London Special Occasion Restaurant

Just back from trip. Not sure which thread to post this is as these do not all constitute special occasion but hopefully of some use.
Barbary, Covent Garden - sit around a bar watching the chefs ply their trade, and converse freely with them. Much of the cooking over chargrill. Assured cooking, delicious, wine list just a tad restrictive but would go back for sure.
Gymkhana, Mayfair - Very refined Indian in a lovely setting. Excellent wine list. Recommeded.
Medlar, Chelsea - more of a locals restaurant. Very well executed menu and outstanding service. Guinea Fowl was da bomb. Really good value for what you get.
Zephyr, Notting Hill - stumbled across this one when perambulating Portobello Rd. Assured Middle Eastern cuisine, with good produce. Vegetable dishes a stand out, as well as outstanding Octopus. Serviceable wine list. Good alfresco lunch option.
The Ledbury - again quite outstanding. Wonderful sweetbreads and a little comte, brioche and truffle canape was so good, we just had to get more. Staff were as good as it gets anywhere.

And for some fun, pre or post dinner - Pick and Cheese at Seven dials in Covent Garden. English cheese meets Sushi train. Some lovely cheeses in a unique format.

And now for something completely different.

Thanks for the recommendation, Jason!

The Clove Club vegetarian menu was astonishingly terrible.

Vegetables with little flavor, heirloom or not, in some cases, no sauce.

A tiny heirloom corn, other than the husk, it tasted like one that would be in your local Chinese restaurant stir fry. Accompanied by a “potato and butter” sauce that was bland.

Have you ever tried a steamed daikon radish, it becomes spongey. We love daikon but that dish was one of the worst we ever had. We even asked if there was a sauce they forgot, but no.

My regular menu was ok. Precious pieces of lovely fish, some with a nice, intense sauces. Shrimp tartar was so plain it was just texture, not flavor, other than the sauce. Part of the issue is the would be very stingy with the sauce. Maybe I would remember it more fondly if my wife didn’t have 4 disastrous courses in a row.

PS we are fine with fabulous vegetables being showcased. These sucked.

Ugh, that’s horribly unfortunate. It sounds like a possibly off day, but there’s too many restaurants in London to worry about going back

1 Like

![image|375x500](upload://kXL1Q0L5WKtz9dEBulTzP4VGgtL.jpeg

Medlar, Chelsea

A bit of a thread drift…

Want to take my daughters to afternoon tea while we are in town. For one reason or another, we have whiffed on going every time we have been in town while they were growing up and I need to make good on it at last this November. Any favorites?

My wife and daughter have done a few and loved Fortnum & Mason.

1 Like

dinner at Medlar was fantastic. Really high quality novelle French menu with so many dishes we’d like to try. 3 courses for 70 pounds was also an outstanding value. A definite must when i come back to London.

1 Like

That’s good to know. We went a handful of times to Medlar, our first visit was the night they were awarded their Michelin * and our last was shortly after they lost it. Both were deserved. I’m happy to read that they are back on track.

1 Like

We absolutely loved it and they let us move up our reservation time very easily on a Friday night. I was really impressed by the service. They had a full house but you would have never known. Service was on point but done in a casual way.

Hakkasan was also a solid dinner that my client choose. I could have done w/o the DJ but overall a place I would go back to.

Resurrecting this thread for my trip to London in May.

Any updates on Medlar? These days, three course prix fixe is perfect.

Gymkhana and J Sheeky are musts for me.

Was going to back to Kitchen Table, but I don’t like Prepaid/non-refundable. Strongly considering the Ledbury, anyone go recently? I’ve been a few times before, was amazed twice and disappointed the last time (but that was several years ago).

My focus is on fish, it seemed like Noble Rot and BRAT are pretty meat oriented (and the latter is in Shoreditch, a bit far from Mayfair).

Will likely go back to Nopi too.

I understand your lack of enthusiasm for the prepaid aspect of Kitchen Table 2.0. They remodeled during the pandemic and have gone to one seating nightly rather than two. Dinner is now more expensive and includes more courses. Despite the extra cost and prepaid thing, I think the food and experience are better. Knappett has his own farm(s) now and has a serious in-house dry aging capability. Better ingredients and less rushed than it was previously. I’ve now been three times to the new format/Kitchen Table 2.0 and prefer it. Sandia Chang has created an exceptional Champagne list, which is right in my wheelhouse.

The Ledbury is now helmed by Tom Spenceley, formerly Knappett’s no. 2 at Kitchen Table. Now tasting menu only rather than the three course option. Brett Graham is still involved, but Spenceley runs the kitchen. They received *** for the first time this year.

BRAT is a 10 minute walk from Liverpool Street Station if you don’t want to cab/Uber. They serve excellent fish/seafood and vegetable dishes. Very casual and very good. Worth the trek in my opinion.

Ate at the Ledbury 18 months ago. Brett was on the pans and snuck in the kitchen to say g’day. Meal was very fine…

Really enjoyed Medlar. Feels more like a neighbourhood restaurant but very warm service and great execution of dishes. Loved the Guinea Fowl.

Great to hear Medlar is still Aces. We had such a great meal there. Hope to visit again.

Given all the praise for Medlar, going to stop by when I’m back in London in a few weeks for work.

I’ll be solo, is there a bar or other area that’s good for solo dining or should I just book a table?

I’ve done fine by just booking a table for lunch. I haven’t done dinner with them for whatever reason, but I don’t see you having an issue at all

1 Like

Don’t believe they have a bar for single seating. Go ahead and book a table. We loved our dinner there. Great staff as well to go with the food.

1 Like

Super, thanks all

Just back from London. We ate at St. John Bread and Wine, Mountain, Brigadiers, Kitty Fisher’s, Fallow (pre-theater) and Apricity. Also ate at Bala Baya.

Mountain was outstanding, great interesting wine list. Sommelier recommended a 2017 Greek red that was outstanding with our pigeon and venison. Wish I wrote it down.

Bala Baya food was outstanding, but we were only there for lunch.

Brigadiers we really enjoyed. Excellent food and service. Very lively, nice old fashioned list.

Fallow was very good but we did not get to try much of the menu as we were there early before a show. Service and drinks were great.

Kitty Fisher’s and St. John Bread and Wine were good but nothing outstanding. Both have pretty limited menus as well. We enjoyed them, but I would not return. For us, Apricity was meh.

Wrapping up a week in London:

Medlar was fantastic, food was super thoughtful, did the three course menu for £75. Portions maybe a bit larger than they should be, went with the foie gras, duck, and cheese. Did four BTG selections, let the som guide me, very reasonable, ~£15/per glass.

Noble Rot Mayfair was fun, sat at the bar, had a couple of glasses of suds then sat for dinner. 99 beaucastel BTG with food, cheese for dessert. More BTG fun, 09 Climens and 85 Warres vintage port.

If you’ve got a connection to the private clubs in town, 5 Hertford is a blast, great list and cocktails.

Oswald’s is the best club though, wine focused, deep list, good food.