Maureen Downey Interview

Kirk, can you clarify as to how you will simultaneously be vague enough to thwart counterfeiters from benefiting from using your service and still actually be useful for those in the trade?

Sounds like nobody thought of the possibility that the bad guys can use this service too…

This room is too hard on Ms. Downey. She sees a need and has a response and particular skill, one that has pretty much been authenticated during the Rudy trial.

Ask yourselves this, if Don C. was taking on such a project, would you be as hard on him, even if the room were warmer?

Wish the lady luck, and move on.

Cheers!

Thank you to those who have been kind.
In fact, we have been working steadily on this project for over a year. It represents 15 years of my career, as well as the hard learned information and contributions being included from experts across many fields, and in different global wine markets. One would be remiss to think we have not considered how to present information without simply training counterfeiters throughout the development process.
That said, as a company we have decided not to either further this thread, nor use this forum to describe our venture.
You are welcome to send any inquiries to info@winefraud.com.
MD

The room got a tad colder again.

Tough crowd on WB. rolleyes

I don’t blame you. There are too many negative people around here.

Sounds like the thermostat is broken Todd [wink.gif]

That’s it! I’m taking my ball and going home!

After the way she’s been talked about recently here, I don’t blame her. I’m not saying I agree or disagree with her views on anything as I don’t know enough about the lawsuits or other events she’s involved in, but I have seen some pretty snarky comments about her “name dropping” among other things. Par for the course here on WB though.

Post number 37 above is a commercial plug from my perspective,.

Maureen,

Awesome and good luck with your project!
Ted

I suspect that nobody would be happier about that outcome than Maureen, and I doubt she would be unemployed for long even if there were no counterfeits left.

I suspect you are correct. She is obviously talented and has a passion for wine. However, I also now believe counterfeits will never be fully eradicated.

Wanna know the secret to avoiding counterfeit wine? Buy wine that’s inexpensive enough that it isn’t worth the effort to counterfeit. Voila! neener

Of course you are correct Bill. Older and/or negoce bottles will remain an issue until all the corks have been pulled. I was thinking of newer ‘classic’ vintages that are likely candidates for future counterfiting (e.g. 2005 burgs). I used currency only has an example to ensure label integrity. Here in the U.S., even Blankiet (not really a target for counterfeiting) has been proactive and ensured capsule/cork integrity using proof tags. I don’t understand your comment that this is just a small part of the anti-counterfeit operation. What else is there to secure?

[bye.gif]

[cry.gif]

You need to go pretty cheap to avoid it:

Bye Maureen.

In consideration of this statement, your customers would still then require your expertise to authenticate bottles? Not trying to be obtuse, but I thought the concern was valid and your response a bit dismissive. If I understand correctly, this new service you will offer will NOT be comprehensive of the forensic checks you perform, and that potential customers will still require your services to ensure authenticity of their bottles?

The only way you can prevent someone from using your new service with nefarious intent would be to hold something back, no?

I shall not use expletives although I feel like it :slight_smile:

I work in a somewhat related conceptually yet totally different field.

Why is it so &$&$&#&ing hard to understand that the set of skills needed to spot fakes are different from the set of skills needed to create good fakes?

Just like the skills needed to build bridges is different from the skills needed to destroy bridges. Of course there is some overlap.

I take that back. To most it is non-obvious. But I have no doubt it is true.

Skills to defend and skills to attack, although they have some overlap, are quite different skill sets.

That is what we are talking about.