Loire is dead at retail

Scribble a shelf-talker with something like: “The next Chloe Rouguard”, and Alfert will back up the truck.

RT

In the thread which gave rise to this thread, I commented that a wide variety of Burgundy was available at retail in my market. At the time I contemplated how many fewer Loire wines I see. Strangely things like Baudry I never see, despite it being probably the most widely available Loire red producer from what I see online. Joguet and Breton I see at one or two places locally, but overall Loire is not a well-represented category in my market. That’s not surprising though; if asked how much of the US fine wine market, in dollars or bottles, the Loire makes up, as compared to Burgundy, I’d imagine far less. It’s never had the prestige (sweet whites in the distant past aside). Personally I really like Loire reds and whites and they make up a very large part of my cellar. CT shows me I still have more Burgundy than Loire but that’s all from several years ago prior to recent Burgundy price escalations. While I wish the Loire producers well, I’m also selfishly fine with the fact that Loire wines remain affordable. Not many wines in Burgundy fall into my regular consumption price range, but many Loire wines do.

Overall though the general profile of Loire reds still isn’t what most people know or want, either casual consumers or collectors. The wines aren’t big; they tend to be red-fruited and lithe and they have green or vegetal notes. I love that. I also love that they are approachable young and age very (astonishingly?) well, with little in the way of a dumb period. For whites I assume that the variety of styles can make it difficult for consumers to understand. The more popular white producers seem to be escalating prices with some success though, which speaks to increased interest. Similarly, I’d imagine that general interest in natural wines and wines that aren’t as “big” has helped both Loire reds and whites. If that grows or holds steady it should bode well for Loire sales into the future.

Love that too
flirtysmile

I’m sure this won’t come as a surprise, but Loire wines are pretty dodo-like over here too. If the retail market is more diverse than it used to be, most wine is still sold in large hypermarkets. But if you want to buy Loire wines, you have to look online or find a good wine merchant - there’s no chance of stumbling on some whilst doing the shopping, apart from standard Muscadet or something similar.

Fine wine in general has been under the cosh for many years because of rising prices, but there is I think an obvious reason for the lack of interest in the Loire: nobody writes about it. Apart from Chris Kissack and the occasional article in la RVF over here, there doesn’t seem to be much coverage. I don’t know about the WS, but TWA couldn’t care less and Vinous is no better. All of which is good news for those who like the wines, but a little more coverage would not go amiss - at least we would know more about what we’re buying.

We actually have somewhat decent Loire representation at a few of the wine shops in Milwaukee…by “decent,” I mean they’ll actually have 4-5 different bottles on hand, usually a couple reds & whites, although rarely anything on the sweeter side. As implied in the OP though, price points are usually in $15ish range, which is right where local consumers could be convinced into trying something “different” vs. what they usually buy.

Loire is category where it really helps to make friends with folks ITB, especially peeps at boutique stores and non-mega distro peeps who will keep you updated on portfolios, which often include wines you otherwise might not have ever even known could be made available for purchase.

My local Binnys has a shitload of Loire…30-40 Sancerre…more chenin than I want…lots more red Loire than I used to see…Quincy, Sauvenierres, 10-15 Muscadet. I can always find something to drink at Binnys…and the markups are only 30-40 per cent on the individual bottle…not cases. Not much knowledgable wine assistance, but if you know what you’re looking for, beats the national chains. And you don’t have to make nice and nod approvingly with the “nuts” and orange-heads at the geeky little shops.

No Loire red problems up here in Alberta. Some nice selection on the shelf downtown.

Yup, time for another Chinon! I have opened the 2013 Noblaie Domaine Chinon. The cork is a tad dried out but I did store well. $26 Cdn I guess and 12.5% alc.
Color is a medium plum with just a hint of bricking.
Nose has nice violets and raspberry…quite inviting. Still seems fresh, some blueberry from across the table.
Initial entry thought is drinking nicely right now. Bravo Noblaie! Medium bodied, good acidity, has held up well.Dark fruits, no greeness, long finish, soft tannins, blackberry and blueberry. Many might not guess Cab Franc. Stay tuned for day 2 forumites.

to C. Fu:

Loire is overrated!

Actually, it’s not. And I posted on one just a few days ago. And I’m actively looking to add Loire to my company portfolio, which currently has none.

Don’t stay tuned, because even if I do you won’t read about it here!

OTOH, I encourage everybody on this board to keep reading and posting.

Beset regards,

Dan Kravitz

Chloe Rougeard?

Those were the days. I used to buy stupid amounts of Huet.

Funny, but I buy lots and lots of Loire whites but almost never any red. Never really noticed that before.

As I’ve said before, that one can find (if savvy) the best Chenin wines on the planet for well under $40 for sec and demisec and under $50 for the 1er Trie Moelleuxs is pretty remarkable in today’s market. You can also pay more, and you are still getting the best Chenin on the planet.

Although there are certain other folks who have hit a stride.

Sufficient Loire representations, across main sub-appellations, in 4 large/reputable wine stores that I ventured into during 4-days here in Paris.

Loire n’est pas morte.

Savvy Blanc or Chenin Blanc? newhere

Paris wine retail is dead… None of those stores were Binny’s.

What are their Napa cab selections like? I rest my case.

RT

#millenials

They make red wine in the Loire? Who knew?

They’re like Phylloxera, except really good with I.T.

RT