Margaritas

My preference: 3 parts don julio silver (or patron if I’m feeling wealthy), 2 parts lime juice, 2 parts citronge and a splash of orange juice to sweeten, depending on the tartness of the limes.

Steve Nordhoff posted this in the St. Germain Elderflower thread… dying to try: flirtysmile

The Alpine Margarita:

Equal parts fresh squeezed lime juice, Milagro Reposado, Cointreau and St. Germain. Either shaken and served straight up or pour over ice.

So, made my margaritas on Wednesday and they came out great. Thanks for all the tips!

I used Lunazul Reposado, Citronage, and Persian lime juice in a 2:1:1 ratio. Also a touch of simple syrup to take the edge of the lime juice. That’s a powerful drink, for sure, especially with the Citronage at 80 proof. But very refreshing. Looking forward to further experimentation.

That’s why you want to use good quality tequila when you mix 2:1:1 cuz you don’t want to be tasting Cuervo. lol

I’ll preface this with the fact that I really like sour, tart drinks, but I generally don’t use any sweetener other than the liqueur. Sometimes I might add just a touch of sweetened lime juice, but I usually go about 3:2:2 with tequila:lime juice:liqueur. If I am using sweetened lime it might be more like 2:1:1. I like reposado, though sometimes blanco is nice, too. I’m generally using Sauza (the 100% agave line, of course), Don Julio, or Patron, but rarely Patron as I’ll drink that straight. I will admit that I often use bottled lime juice. I’d love to get one of those standing press citrus squeezers, which would probably change this approach, but I don’t have one now and I’m lazy. For liqueur I like Cointreau and/or Gran Marnier. The combination can be nice. I also add a pinch of salt per drink that I’m mixing. Putting it on the rim is way too much for me, but I really like a little salt in there. I shake it with plenty of ice and serve over maybe 1 big or 2 small ice cubes. The agave sweetener sounds interesting; I might try that, but I know I’d have to be careful as agave nectar is really sweet.

He he, I’m spoiled because I’m still drinking down the last of the Don Julio Anejo I have and using it for Margaritas.

I was part of Scott’s Facebook discussion and I will give everyone the abridged version to enlight the uninitiated:

There was a discussion about whether to use Cointreau/Triple Sec/Grand Marnier in margaritas, what do you use and why; what tastes better, what’s the difference, etc.

Cointreau/Triple Sec/Citronge are in the first family. They are simply orange flavored, sweet liqueurs of different quality levels. The spirit base is generally neutral. Generic triple sec is usually,literally, just a mix of syrup and alcohol spun together. The higher quality stuff is infused more naturally. Citronge is a Cointreau-esque liqueur made by the folks who make Patron Tequila. Similar quality, lower price. There are a few other similar things on the market.

Grand Marnier is a similar orange flavored liqueur, but with a Cognac base. Some people like it because of the richer flavor, some not so much. Taste them straight side by side, there’s an obvious flavor difference between Cointreau and Grand Marnier. Like Patron Citronge, there are cheaper, ‘equivalent’ liqueurs that you can use as a substitute for Grand Marnier. My favorite is Torres Grand Orange from Spain. Spanish Brandy base, similar flavor profile to Grand Marnier, about 25% less expensive. Another cool one I have tried is the Clement Creole Shrubb, a rum-based, orange flavored liqueur from Martinique.

I like 'em all…

Award winning.

1 part fresh lime juice
1 part OJ
1 part Patron Citronge (lighter and less syrupy than GM or Cointreau)
2 parts Tequila (I like Cuervo Platino or Coralejo Reposado but to each-his-own)
Shake vigorously
Rocks
Salt

We have got to get together to test this award winning recipe! I am so happy for you and Alexa and your ever-growing family. Cheers!

For a store bought mixer this is pretty good.

http://www.drinkripe.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;