low tannin full-bodied red?

Residual sugar. It refers to sugar still present in the wine after fermentation has completed.

Regarding acidity. Grab any Pinot noir not name belle glos (not a good representation of the varietal). California or Oregon will do. Should give you a good base line on acidity in wines.

Here is one, while it lasts, that is much less expensive than The Prisoner etc.
Montes Alpha Cab at $12

I think maybe some of the cheaper Spanish Garnachas, from areas like Jumilla might fit the bill. Or maybe if they like Orin Swift then your friends might like the Locations series from David Phinney, especially CA.

Orin Swift/Dave Phinney - lots for recommendations for his stuff. I have not tried the locations series (been wanting to). i will definitely look for these.

Puglia Primitivo - i will look for Pietraventosa Volere Volare. thanks!

Montes Alpha Cab - I think i had this a long time ago. i don’t recall if it was soft in tannins. thanks!

Spanish Granaches - I do love the spanish wines. great bargains.

thanks again guys!

Yep! I was scrolling down this thread to see if someone had suggested this. I’ve only recentlly have had Brun’s Morgon Javernieres 15 and Trenel’s St Amour 14 that would fit the bill perfectly. Delivious, pretty complex and moutfilling wines with very moderate tannin levels.

So, I have started.

I brought a Barbera d’Asti DOCG ‘Baby’ to a get-together the other day. You guys were completely right on the tannins. they were essentially non-existent. It was medium light body. My only complaint was that it was overly fruity.

is this what a barbera d’asti is typically like?

immediately before that bottle, a pinot noir was opened, so i managed to tell the differences between the two. the pinot (sonoma) tasted like a thinner zin with spices/pepper pronounced. and not as fruity.

Canvas, meet broad brush.

Admitted. But generally seemed like a simple question looking for a simple answer.

Yes, barberas from around Asti are generally very fruity. They are usually lighter in color, body and acid than Barbera d’Alba.

As others have said, there’s a wide range of pinot styles in California, but this certainly sounds like a typical profile in one style. What particular pinot was it? The spices and pepper could well be from oak aging.

Many thanks for reporting back Danny. Very interested to hear what the gang made of it. Did they like the lack of tannins?

i actually don’t remember what vineyard the pinot noir was from.

i only got an opinion from one guy. He preferred the pinot. unfortunately, i didn’t get any more detail than that. but there was a comment on how little tannins the barbera had. i will have to try a d’alba next.