Let's talk trocken

Any comments on K.H. Schneider’s Marbach GG 2018?

It’s a year later. What have you found Brian? I know that you and I both have gotten hooked on Falkenstein. What else?

1 Like

Been sampling some 2019 dry wines from the Pfalz. Burklin-Wolf ‘Forst’ was very good. I tried a couple of different wines from Mosbacher, and they left me scratching my head a bit. Good wines, but felt like they should have been a lot better.

Nice thread bump!

I’ve enjoyed trying Keller Von Der Fels and a couple bottles of Emrich-Schönleber trocken bottlings (in addition to the GGs) the first time. From Fass Selections, I’ve been impressed with the QPR of Juliane Eller’s Juwel and Frühmesse bottlings, though he rarely sends emails out on those and I don’t know anyone else who imports them. Then of course some of the trocken riesling from Source|Material’s “Golden Generation” offer.

I don’t really buy any riesling anymore, with one exception: Keller’s Von der Fels. I buy 3-4 bottles every year. At 26$ (In Denmark atleast) it is just such a good wine!

a rather dry subject. I’m a huge Trimbach fan—FE, especially.

I seem to have missed this thread last time around.

1. Seems like a good time to check in on my 2016 Molitor Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Spätlese white capsule!
  2. I 2nd the Thörle Ortswein recommendation. The Saulheimer Riesling Kalkstein is delicious.

Others have already mentioned Wittmann & Keller VdF which are the two best in my book along with the Leitz rounding out as my top 3.

I don’t know how I didn’t comment on this thread initially. Classic berserker thread, someone asks for German trockens less expensive than GGs and gets multiple suggestions for an Alsatian wine that’s just as expensive as many GGs.

Wittmann 100 Hills is an amazing value. I’ve never aged it, but I’m sure it will age well, at least in the short-medium term.

Seehof Kirchspiel, ditto, as well as Seehof Morstein. I think the latter needs age. The Kirchspiel is probably the best value I know in dry Riesling. Seriously.

Obviously Keller von der Fels, as has been mentioned.

I would highly recommend trying the dry wines of Ulli Stein, 2019 was a hugely successful vintage across the board for him.

Bumping after two years to see if anyone has anything new to add. Von der Fels seems to have increased to about $50 since this thread started. What trocken Riesling do you like today at closer to $30-$40?

Emrich-Schonleber Mineral

3 Likes

I’ll second that!

There’s quite a few of the White Capsule-wines from Markus Molitor that are lovely and not too expensive in Europe at least.

2 Likes

Was very impressed with he 22 Keller trocken, that’s still under $30.

There’s also the Weiser-Künstler kabi trocken and Stein’s Palmberg kabi trocken. All very good

These are closer to $40, but they are effectively baby GGs from younger vines:
Schafer-Frohlich’s Schiefergestein (young vine Felseneck)
Emrich-Schonleber’s Fruhtau and Halgans (young vine Frühlingsplatzchen and Halenberg)

2 Likes

I agree with Alan’s point that when you go to drier Riesling, you should not just focus on German wines but also look to Rieslings from Austria and Alsace. I don’t know that much about Austrian Riesling, but there are some wonderful wines from Alsace. The best I have had (with a price to match) is Trimbach’s Clos Sainte Hune, which can be absolutely wonderful. The Cuvee Fred is also quite good but a step down IMHO from the CSH.

Two other favorite producers of mine from Alsace are Albert Mann and Paul Blanck. I had a 2017 Schlossberg from Paul Blanck last week while in Paris that was fabulous. My wife did not want me to get an Riesling from Alsace that night for dinner until she tasted the wine - she should have known better since we visited the Domaine while in Alsace in 2011. Schlossberg is a great vineyard and both Mann and Blanck make great examples from there.

Recently had a Rieslingfreak #12 from Australia (Barossa of all places?) that was awesome. So bright and sharp with very minimal petrol.

Not a GG but delicious and crazy inexpensive I’ve been going through cases of 2021 Dr. Loosen Red Slate Riesling Trocken. It’s around $16.00 retail, all estate fruit sourced from Erni’s holdings in Loesnich, Uerzig, Erden and Wittlich. Disclosure I used to buy Erni’s wines to import into Massachusetts but I’m retired and now he is just a friend.

Not a brag but I do drink quite a bit of riesling at all levels and I posted about a great wine for $8 and got zero comments.

1 Like

Robert, I missed your post on the Kimich originally, but I have had that wine and really liked it. Killer deal and I love the liter format with screwcap. Great for summer gatherings.

1 Like