Merger of Artemis (Chateau Latour in Bordeaux, Eugenie, Clos de Tart) and Henriot ( Henriot, Bouchard, Fevre)

Hi all. Just saw this merger. It looks like a supercompany in Burgundy. Any idea if this will make any real difference in our little wine world.

I wonder if this is just another takeover of a smaller, more family run operation that will now produce a polished, soulless product line. The critical acclaim will follow as who can challenge big players in the market and survive? I suppose Burgundy is just too juicy a target for the Pinault empire to ignore. Will the product get more consistent? “Better?” Probably lots of money will get invested in Burgundy…at least initially. I for one just don’t need to buy another overpriced sweater with a fancy label. I would rather wear the old hand knitted one.

2 Likes

This is about more than just Burgundy. The list of combined properties is pretty impressive. I would also say that what the Artemis team have done with their existing properties is very different from the ‘polished, soulless product line’ mentioned above.

Burgundy

Bouchard Père & Fils, Beaune

Clos de Tart, Morey-St-Denis

Domaine d’Eugenie, Vosne-Romanée

William Fevre, Chablis

Bordeaux

Château Latour, Pauillac

Champagne

Champagne Henriot

(+ a minority shareholding in Champagne Jacquesson)

RhĂ´ne Valley

Château Grillet

USA

Beaux-Frères, Oregon

Eisele Vineyard, Napa Valley

1 Like

Artemis Groupe is the family investment firm of François-Henri Pinault, who heads the luxury goods firm Kering (Gucci, Yves St. Laurent and many others). Artemis owns Christie’s and a football team as well as its wine properties.

I would be remiss if I didn’t also mention that F-H Pinault is married to Salma Hayek.

I was fortunate enough to have breakfast with him many years ago (arranged by a publicist). He’s a very modest, down-to-earth guy – an assessment confirmed by a lawyer I knew who had worked for him for years. He’s proud of his roots in Brittany.

2 Likes

Saw that the Chiquet’ family have sold (minor shareholders previously, see Jasper’s post above) Jacquesson to Artemis.

1 Like