Mcminnville, Where to stay and eat

Planning a trip to Washington and Oregon in August and for sure want to spend a few (3) nights in McMinnville and set up a couple tastings with favorite wineries, winemakers.

Want to stay in a nice place but the Atticus at $800 a night is too steep for me. Recommendations are appreciated. If someone can convince me to stay in another town I will listen. On restaurants we like all types of food, from ultra casual to high end. We will also have a car.

I checked the search function and surprisingly didn’t find a lot of recent visits.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom

We stay at McMenamin’s Hotel Oregon for under $200 per night-just make sure you book a room with private bathroom.There are also some AirBnB’s. We normally stay in Newberg for a few nights and McMinnville a few nights, so that we can walk to restaurants for dinner. Restaurants we like in McMinnville include Humble Spirit and Pizza Capo. We’re also looking forward to trying Pinch in McMinnville (next to Hotel Oregon) next month-the owners used to own Recipe in Newberg which we really enjoyed. In Newberg, we like Rosmarino Osteria.

Other hotels to look at are Douglas on Third, Third Street Flats, and The Boutique Retreat - a group of tiny houses in the Granary District (very convenient to Goodfellow, Eyrie, Heater Allen, and Hayward - see below). I live here, so I haven’t stayed any of these places, but I’ve heard good things. Douglas on Third is right above HiFi Wine Bar, which could either be a blessing or a curse.

Depending on when you’re going to be in town, there is a very popular event for some called “Cruising McMinnville”. If you like vintage cars, it’s great. If you dislike noxious gasoline fumes, it’s a bad time to be here. This is a big deal for some, and it attracts a number of jets to the local airport, and those folks stay at the Atticus or Tributary. This year it’s August 23rd and 24th.

Another dining place to think about is Hayward - a James Beard finalist for Best New Restaurant this year.

Thanks Diana and Rick, I will certainly utilize your suggestions.
Rick, will be there the week before in August. Love those vintage car shows, owned a 55 Chevy and 69 Vette back in the day. Make that WAY back in the day lol

Tom

Tom -

Will second Rick’s recco of Douglas on Third. Some of the rooms are tiny, but it is right in the heart of things in McMinnvile. We had a nice stay last year and just booked 3 nights in one of the Owner’s Suties for our Anniversary at the end of June. Located right above HiFi Wine Bar, so it has that going for it as well - definitely a place to check out. Hi Fi is owned by Evan Martin of Martin Woods Winery, and has an excellent and eclectic wine list, curated by Ben Denton. And if you don’t like wine, they have Heater Allen beer. :grinning:
We could easily spend or entire visit there. :wine_glass:

Douglas on Third

Hi Fi Wine Bar

Cheers,

Steve

We’ve really enjoyed staying at A’ Tuscan Estate Bed & Breakfast which is just a couple blocks off of the main drag. For dinner we’ve had great meals at La Rambla (tapas) and Bistro Maison (French).

@Roger_Ouellette @Steve_Anderson thanks for the recommendations, much appreciated.

Tom

Last time we went we rented a house. We really liked Bistro Maison. Pura Vita Cocina was also good for lunch. We have stayed at The Allison Inn & Spa. Great place, very good restaurant but not in McMinnville.

1 Like

Lots of good info on McMinnville in here

And here

We had dinner for the first time at Pinch on Saturday. The chef/owner is Paul Bachand, who previously had Recipe in Newberg.

The atmosphere was contemporary but comfortable. The menu was limited, but the food was very good - not super fancy, just well executed approachable and tasty food. Wine list was OK, but a little on the spendy side. We brought a bottle, and corkage was waived because we bought a bottle off the list. Service was very good. Given that the restaurant is about three blocks from home, we’ll be back.

2 Likes

Thanks Rick, sounds like our kind of place. Very good food and not pretentious.

Tom

I was assured that the rice pudding would be on the menu during my Oregon visit last summer. Can you confirm? I missed Recipe last summer as I’ve enjoyed many meals there over the years. Chef Paul and Emily are great peeps…