Likely Wine Theft- What would you do?

Camera, then confront.

Just lock the door? That is dumb. IF she is stealing wine, why would anything else be safe?

Camera. Find out for sure. Maybe it is the Aunt or someone else close to you. Find out, and then confront, lock door, change locks, tell neighbors and friends who use her.

Pretty simple. To confront her without that proof, would be extraordinarily stupid n many ways.

Steve - I have 3 cameras at my place. That only covers a sliver of the possible areas. If someone is determined to steal, they don’t have to do it within the coverage zone. Additionally, its genuinely difficult to monitor them historically, even with motion sensors, and capture something that might be ‘confirmatory’ of theft suspicions. Maybe you can get a system with 16 cameras or something, but is that really the first/best response to this problem?

I don’t see the upside that people seem to get from a confrontation. That bottle of 2005 l’Eglise Clinet is not magically coming home. Also I don’t think people grasp how much more risk they are taking letting the person back in the house at all.

In fact if one had a theft at the house, and could lock in the loss at a $500 bottle or something, that would be a pretty good ‘deal’, compared to the range of possible losses, and the security measures one has to take afterwards.

16 cameras to cover his wine cellar? I better be nicer to Steve!

Innocent until proven guilty.
“If” she… Is not a fact.

That’s for government. No such rule exists in personal relations.

You accuse / eject someone based on supposition and logic without evidence, then more stuff goes missing. What then? If there are multiple parties with access and opportunity, you really need to collect direct evidence before acting. If you put the lock on, it will be a tip off that you are suspicious. Do the camera surreptitiously and you are more likely to get evidence sooner.

Does OP have kids or other relatives with access?

Sounds like a mainland Chinese cellar, provided by HiKVission!

Dear Nathan,

You should read before passing sentences. I didn’t realize that having video evidence of theft was not good enough for your law degree.

You should let your insurance company know how worthless your cameras are. OR, maybe you have too much wine, or maybe too many exits for perps to escape. Have you spoken to Tom Cruise about this?

My bad.

Sorry about that - I got you confused with somebody else.

We’re good.

Have you spoken to Tom Cruise about this?

[rofl.gif]

This thread had been bugging me for days [just the general tenor of the conversation, which struck me as bizarre], but after reading your reply for the third or the fourth time, the lightbulb finally lit up in my head, and I think now I’m starting to understand what people are really talking about here.

If you’re a redneck who’s been staying out in the boonies for a sufficient length of time, you completely lose the ability to divine the psychological ebbs & flows & nuances & ententes of Big City Talk.

Nathan

At present my neck is red and I definitely live out in the boonies (which is why I have to get some of my elevated wine talk fix here) so please do help me with understanding these nuances to which you refer.

After some discussion with my wife about what we had for dinner last night and what we drank with it, I again suggest a camera system and a check of your recycle bin. It dawned on us that if you are our age, you may find out you are the unknowing culprit.

Impeccable logic! Should we take it upon ourselves to warn his friends about him?

[wow.gif]

Don’t forget to warn the Reinemachefrau as well. [whistle.gif]

+1. If the cellar is in a location where the cleaning person wouldn’t go anyway you could also put the camera outside. Don’t rule out the dog walkers - they might not drink but might like to provide nice gifts.