London Hotels (Marriott Brand) ideas

Hello
The Cubbies and Cardinals head to London in June of 2023
Taking my son and dad to London and my brother is joining us.
We are using Marriott points to stay. I’ve never set foot in the city so have no clue where to stay.

Figure central London and will take the Tube to the ballpark Saturday and Sunday

Will do requisite tourist stuff and spend 5 nights there.

Anyone care to throw some ideas at me? Between the three adults we have multiple millions of points, the hotel location and quality are the objective here; not worried about the spend.

TIA

Chris

Not sure where the stadium is and what tube line is close but we stayed at the Marriott in Kensington this past summer and enjoyed the hotel and the area. Walk to tube was short and easy. Even a nice BYOB not far away. Marriott redemption rate for the week we were there was reasonable.

Steve, eastern edge. London Stadium

1 Like

Long way from Kensington on the other side of the city.

1 Like

I like staying in Mayfair, not hectic but can walk to a lot of sites.

I’ve be at the JW Marriott Grovesnor House and it was fine (although somewhat overrun when I was there).I’d also look into
The Marriott Park Lane and the Edition (the latter doesn’t have free breakfast for elites though).

More info here than you can digest:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/844287-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-london-uk.html

I recently stayed at the London Edition. It’s a nice hotel with a few bars and a restaurant. The rooms are pretty nice (though it’s worth noting that the whole hotel is pretty dark - part of the aesthetic, I guess). Location was good.

I posted re the Edition (based on the brand)., but the Flyertalk reviews for 2022 are terrible. Glad your stay was good.

County Hall, at Westminster Bridge right by the London Eye and across the bridge from Parliament, etc is pretty central.

1 Like

I would not stay on the south bank of the Thames.

I am a huge fan of Kit Kemp and recommend all of her hotels (we stay at the Soho), but if it must be Marriott, the Park Lane and Grosvenor Square are the best located.

1 Like

Just to clarify, JW Marriott Grosvenor House, and Marriott Grosvenor Square ate two different hotels - the former is also on Park Lane, as is the Marriott Park Lane.

All three in Mayfair, I somewhat prefer JW to the one on the square, but it’s been many, many years.

The Marriott on Park Lane is a little further from the tourist area if walking but closer to the tube.

Terrific information!

Interesting - sorry to hear that! For what it’s worth, I’m ambassador and relied on very little from the hotel to make my stay enjoyable - I was mostly out and about.

Yeah, the Kit Kemp hotels are wonderful. Always try to stay there when I can.

If you want to be in Soho:

Another absolutely favorite is Hazlitt’s on Dean St. Super-cute little 1700’s Georgian hotel with individual rooms that feel like you’re stepping into another era. But no room service, just a honesty bar at the bottom (you have to go outside for meals). But you’re right in the middle of it - Bar Italia is just around the corner and everything else that Soho has to offer.

Nearby:

I’d be remiss if I didn’t recommend Le Beujolais wine bar and restaurant on Litchfield St just on the edge of Covent Garden. Run by an eccentric Frenchman and is always a great vibe with nice wines and smaller French dishes.

J Sheekey’s for fish in Covent Garden is wonderful, although a bit upmarket.

And Andrew Edmunds in Soho is a timeless classic restaurant that is always inviting and unassuming.

Tayabs in Whitechapel is worth the trek for Indian. Amazing food in a city that’s swimming in top class Indian.

What is wrong with the south bank?

1 Like

Nothing wrong with Southwark, but for those who have never been to London before I think it better to be in central/west London between Marylebone/Mayfair and Covent Garden-ish (including some of Holborn), which is closer and easier to access most tourist destinations and restaurants/entertainment. YMMV.

Stayed at the Marriott Marble Arch many years ago, decent location

I am partial to the Le Meredien Mayfair; I’ve stayed a couple times and it certainly has the best location. It’s like 30 feet from Piccadilly Circus.

Marriott Park Lane is a very nice hotel walking distance to a ton. Last stayed there in 2018. Can’t speak to access for the game though.

1 Like

We stayed at Grosvenor Square Marriott last summer. Excellent location, solid hotel.

We stayed at the Bankside earlier this year and got a suite with SNAs. While not at the level of a grand hotel, it was quite nice and might be a bit closer to the Stadium than some of the others. Also, just across the bridge from Central London, a not too long walk from say Covent Garden. The walkway on the south side of the river was great and the hotel is close to Borough Market and other fun stuff.