Louis Jadot Clos St. Denis - Domaine Gagey versus Negociant bottlings

Both domaine wines, just a different chain-of-title into the portfolio.

Thanks. Why are the Domaine Jadot wines not being discussed in this thread?

Because there is no Domaine Jadot version of the Clos St. Denis.

Tom, thanks for the additional information. I’m in the camp of this being a retailer rather than a producer issue. For example, I also bought three bottles of the 2005 Jadot Clos St. Denis from a K&L Auction, all of which I now know are the negoce bottling. Had I been attuned to the two bottlings at the time of auction and examined the picture accompanying the lot, I could have seen this. However, the auction description includes the Allen Meadows review and the favourable score, but omits the introduction to the review that I quoted in my original post (“from 90+ year old vines that are worked by horse”), which indicates that the review is for the Domaine Gagey bottling.

On the question of Joseph Drouhin Corton Charlemagne, the Drouhin website identifies both a domaine and regular bottling. However when you click on the link for the Domaine bottling, you see this picture:
corton-charlemagne-grand-cru-domaine-33.jpg
When you click on the link for the regular (non-domaine) bottling you see this picture:
corton-charlemagne-grand-cru.jpg
The difference between the two is the line of text right below the Joseph Drouhin name, but the pictures are reversed because the text is shown on the picture provided for the non-domaine bottle, but it says “Propriétés de la Famille Drouhin” (Drouhin Family Properties). When you click on the shelf talker for each of the wines (upper right hand corner of each web page) the correct picture is shown.

The good news so far for me this is that the one bottle I can access to check is in fact the Domaine bottling.

Just for clarification, while there isn’t any ‘Domaine des Héritiers Louis Jadot’ Clos St Denis, there is a ‘Domaine Andre Gagey’ CSD…and many people refer to both of those as Domaine Jadot.

I wondered about that reversing as well…odd that they would make that mistake. I wonder if they outsourced the website??

Did anyone buy any 2014 CsD from Envoyer a year ago? And know which label it is?

I asked - it would be around 150 samples to taste everything at Jadot this year…

Um, how do you pronounce Gagey?

Gah-jhay

But open to better attempts to render it. The first G is hard as in gold, the second G soft as in massage.

Got response from Greg… "All domaine wines either jadot estate or henri gagey estate but both are considered domaine "

Every time I have been offered the CSD through official importer channels (Kobrand, local distributor to my restaurant) it has been the Gagey so that doesn’t square with my experience. I have never been offered the negoce version through those channels.

Well the customer should be right. If there is confusion, there is a need for improvement and I can think of having distinctive label as not a tiny mention somewhere.
On the other hand I stopped buying Jadot because of the 1855 saga. When 1855 were in big difficulties, I contacted both 1855 (I as a good customer) and Jadot to ensure my en primeur delivery. The 1855 buyer (from Jadot) was ready to help so that my wine got traced and did indeed pay Jadot… Jadot had no intention to be helpful, sent the wines to 1855 (Vosne petits monts griotte chambertin, etc…serious stuff) and the lot got frozen at 1855 and probably ended up in the cellar of the liquidator…

Thank you Nathan and others who have offered evidence that my suspicions about geographic distribution were not accurate. I will not repeat that hypothesis in future now that I know there are facts to contradict it.

it’s worth noting that Fevre Chablis has both Domaine and Negoce bottlings of the same wine (Preuses and Fourchaume, for example, not sure about others). Their label is very clear about the differences (Domaine, in script font, appears above William Fevre on the front label)…but their website isn’t very clear about what negoce bottlings they sell (maybe they list it somewhere, but I couldn’t find it).

One of my favorite wines so I had it many times. There’s only 2 barrels made of Domaine wine (50 cases,) that is owned by Gagey family, which has run the Jadot for past 50+ years. Kobrand, which is the importer, brings in both Domaine and Negociant version. I don’t know how are the things imported/distributed now, but few years ago, when my wife used to work for the importer, 50% of Jadot’s top Domaine wines were imported to the USA, which would give you 25 cases of Domaine Clos Saint Denis, nowhere near what the demand was. Most of the Domaine Clos St Denis would end up in New York and California due to those being original markets, negociant wines would go to the rest, clearly marked as such. Can’t think of anyone who’s more transparent than Jadot, everything is clearly marked on the label.

As per where did the negociant wine came from, I don’t know, as Jadot rarely discloses the sources, especially from CdN for many reasons, one being that some come from the famous domaines.

Domaine Gagey is considered a Domaine wine, all Domaine Gagey vineyards are managed by Jadot, Pierre Henry Gagey, whos family owns those vineyards is the CEO of Jadot.

Why is there never a TARDIS around when you need one!?

Just to clarify the clarification, in addition to the two domaine names mentioned above, there is also a Domaine Louis Jadot as shown here:
2012 Chapelle Chambertin.jpg
All of the wines from the various domaine bottlings are the domaine (as opposed to the maison) wines of Louis Jadot

You really need to be a geek to under these wines. Then it’s straightforward [snort.gif]