Let's use our buying power...

I have an idea…

We have tremendous buying power as demonstrated on BerserkerDay, when literally thousands of bottles were sold.

I think we could approach a winery with a pallet order - 56 cases - or several, with a very attractive price.

Obviously this would be easy with most American wineries, as the economy really hit them hard, but let’s get creative and come up with something that is worth creating a buying conglomerate over. Don’t mention Krug, as they won’t have any part of it, from what I’ve heard.

Suggestions?

Assuming you limit it to people in the US, you’d need an importer if you’re not selling US wines and then a retailer because in a lot of states the importer/distributor can’t sell to private individuals. I also assume you’d want to collect the money from the individuals before ordering? Assuming you get 30 days, which may or may not be the case, if you don’t have everyone’s money someone would be on the hook for the order. Then someone would have to ship it out to all the individuals. I’ve done it a few times with barrels but never with people across the country. Still, it’s a nice idea and why not give it a try?

Set up an escrow account and limit it to people who live within driving distance of the delivery.

5 year t-bills are at 2.35%. Commodities are very frothy.

Certainly this could do better. I’m in.

By ‘suggestions’, I mean wines/wineries/chateaus/etc

[snort.gif]

In that case I think the target is fairly easily defined.

1. High production of limited selection
  2. Relatively high retail cost ($80+?)
  3. Long distinguished history
  4. Wide distribution

I think the business plan requires figuring out that the cost model of getting it from middle man to us actual nets savings with the first assumption being we have more leverage than a large retailer would normally extend for one lot.

Precisely…

Talk to The Todd - Anderson Conn Valley!

There is an incredible amount of unknown wineries that have issues with to much stock. Will people buy these wines untasted even if they are great prices?
I understand what you’re suggesting Todd but if it isn’t a winery with a known reputation will the wines move. I think there are variables and what Greg said is true.
Maybe if there was a berserker tasting panel that could approach some of these lesser known wineries, try their wines and discuss doing an exclusive here would be a possibility.
If the wineries are not licensed to ship then it’s another issue but I think overall it’s not a bad idea.
I realize I didn’t give you wine suggestions. pepsi

DRC! DRC! DRC! DRC! DRC! DRC! DRC! DRC! DRC! DRC! DRC! DRC! DRC! DRC! DRC! DRC! DRC! DRC! DRC! DRC! DRC! DRC!

…Dujac?

[smileyvault-ban.gif]

I’d suggest you get a retail alcohol license if you think you can sell pallet quantities, you’ll draw attention you don’t want. Not sure why you think you can do this better or more efficiently than people that already do this for a living, often on a much larger scale (garagiste, WTSO, Cinderella, etc.).

I’d suggest particular wineries, but a) I don’t buy any significant amount of domestic wines; and b) you need to think about the above first.

For massive participation, it needs to be one of two things (imo):

1. (relatively) unknown winery selling good-to-excellent wine at a stupid-low price; or
  2. a very well-know winery selling excellent wine at an excellent - to - stupid-low price

For this to work, “excellent price” must be defined as a price that beats WS Pro low.
“stupid-low” should be defined as peoples’ jaws are breaking as they hit the floor

As for specific suggestions, I’ll stand aside, as I will not be able to participate in this great idea if it comes to fruition.

another quick thing:

The CT board is currently on its second consecutive year of going in on a couple of barrels — given the healthy number of berserkering winemakers, it might be easier to arrange for a Berserk Barrel Project, wherein the board buys a couple (few?) barrels of wine made by a berserk winemaker.

Edmunds St. John. As if they aren’t priced so reasonably already! flirtysmile

hospice ?

I wonder if this is how The Wine Society in the UK started? Well, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t internet BB based, given that TWS started in 1874. But still, a membership based cooperative buying directly from the producers and selling to members for a great price. Sounds eerily familiar.

Maybe you/we could get some semi-cult wines that had high list prices that didn’t sell due to the recession.

Good luck!

Hmm. High quality, high(ish) dollar brands that we might get on the cheap in quantity - here are some names I can think of in Napa.
Corison
Ehlers Estate
Quintessa
Is there any older Cloud View (property now owned by Continuum) around?
Call Barbara Richards at Paloma to see if she has extra supply on hand?

I’m fine with this as long as we can take delivery in Vermont newhere

Seriously, I think this is a fun idea.

I’m in. As many have pointed to, there are obstacles, but I’ve no doubt they can be overcome. I think this can be in everyone’s best interest.

I would add Ch. Montelena to the above list - I have experience that indicates they are not beyond deeply discounting at high volume.

Great idea:

Here are my 2 cents:

1. Cantina Fortitudo - they are based in Monte Scudaiao and I think do not have a US importer. They also make a Brunello. Wonderful wines. I bet 50+ cases would interest them. http://www.cantinefortitudo.it/ita/index.php

2. Domaine de la Mordoree: Their distribution in the US is horrible for anything beyond their CndP. And they make a bunch of different wines, some of which (many) don’t make it to the states. And they maintain a mailing list and thus sell direct already.

3. Ch La Tour: What? Yes! Before you roll your eyes, I will tell you that they are ACTIVELY considering a direct to consumer model> I was just there and they were very interested in getting all of my contact info for future communication. And they are swimming in older vintages. They see how Cali wines go direct and are looking to emulate that model at least for a small portion of their portfolio. Maybe not thick discounts - but access to older vintages with perfect provenance at “club” pricing might be within reach. And perhaps better pricing on their second and third labels. Same for Pichon Baron, btw (esp now that they own Pibaron).

I bet we could create a Berserker Club that would be palatable to at least some of these folks, or the like. Other folks? How about our own Eric Texier? Amazing wines and a great portfolio. Domain Durban - great portfolio of wines coming out of Beaumes de Venise, reds and whites. Not seen much states side, other than the muscat.