Mature burgundy dinner at Medlar

6 cast offs from a larger mature burgundy dinner taking place in the private room upstairs gathered at Medlar recently. With the exception of the opening wine, the wines showed very well and it was one of the most enjoyable dinners I’ve attended. In particular, thanks must go to Neal for the glorious 59 Belin.

Some white burgundy to start with a crab raviolo with samphire, brown shrimps, fondue of leeks and bisque sauce.

A superb flight of red burgundy with partridge boudin blanc with Savoy cabbage, bacon and carrot purée.

• 1976 Domaine Marquis d’Angerville Volnay 1er Cru Champans - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru (10/10/2013)
    Pretty red nose that developed notes of beef stock with time. Great palate depth with lots of bright red fruit. Very good.
  • 1959 Jules Belin Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Clos de l’Arlot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (10/10/2013)
    As it should be, a noticeably darker nose and fruit profile on the palate than the 79 volnay champans served alongside it. Gorgeous, silky palate that just wouldn’t quit. Became quite stinky but an absolute privilige to try this.
  • 1970 Jules Belin Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Clos de l’Arlot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (10/10/2013)
    Some VA and madeira on the nose initially. However, this soon blew off and the wine held up very well thereafter. Very good, supple, solid palate, if not quite as seductive as the 59 served alongside it.

A second flight of mature red burgundy with roast grouse with game chips, bread sauce, pate and damsons.

• 1978 Joseph Drouhin Chambertin-Clos de Bèze - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambertin-Clos de Bèze Grand Cru (10/10/2013)
    Pretty red fruits but still a bit tight on the finish. A bit light in comparison with the gorgeous 59 belin but still pretty.
  • 1988 Faiveley Chambertin-Clos de Bèze - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambertin-Clos de Bèze Grand Cru (10/10/2013)
    First one of these I’ve tried for several years as the previous ones were very tight and austere. Much blacker fruit profile than anything served so far this evening. Still slightly dry on the finish initially although this softened with some air. A slightly odd cigarette ash nose developed with time but the palate was lovely and persistent. Definitely offers hope for my remaining bottles.
  • 1988 Domaine Bart Chambertin-Clos de Bèze - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambertin-Clos de Bèze Grand Cru (10/10/2013)
    A dark fruited nose initially but developed a quite madeirized profile with air. NR (flawed)

The famous RP 100 pointer with some lovely cheese to finish
  • 1995 Château Tirecul La Gravière Monbazillac Cuvée Madame - France, Southwest France, Dordogne, Monbazillac (10/10/2013)
    Not quite the all-encompassing, spectacular showing of a bottle a few weeks ago. Nevertheless, still a great way to finish a superb evening. Very sweet with lots of marmalade, apricots and honey but plenty of acid to keep it refreshing.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice wines. My wife and I have become big fans of Medlar since first going on your recommendation a couple of years ago.

Mark,

Glad you enjoyed it. You must try La Trompette as well - food there is now approaching Ledbury levels, which is the highest compliment I can give. They also have a great wine list and are very amenable to corkage.

Dan

Nice work Dan.