Leroy | Grivot | d Auvenay | Sauzet

__About last Friday, we started with an elegant, refined, Puligny-like 2009 Bâtard-Montrachet from Pierre Morey (92 pts) , next up was a bottle of 2013 Jadot Montrachet with ripe, dense citrus, broad and good but not great (93 pts)!!

2004 Domaine d’Auvenay Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Folatières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru (12/23/2018)
Wow! Sensational, bursting nose. Very concentrated, with immense drive, powerful citrus, intense mineral, nutty and spicy ending impressive and explosive on the finish!! (97 pts.)

1959 Maison Leroy Grands-Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Grands-Echezeaux Grand Cru (12/23/2018)
Rich, intense, mature nose. On the palate sweet, round with secondary fruit flavors, earth and classic spice, ending incredibly complex and long. A wine of charm and seduction Brilliant!! (96 pts.)

2007 Etienne Sauzet Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Montrachet Grand Cru (12/23/2018)
Elegant, intense lime nose. Delicious, elegant, ripe citric, very long with a mineral stony finish! (95 pts.)

2001 Domaine Jean Grivot Richebourg - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Richebourg Grand Cru (12/23/2018)
Primary with a nose of Asian spice and traces of cassis and earth. On the palate intense flavors with good acid, fruit and tannin balance that deliver excellent length and potential! (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

There are very few wines better than aged d’Auvenay.

Sounds like a great night!

Cheers.

that 59 Leroy GE, along with the 62 La Romanée, were awesome deals back in the day. Good to see it’s still alive and well.

Last year I opened at different times my only bottle of Jadot Montrachet and my only bottle of 2005 Jadot Demoiselles. The former was exactly as you describe and the latter was easily one of the best Chardonnays I will ever have.

From what I’ve read, Grivot improved exponentially starting with 2005, and the prices followed suit.

Great note on the Grands Echezeaux. They were fantastic deals and wonderful wines.
So good to see a note on this one as well as that wonderful d’Auvenay.

I used to buy those 1er cru d’Auvenays for a what would now be considered a song. They were and are such beautiful wines.

"On the palate intense flavors with good acid, fruit and tannin balance that deliver excellent length and potential! "
Very good… but when?.. given current market, it would be nice some of these wines deliver rather than promise potential… Any hope?