Looking for a job in Oregon

After 33 years in public education and 5 years running an arts non-profit, my life has aligned in a way that allows me to pursue opportunities in the wine business in Oregon.

My wife and I knew we wanted to retire in Oregon eventually but the timetable has shifted. My daughter got accepted to the University of Oregon for the fall of 2024. So we have put down money and are building a house in Lafayette. It will be finished in September.

The position I am currently in at The Cavaliers AP&E is based out of Rosemont, IL. It is a $2.2 million operation that I took over essentially 8 months before the pandemic shuttered us temporarily. I was not only able to guide us through the pandemic but was able to have us exit in far better fiscal condition that we entered. Successfully applying for assistance programs helped but also adopting more efficient business practices helped us run leaner. Prior to that I spent 27 years in Klein ISD in Texas with the last 12 as Director of Fine Arts for the 54,000 student district. There I was responsible for all aspects of administration of the KISD Fine Arts program and 280+ employees and controlled district instructional and bond budgets totaling over 3 million dollars.

While I have no direct experience in the wine industry other than volunteering to sort grapes at Vincent for a few days, I do have a many transferrable skills. In my previous positions I have become adept at multitasking, working as a leader or part of a team, adapting to almost any situation, change management, financial planning, inventory control, software rollouts and training, hiring, and pretty much anything you can imagine. On the public facing side, I have done brand management, public relations, event coordination, fielded public concerns, (i have stories there) and as a teacher and accomplished presenter, could easily transfer those skills into a tasting room.

I’m looking for an opportunity in hospitality or managing operations like a wine club. I am targeting a June 1 date but have some flexibility to start sooner if the opportunity presents itself. I would love to talk to anyone about opportunities they might have. I have a resume ready to send to anyone if they want it. Ready to turn this crazy passion into my day job.

Monte Mast

4 Likes

Good luck

1 Like

winejobs.com would be your best resource

I’m scouring it and Indeed daily.

I’m waiting on a few details before I formally announce anything but I have accepted a full time position. Need to sign some paperwork and make it happen. I am very excited and as this winery is new, they haven’t been part of Berserker Day yet. I will propose that once I am on board.

Thank you to all who have reached out with advice, leads, and connections. It was very helpful and I owe a few of you - happily.

Now I need to go pack because I load a truck three weeks from tomorrow.

9 Likes

It’s time to make it official. I have accepted a position as a full time tasting room associate at Balsall Creek Winery.

Life is nuts at the moment as I have less than three weeks to get things packed in Chicago and make the three day drive. I have been splitting time between my house in Texas and running a nonprofit in Rosemont. IL for five years and I pack the apartment up on April 12 and arrive on the 15th. Just in time to get in a little training and be ready for the Grand Opening of the winery’s tasting room on the 19th. I’m still transitioning my current position and need to finish taxes. I have gotten my temporary housing lined up until the house we are building is complete, moving truck is reserved, and a have lined up a couple of places to sleep on the drive. Just need to finalize the storage unit contract, loading and unloading teams, and final apartment closeout checklist.

Balsall Creek is located on Calkins Road in Newberg, just past Adelsheim. All of the fruit is estate grown and includes Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Gamay Noir, Pinot Meunier, Aligote and Sauvignon Blanc. Yes, there is a sparkling wine in bottle to be released in the future. Laurent Montalieu is the winemaker. The tasting room space is well thought out with a full kitchen for dinner events and additional meeting spaces. I’ll post more when I am there next to get a few of you out to visit.

Thanks again for your support.

11 Likes

Sounds like a Berserker Bidness is in your future.

It will be a topic of discussion once I am fully settled in.

Aligote might be of interest around here.

1 Like

Congrats on landing a job from afar, and best of luck! Hopefully the good people at Balsall recognize your skills and give you opportunities to advance!

I have never heard of them - what is their production? It’s pretty crazy in OR right now - I make wine in Amity and run my tasting room there, and there are so many wineries I am still discovering new places! Welcome to the valley, and when you have a moment to hang out and get the lay of the land stop by The Bramble in Amity (and let me know you’re coming so I can try to be there myself!)

Cheers

Alex
Silas Wines

1 Like

A belated welcome to Oregon!

1 Like