Let the 2009 Cotes du Rhone Roll . . . [Post your Favorite]

The '09s are hitting the shelves en masse. So far these babies are showing fairly well to me. Lots of QPRs.

Back on ebob we had a great '07 CDR thread running with lots of great recommendations posted. Would be cool to get another one of those started. I discovered a few gems back on that thread.

2009 Cercius Cotes du Rhone Villages, Visan
A nice change from some of the dense purple CDRs that are flooding the marketplace. Sparkly ruby color. Clean aromas of red fruits, florals and light spice. Crunchy currants and spicy raspberry. Crisp, lifting acidity. Some creaminess. Medium weight with a shortish, slightly dry finish. $14.00. (88 pts.)
2009 Domaine la Garrigue Cuvee Romaine, Côtes du Rhone
Purchased with caution given my very mixed experience with the '07. I think I passed on the '08s. A bit more serious than the Cercius. Slight darker and more brooding in coloration. Kirsch liquor and more defined florals on the nose. More full bodied. Mixed red and black fruits and licorice. Enjoyable now but I can see some positive evolution over 3-4 years. $14.00 (89 pts.)

2009 Chateau Puech-Haut Prestige, Coteaux du Languedoc
Okay, technically not a Rhone, but close enough. This is one heck of a serious QPR. I bought it at $17.99 presale, BTC, but am now seeing it around $24.00 by the bottle. Still worth the fare, though perhaps not BTC. A weighty, more serious, more complex wine. Higher concentration of syrah than the above (which are 15% and 25% respectively), clocking in around 45%. Also as with the above, the remainder is all grenache. Deceptively balanced wine given my preconceived impression from seeing 15% ABV on the label. Dense, structured, with a long finish. Some spicy red fruits mixed with sweetish darker fruits, including plums. Some Kirsch and spice. Drinks more like an '07. (90 pts.)

I have also had the 2009 St. Cosme syrah and Domaine d’Andezon, both of which are solid performers as well. Tried too long ago for me to assemble some thoughts on them, but liked them enough to have ordered more.

Please post your '09 daily drinkers!

Cheers.

Robert

Tried a very smart 09 and 2010 on Monday night Robert.

2010 Maxime-Francois Laurent Cotes du Rhone ‘Il Fait Soif’: Now this is a drink. It may not please the technocrat but it is one of those natural wines that smells and tastes so damn good. The fruit is ripe but not overly so and resembles blood plum and fresh blackberries. There’s a leafy, stalky quality that smells like freshly crushed bunches as they’ve been beaten in the crusher and there are all sorts of pleasant floral perfumes. It is slinky in the mouth with a sensual velvety texture and finishes deceptively long. 100 % Grenache made at the cult winery Gramenon.

2009 Domaine les Genestas Cotes du Rhone ‘Signargues’: Decidedly ‘missionary position’ after the Laurent but utterly engaging none the less. Black olives, liquorice and dark cherry fruits are laced with some lavender and violets. There’s lovely plump, sweet fruit in the mouth that’s tinged by savoury, earthy notes. It is generous and supple but finishes with decent grip. 50% Grenache, 30% Syrah and 20% Mourvedre.

Best Regards
Jeremy

Disclaimer: I have sold some of these wines.

09 St Cosme Gigondas Le Poste is great, very complex, savoury and floral, big structure, lots of ripe tannins, has 30-40% Syrah. Cheers Mike