineyard in Lodi. Ravenswood made great, ageable zins from Lodi for years.

I’m sure there are others, but those came to mind immediately.

Shafer Merlot fan here. Or was… I guess last year is the last vintage.