Likely Wine Theft- What would you do?

Don’t buy Bordeaux.

Wait.

Skip the camera to avoid further loss, but tell people you know to accept further
loss and install cameras?

Why do you hate his friends?

He hates everybody and hopes they go away!

Install a camera. If and when the camera catches her stealing a bottle, ask about it and show her the video.

Then fire her and tell her other clients because they’re at risk too.

First, I’d install a lock.

Then, I’d confront the housekeeper. If she admits it, I’d fire her.

If she denies it … I’m not sure what I would do. There ARE other possible thieves. All seem unlikely, but any are possible. I’d probably tell the story to the other suspects and see how they respond. Now everyone knows you suspect mischief, so that alone would probably stop the thievery. If after all this you still think the housekeeper most likely, then go ahead and fire her.

As far as telling her other clients: I don’t think you have any obligation to share this story unless she admits her crime or you have some other proof. Your guess that she is responsible doesn’t seem like enough, to me, to destroy her livelihood. Just not proportional to the damage done to you.

Do nothing until you have solid proof. There’s no need to go around accusing anyone. Even the mere fact of discussing it with cleaning lady will ruin the relationship. Install hidden cameras. 4k cameras are not expensive.

[winner.gif]

This
Would be pretty embarrassing to confront the cleaning lady and then find out Uncle Ernie and Auntie Gin were the Bordeaux guzzlers

Odds are best it is the cleaning lady as she has the most unfettered access but its not always the most obvious person

Despite reservations about a camera that seems to be the second best option. First best option is to lock the cellar. I have a so-called “janitor’s lock” on my cellar door - insulated steel door. It requires a key from the outside but cannot be locked from the inside. No way to be locked in (for better, or maybe for worse).

Just telling your cleaning person that she is no longer going to clean the cellar may be enough to give you the information you need to make a call. But for me, once trust is broken, it’s hard to imagine feeling good about having that person in your house.

Buy Australian red ooze-monsters. Capital punishment, for sure.

Loved that!

Also, check her Cellar Tracker notes. See if it fits her profile or if she slipped up and made a note about your wine.

Might want to check CC and see if she is trying to move the bottles.

Ouch.

These are very sensitive motion detectors and the events are logged. This would be an inexpensive way for surveillance. I would lock the cellar and not give her the key.

This

It’s not fair to you or the cleaning lady to let her go without proof and without explanation. You’d all be left wondering what the real story is, and you may have regrets and doubts after her long service. Much better to put in a camera or the motion sensor and know for sure.

Locking the cellar moves the issue to other parts of the house. Lock up everything in the house?
You need to know exactly what is going on in the premises.

Get a camera.

Another vote for a camera before doing anything else.

Sorry I should have been more clear with my suggestion:

• Release them for further service via text. The reason for that is to avoid a confrontation in your house. Even if it may feel emotionally satisfying, you don’t really know what someone might do at the time…or afterwards. Some of you might remember that recent case of a Conn. woman killed by her gardener after she confronted him about missing items.
    Afterwards just tell mutual ‘employers’ that you are no longer using the services of this person. And add that they might consider installing cameras (and maybe leaving bait out if you think that gets the point across) That is factual and people can make their own determination as to what course to pursue. Do it verbally, not via email.
    I think its madness to allow someone into the house in any capacity if you have real reason to believe they are stealing. Locking the cellar door? They can just take something else.
    Also it will be expensive, but you’ll have to get all your house locks re-keyed. It cost me about $500 to do that once. Unf, if the cleaner knows they are never coming back, they have plenty of incentive to tip off burglars as to what fence-able valuables might in your home, and provide a key along with your likely schedule.

This whole idea of ‘not hurting their livelihood’ is BS that I totally reject. If someone has stolen from a client of two decades THEY are the one who has torched that relationship. And if someone is stealing from one client, they’re not stopping there. They have some issue - gambling, drugs, etc. - that is driving this behavior.

One additional irritant about reporting property theft is that it is not only unlikely to be addressed by local police / prosecutors…but it will then eventually get logged into an insurance database -Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Experience (CLUE). That is mapped onto land parcels, not people, and can mean that even if the loss is under the deductible, and no claim was ever even made, one’s home insurance rates can go up since underwriting models generally believe ‘frequency leads to severity’.

I think you’re imposing some kind of standard that will stand up to a couple levels of judicial review! This is an at will casual labor situation, you don’t need to provide an explanation.

We went through something similar in the distant past. Our chapter house had a cook with a key, and anytime someone bought a nice bike or stereo, it would go missing fairly shortly afterwards. This was before the era of cheap/easy cameras so no tech solutions for catching anyone. They ended up letting the cook go - for other reasons - and amazingly enough all the constant stream of high value targeted thefts stopped.

OP can see if they continue to have losses after the cleaner is gone. If so, they’ll know they were wrong, and the ‘leak’ hasn’t been plugged. They can go back to the cleaner, hat in hand, and apologize in that situation.

But I doubt that is the result.