Los Gatos/Santa Cruz/Monterey people Dinner #3, December 6, Venue Change

(Edit added December 5: Because of rain, VENUE CHANGED to SPECIAL NOODLES, 415 Ocean Street, 6:30)

I met the owner at Aroma in Ben Lomond and he seems to be a great guy and knows way more about wine than I and will treat us kindly (but not gratis) corkage-wise. I’d like to support this new place.
I’m emotionally loyal to The Crepe Place near The Rio in Santa Cruz and just learned they have a separate group area in the back. Never dealt with them about a group thing. But after our dinner there might be a great live band indoors, beer time. It’s where I stumbled upon the great Harmed Brothers after a mediocre Rio concert. Update: Research reveals that on a Tues or Wed they might kick us out at 8 with no band playing, I’ll call, maybe we could do it on a band night).
Either would be outdoors unless rainy/too cold, Aroma already promises heaters.
Regulars and newbies chime in with preferences for those two venues and those four dates.

If only six people can come, that’s fine once in a while. 10-12 is a good max, plus light drinking significant others who always improve the vibe.
Theme: in the holiday spirit, personal favorite white or red or bubbly regardless of price or score or age (older gets extra points), be prepared to stand up, explain, and defend. Romantic idiosyncratic stories about your bottle favored. Most compelling (truthful) story wins a bottle of older Rhys. I’m ineligible to win.

4 Likes

Sounds good… I’d be OK with either venue, Aroma probably better in terms of food, Crepe Place in terms of location. First week Tuesday would be best for me, followed by Wednesday. Second week doesn’t really work. I like outdoors if weather permits. Looking forward to a holiday get together!

12/5 does not work for me but I can make 12/6 work. Either venue is fine. Thanks George!

Would love either of the early days.

1 Like

We are set for December 6. I will visit Crepe Place and Aroma in November. If both are available and roughly equal (eg neither is freezing, both offer corkage courtesies), I’ll put it to a vote, but if there’s only one clear candidate, I’ll reserve.

1 Like

Thanks George! Looking forward to doing this again.

Unfortunately, I will be in Utah for the Season most likely so I will have to miss this one. If something changes I will let you know.

Sean

Wellp, after 20 years of not skiing, I got re-hooked this year so I can relate.

Will miss you Sean. Hopefully see you next time.

After three weeks there are still only four of us. Postpone to next year?
George

I would like to make this work if we can. Let’s see if we can round up a few more folks. I will be in touch.

I would love to go, but for the next few weeks I am stuck on being a family care giver. hoping to be there for the next one

john

Look forward to seeing you at the next one John. George - have you checked in with Tom P.? Uli - can your partner make it? My wife said she would love to join us so we are getting close.

Tom P is a yes.
HOME is closed Tues-Wed dangit, but it’s in our future. Or at least mine. Incredible food.
Aroma does not take messages, I left a detailed email message for Crepe Place private table.
Also re Aroma: Ben Lomond is out of the way, not for me, but for others.
Lillians is in our future, it was great, but not back to back.
More later.

1 Like

I’m gonna have to wait until next year also. Lifetime pilling up.

1 Like

If this is still on, I am keen to join. However, understandable if postpone is needed.

We’re going ahead!

1 Like

Glad to hear. Sorry I missed the updates here last week. I’m still in for either place, but not +1 this round.

If we can work with Home going forward, we definitely should. It’s the best food in the county in my opinion. Heck, let’s think big and bring back brown bag dinners there :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

Today I drove to Aroma, Crepe Place, and HOME.

DISREGARD THE FOLLOWING, because of weather VENUE CHANGED to SPECIAL NOODLES, 415 Ocean Street, 6:30

Aroma: After four separate discussions with either Allan or Mario, they’ll waive the $20 per corkage, this one time at least. Hwy 9 between Felton and Ben Lomond was annoying enough today with ditch construction delays in both directions to be a factor in my afternoon visit, but maybe at dinnertime it’s not an issue.

Crepe Place, right next to Lilliian’s, is $12 corkage, no courtesies. I had sent them an email a week or so ago, no response, they aren’t used to wine folks, but so what. Met the guy who received my email. Lots of heaters in the back deck if we want outside. I found out that the Crepe Place serves crepes!! I was stunned, but now we know.

We will return to Lillian’s at some point.

HOME was closed but the door was open and I chatted with the great chef Brad Briske. They are closed on Dec. 6, private party anyway that day but every Tues and Wed they’re closed. So they are a no for this time. He said he knew nothing about corkage and gave me an email address to inquire. Interestingly, Mondays they are open but it is too busy a day there for our group, because industry people from other, also great, Monday-closed restaurants come there to eat; I saw the dynamics of industry friendships at Big Sur Food and Wine, it’s great to be around, Chez Noir, Ad Astra, etc.
Sunday evenings are slower, said Brad. Depending on corkage courtesy, a Sunday at HOME would be a great next-time choice. Red burgundy and crisp non-oaky whites.

So it’s either Crepe Place for Dec. 6 Wednesday, or Aroma, or someone else finds another place, which is fine. Asian restaurants with no liquor license always work for me (though Thai is hard to match with wine, I don’t agree that Auslese is a good match for Thai. Zero-tannin reds, Beaujolais, older Merlot). Fusion (like Golden Triangle) means a good variety of dishes.

If I hear nothing from you all, I’ll arbitrarily pick Crepe Place Dec. 6, $12 more per bottle than Aroma.

George

Ian, PM sent.