Louis Jadot Clos St. Denis - Domaine Gagey versus Negociant bottlings

Thanks for pointing that out Joel.

It’s a tough situation. On the one hand, you have to respect Jadot’s efforts to give ownership credit where it’s due. Otoh, James is right that you really have to give Jadot a lot of your attention to get it straight…and requiring attention where it’s not critical (assuming the growing/farming of all the various domaine plots are identical) generally isn’t always great strategy. Sigh

I think that’s what I said. Not sure if there is a ‘Domaine Louis Jadot’ CSD.

I think the conversation moved on from the specifics of the Clos St. Denis bottling to the general question of domaine versus maison/negoce bottlings at Louis Jadot. Specifically for Clos St. Denis, there are only two bottlings: 1) Domaine Andre Gagey and 2) the maison/negoce bottling. You can see a picture of these two different bottles in my December 11th post.

More generally, the thread has been discussing what exactly is meant by a domaine wine from Louis Jadot. A Louis Jadot domaine wine can come from any of the three individual domaines controlled by Jadot: (1) Domaine Louis Jadot; 2) Domaine des Héritiers Louis Jadot or 3) Domaine Andre Gagey.

Yes, I’m something of a geek.

La Maison Louis Jadot contrôle 225 hectares de vignobles en Bourgogne, dont 119 hectares en Côte d’Or :

le Domaine des Héritiers Louis Jadot, le Domaine Louis Jadot, le Domaine Gagey et le Domaine du Duc de Magenta.

Le Domaine des Héritiers Louis Jadot est le domaine historique de la famille Jadot :
Beaune Premier Cru Clos des Ursules
Corton Pougets Grand Cru
Corton Charlemagne Grand Cru
Chevalier Montrachet Les Demoiselles Grand Cru
Beaune Premier Cru Clos des Couchereaux
Beaune Premier Cru Les Boucherottes
Pernand Vergelesses Clos de la Croix de Pierre

Le Domaine Louis Jadot s’est agrandi en 1985 avec l’achat du Domaine Clair Daü
Chambertin Clos de Bèze Grand Cru
Bonnes Mares Grand Cru
Clos Vougeot Grand Cru
Musigny Grand Cru
Chambolle Musigny Premier Cru Les Amoureuses
Gevrey Chambertin Premier Cru Clos Saint Jacques
Corton Grèves Grand Cru
Pernand-Vergelesses Premier Cru Clos de la Croix de Pierre
Savigny les Beaune Premier Cru La Dominode
Meursault Premier Cru Genevrières
Pommard Premier Cru Rugiens
etc.

Le Domaine Gagey appartient à la famille d’André Gagey depuis plusieurs générations
Clos Saint Denis Grand Cru
Echézeaux Grand Cru
Beaune Premier Cru Les Grèves Blanc
Savigny les Beaune Premier Cru Les Guettes
Nuits Saint Georges Premier Cru les Boudots
Beaune Premier Cru les Chouacheux

Merci beaucoup. C’est assez utile (Thanks very much. This is quite helpful.)

merci…+ 2.

It took me many years to appreciate Jadot’s CdBez…& it is the opposite of Rousseau’s CdBeze ( one is : yum - in Chinese means no sunshine and the other is : young in Chinese means sunshine ).

It was one of my learning - and wonderful experience - to do matching (side-by-side) tastings with the 2 versions of CdBeze from them form many, many vintage years.

Cheers…

Beside his CdBeze my other favourite jadot red is : without any doubt : Clos des Ursules - unbelievable QPR.

Learn something new everyday they say. I just learned a lot reading this.

Just following up on this, as I write up my notes on the 2018s, I see that Jadot own fully 24 hectares in the commune of Beaune!

Interesting, this is new information to me…I went and looked at my stash and I have 4 bottles of the '06 Jadot CSD and it is the Gagey version.

I found this article very interesting for me. Maybe it will be interesting to someone else.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2019/12/making-the-case-for-negociant-burgundy

Was this the older label?
7B3DCC9F-3F9D-4705-9F1E-AA68D6A10724.jpeg

Got the HDH offer on the 2018s today; there’s a specific notation that the CSD is indeed the Domaine Gagey bottling.

Incidentally, the 2018 vintage at Jadot is great, just tasted there last week.

Yes, this is Domaine wine with a pre 2005 label and bottle. In 2005 they bottled their Grand Crus in heavier, different shapes bottles.

I tried a few at the tasting on town 2 weeks ago. Loved the reds. Much better than 17 IMO.

Tasted Jadot’s 2018s from barrel last summer. Thought the CSJ was stellar. Were you able to purchase any while visiting?

We were never really offered wine for sale at any of the domaines we visited; Jadot is pretty easy to source here, so in any case, I didn’t see the value of lugging a few bottles across the Atlantic myself.

Just wanted to update this thread with a new data point. Recently I got my hands on a full UK offering for 2018 Jadot wines, and right there in print were both the Gagey and negociant bottlings, listed separately, with the Gagey version a bit more expensive.

And so I have now seen that at the wholesale level a distinction is very much made. Glad to find this out (or rather confirm it because here or in the other thread I think someone noted this) because it finishes out the puzzle.

In other news, I have noticed of late that many retailers and auction houses are now taking care to point out whether a particular Jadot bottling is negociant or Domaine- which I did not find to be commonly provided information before this and the other related threads got attention. So this and the other thread have done a good thing- something a couple of people ITB who were very quick to put the onus on the consumer/poster should consider in future.

For my part I should also confess that despite being really ticked off, I was not able to stay mad forever and have been picking up CSD (Gagey version only) at very nice prices lately. As this bubble for certain things continues to swell, there are a growing number of burgundy bargains out there. Good Jadot bottlings are a prime example.