Mangled Mispronunciations

I learned this from “A View to a Kill”!!! [highfive.gif]

I’m starting to think Sebastopol in Sonoma isn’t usually said with the correct Russian pronunciation.

Pronunciation of foreign names you have not heard is not easy. How many of us got Jayer, Jermann, and Jumilla right the first time?

Leeeeeeeeeeeeroy Voznee Romanee!

hooKVstzbz0

I mangle mispronunciations frequently - every time I pronounce something correctly in fact. (it’s pronounced “Pee-dant”)

hahaha this video never gets old.

Veleta —- Velveeta

I know a guy who says “Cotee Rotee” without apparent irony. I haven’t the energy to correct him.

Probably because so many of them live in LOSS ANJ-UH-LESS.

This part utterly slays me: “I’m coming up with thirty-two point three three uh, repeating of course, percentage, of survival.”

[rofl.gif]

Repeating, of course.

Wouldn’t want to confuse them with a a straight 32.3 percentage value.

What about the customer who asked one of my old co-workers for “the finest MAY-lot wine y’all have”? :stuck_out_tongue:

At the ol’ wine shop, I had compiled a mini-library of books and magazine issues for the employees to browse and reference when the inclinination arose.

In Sharon & Ron Herbst’s Wine Lover’s Dictionary of Wine Terms, one guy found an almost unpronounceable German term (I am not going to recall its proper spelling):

"Eingengergenmeinschäft"

It was pronounced: “Īn-gen-gur-gin-mine-shoft”, and it meant something to the effect of “a wine made by a co-operative”.

The young, bored, stupid guys we were, we practiced saying this word over and over again until it effortlessly rolled off of the tongue of every store employee.

Each time a customer sought out a German wine, we would create a situation where use of the term between workers was necessary. Idiotic now, but HI-larious then.

DooCroo Boogaloo?

Dan Kravitz

I have a friend from Memphis who pronounces it Cham-Boh-Lee Moo-Sig-Knee, and orders it that way in a restaurant, but he does it as a joke because it sounds especially funny in a southern accent. I want some uh dat Cham Bo Lee Moo Sig Knee.

Many many years ago, I referred to Alsace as AL-SAH-CHE. Clearly, I thought it much closer to Italy than it actually appears to be :slight_smile:

My favorite Carrie attempt: Gweegal Coaty Wrotey.

When I moved to Urbana for grad school, I laughed at the locals for pronouncing their town Cairo as KAY-rho instead of ca-i-rho. Then an Egyptian told me they were closer to the correct pronunciation of the city in Egypt.

I have a friend who pronounces Gaja “Gah-hah”. Turns out the name is originally Spanish, so maybe it was pronounced that way at one time.

I grew up in Detroit. No one pronounces it like the French. Some of the street names are doozies too: Gratiot, Beaubien.

Dan K. beat me too it but Mark Wessels at MacArthur jokingly refers to Ducru as the Dew Crew Boogaloo.

Mat Garretson said he had someone walk into the tasting room and pronunced Viognier as you would Vosnee

Without coaching, and without knowing were the wines are from, how would you pronounce Txakolina, Xinomavro, Grillo?

It is all a matter of educational level :wink: