Lower-abv Nebbiolo

If you looking for Langhe vineries then F. Principiano is the first place that comes to mind that might be for you. Depending on vintages I think even some of the Barolo bottling are below 14%.

The whole range otherwise will be within your approved abv in most vintages if not all. The barbera and dolcetto (santA) are some of the best in terms of drinkability, in addition to the Nebbiolo wines.

On a separate note, and not to try to force you to like something you already know you don’t enjoy…
I personally could not tell a 13,5% vs. 14-14.5% fresh tasting Barolo/Barbaresco from the other. The for me great and less heavy Nebbiolo wines hides the alcohol level like few other varieties can.

2 Likes

100% this!

1 Like

While you may not taste it, you still feel it. I would love for there to be phenolicly uncompromising barolo at 12.5-13.5%

If you don’t taste it, in what sense do mean that you feel it?

Have you tried Principiano’s Barolo? It’s usually something like 13.5%. Never felt it being compromised in anyway, very balanced and lovely wines.

The booziness of the wine

Have not had Principiano in a long time. Had one a few years ago and wasn’t so impressed at the time. Everyone’s quality keeps going up, so I should keep an eye out to try!

1 Like

A that’s individual of course but if sharing a bottle with someone then I personally don’t feel any booziness impact from 13.5%–> 14.5% in a wine with freshness. A potent heavy Amarone clocking in at 15.5-16.5%, a half bottle gets quite booze. That’s me of course, though I think the freshness vs the heaviness can amplify the booziness feel.

Haven’t had any of his Barolo in a while myself (2015 was the last vintage)… over the last year I had less “famed” wines like his Barbera (2016), Langhe Nebbiolo (2015 & 2018) and Fresia (2011). Great wines with Barbera passed it’s peak with fruits fading a bit.

I think that depends on how much you drink. :wink: I have always been a moderate drinker, so this has never been an issue for me.

Barolo and Barbaresco are pretty big wines. There is no denying that. I can understand that they may not be for everyone but generally more because of the tannic structure than feeling boozy. The combo of the acid and tannins keep them from feeling heavy. It’s not unusual for Burg and Champagne lovers to also put Barolo/Barbaresco up there with their favorites. Southern Rhone lovers tend not to rank Barolo/Barb in their favorites. I’ll agree that there’s more heft than most Burgundy but they really don’t feel so heavy to me compared to the majority of southern Rhone or even most Brunello. Brunello are pretty boozy too but something like Cerbaiona doesn’t feel so heavy even clocking in over 14%. Fino sherry at 15%+ really doesn’t feel so heavy. My guess is if the labels didn’t print the abv, a lot of people would guess alcohol percentages way off from what they actually are. If someone has broad experience with Piedmont are decides the wines are too big, that’s all they need to know but the OP admittedly doesn’t have much experience with the region. I think it’s worth exploring a little more broadly before writing off anything coming in over 14% because you’re dismissing a whole lot of what the best of the region offers. It has nothing to do with “these days.”

2 Likes

Exactly! A good maxim for exploring life…not only a wine region/varietal!

1 Like

I assume he means it gets you drunk faster?

Everything is relevant but having a couple of glasses of wine and the difference is 1% abv… 1 hour later, how much drunker are will a person be?

The lack of freshness and heaviness of a wine would probably enhance the booziness feeling more. At least that’s my experience.