Lets talk Grillo!

I have just enjoyed a nice Grillo from Sicily, this one had 20% viognier blended in. Jancis R writes….Grillo is a classic Sicilian variety… DNA studies have shown that Grillo is the offspring of a natural crossing between Catarrato Bianco and Muscat of Alexandria (Zibibbo) – Vigorous, productive and resistant to winter cold. Mid-ripening. Susceptible to powdery mildew.”

TN: 2013 Stemmari Dalila Bianca Terre Siciliane.

Good natural cork, $20 Cdn, 13% alc. Very attractive label with musical tones, lot LB4268.

Color is a rather deepish lemon. On the nose I find some mineral earthy tones, citrus, apple, “tad grassy maybe” from across the table.
Initial entry thought is quite off dry, sharp, precise. Good fruit balance , v good acidity, pear, apple and a memorable finish. Very happy to have another bottle handy.

Try Baglio del Cristo di Campobello’s Laluci, a 100% Grillo from Agrigento’s hinterland, if you can find it. Style is perhaps a little prominent here. Nonetheless, the wine is so good it’s difficult to argue with.
Feudo Montoni’s Vigna della Timpa is another excellent Grillo in purezza from cca 20 year-old vines by a first-rate winemaker from a very interesting and unusual terroir.
Caruso and Minini’s Timpune from Salemi is also very good.
Then there are, of course, the de Bartoli wines Vignaverde (young vines, I think) and Grappoli del Grillo, Some people believe the latter to be Grillo’s best, most typical and most consistent expression.
From my perspective, though, you can see Grillo at perhaps its most ravishing in Terzavia’s great, unusual and exceptionally intense sparkling wines (also made by de Bartoli).

+1 on Terzavia.