***LOOK AGAIN, NOW UPDATED WITH COMPLETE MENU*** Oh boy, tough pairing... Lowcountry Boil (SC)

Champagne, Sauvignon Blanc & Pinot Gris go well.

A big boiling pot, with Old Bay seasoning, then progressively adding at certain time increments 1) potatoes; 2) andouille sausage (that’s my choice); 3) corn; 4) shrimp

Note: some also add crab, nothing wrong with that. I recommend that whatever recipe you use, you double the sausage and reduce potatoes to 66% prescribed.

White: Quincy
Red: Agree with Bojo, Teroldego.

I would like a Grüner with this.

I always like to add some blue crabs into the mix. Makes a fun addition.

With beef ribs, slow smoked, we generally drink rosé Champagne, cru Beaujolais (lightly chilled)—or beer! As a dish, it is not immensely sympathetic to wine, and nor is 103F in the shade, but it is hard to break the habit…

This is the correct answer.

Have some Madeira m’dear

Dan Kravitz

Beer the easy pick, can’t lose.

Surprised no CA Chard or Burg on this list. There’s a cross over thread event possible here.

Sounds like there will be weight, acid, and fats to cut in to. Varying on the specific choice, Chard has a universal adapter barring material spice.

Then again, I’m not well versed on the whole boil thing.

When I was in the low country training, I’d drink beer. Now, I’d want a fruit forward Zin.

Thank you. I love wine above all other beverages, but it’s not universally applicable.

We drink Kabinett with seafood boil.

Having done a ton of crawfish boils, I just never was able to find a wine pairing that worked for me. Tried a bunch of times too, with pretty much all of the suggestions above.

Beer, lager in particular, was always the top pairing. Though those boils had a lot more heat and space than you’re calling for.

That said when I see the ingredients in your boil I think of Muscadet as well.

You’ve got my mouth watering, Ross!

Well, there are a ton of recommendations, and I believe they are all correct… To start, the main seasoning, wether it’s Old Bay or something similar, has so many taste elements. There is spicy, savory, bitter, bittersweet, even sweet, if using good corn. Then there is the sausage. If you’re lucky enough to get true Andouille, that has it own most exquisite taste that could match with so many different wines. Oh, and don’t forget big bowls of melted butter and dry spices for dipping! That’s another thing to think about when it comes to pairing.

One thing to remember, boils are messy- at least when we do them. We put heavy duty paper on a large table then dump the pot onto the table. Think melted butter, dipping spices, mustard for the sausage, shrimp shells, corn cobs, and rolls of paper towels. It’s like a scene from shark week around the table. The frenzy can be so intense that one might forget to drink his wine or beer, haha.

What about chilled Chablis?

I am clearly in the minority here. For something like this I understand wanting to have a great wine pairing and a excellent wine to serve. But all too often sometimes I find letting the food be the focus and having a “simple” and forward wine fits the bill perfectly. Beer would be what I would drink but a good Friulano seems to hit my sweet spot for a tasty, simple summer wine that is crowd pleasing. Sounds like a great time.

Muscadet is what came to my mind for my tastes, but I think Sancerre or a Chidaine chenin based wine. Make it a Loire meets low country.

BTW, anyone have Chidaine’s Touraine?
Lettie Teague recommence it this week.

I’m also a minority player. Recently for seafood dinner, had Champagnes, Peay Marsanne/Roussanne and a rose. All previous suggestions sound good. Champagne seemed a crowd pleaser. +1 on Bojo. Also would try the interesting white and red blends (Pinot/gamay) from California and Oregon (or France, Portugal, etc.). Maybe a Viognier or Pinot Gris as well if you are concerned Chenin Blanc or SB are too acidic. The advantage of the new indie smaller wineries have approachable wines and usually some wonderful artwork labels that would be nice to display on the table. Always good to have rose, but a guest may bring it too. → in the end your guests know that you are the wine expert, so they will trust your palate. What you like they will like too. (Serve what you want to enjoy with the boil.)

When picking steamed crabs, most folks seem to enjoy a Vinho Verde.

I might combine the sparkling idea with the Riesling idea and try an Albert Mann Crémant d’Alsace Extra Brut. Or, maybe a Loire sparkling wine from someone like Huet. If you like a rose sparkling wine, how about the rose from Roederer Estates in California.