Learning Italian Wines in One Year?

The Winehouse has a lots of good wines. Prices are OK, especially for the West coast. Just scrolling through the first few pages for Italy shows some nice and interesting choices. Manhattan seems OK also. Seems to have a smaller selection. But it might just be the websites.

Excellent breakdown provided by Ian.

Can add a few humble notes about Friuli and Sardinia (for Basilicata look out for aglianico):

Friuli - very interesting wine region (border to Slovenia and influenced by alps and Mediterranean climate) with plenty of good (smaller) winegrowers and interesting grapes - native and international varieties. For red look out for schippettino, pignolo and refosco dal peduncolo, regional high quality grapes. International varieties such as cabernet franc and merlot can be very good as well. For whites fruliano, ribolla gialla (a bit of skin contact gives depth), verduzzo and picolit (sweet wines) are very interesting. Carso area near Trieste have refosco and terrano (similar but not same) reds native to Istria, as is white Malvasia. Vitovska is another native white worth exploring grown in both Italian and Slovenian Karst. Yes many Amber (to various degrees) and “natural” high quality wines.

Sardinia - many interesting native grapes and to me, one of the most beautiful and places in the Mediterranean, diversity in each corner of the island. Among red, Cannonau is widely available and can in the right hands be very good. Dettori perhaps polarizing, and can be profound if to your liking. Argiolas’ Turriga probably the most famous.
Carignano del Sulcis Is another interesting red. For white wines Vermentino from the north (Gallura) is worth a try. Rare and if you like oxidative white wines, try a Malvasia di Bosa. Plenty of lesser known grapes to explore.

Enjoy the journey!

Excellent summary Ian!

I’ve explored Italian wines in depth for 5+ years now and have also barely stretched the surface. I went through Sotheby’s Wine Encyclopedia in detail and married that up with the wine bible to create the list below. Unfortunately it doesn’t render here but would be happen to send you my spreadsheet.

My additions:

• Basilicata - explore Aglianico del Vulture Superiore DOCG producers such as Elena Fucci for aglianico.
  • Peidmont - add white grape arneis
  • Sardinia - red grape Cannonau (Cannonau di Sardegna) is granche. Hard to believe the wine is the same as from Rhone (and California) , much lighter in style and has a nice salinity.
  • Friuli-Venezia Giulia - Refosco is worth hunting down. But like other non-prestigious regions, availability and quality is sometimes lacking.
  • Trentino Alto-Adige - look for Elena Walch, endless variety (including a reisling-chardonnay blend!) and Colterenzio

Country Region Leading Sub-Region Type Grape Drink Range
Italy Piedmont * Barbaresco Red Nebbiolo 5-20
Italy Piedmont * Barbera d’Alba Red Barbera 5-12
Italy Piedmont * Barbera d’Asti Red Barbera 3-8
Italy Piedmont * Barolo Red Nebbiolo 8-25
Italy Piedmont * Dolcetto Red Dolcetto 1-5
Italy Piedmont Gattinara Red Nebbiolo (Bonarda, Vespolina) 6-15
Italy Piedmont Ghemme Red Nebbiolo (Bonarda, Vespolina) 4-15
Italy Piedmont Nebbiolo d’Alba Red Nebbiolo 4-10
Italy Piedmont Spanna Red Nebbiolo –
Italy Piedmont * Arneis White Arneis 3-5
Italy Piedmont * Asti White Moscato Upon purchase
Italy Piedmont * Gavi White Cortese 2-3
Italy Piedmont * Moscato d’Asti White Moscato Upon purchase
Italy Lombardy * Valtellina Superiore DOCG Red Nebbiolo 5-15
Italy Lombardy * Valtellina Rosso DOC Red Nebbiolo
Italy Lombardy * Sforzato Red Nebbiolo
Italy Lombardy * Franciacorta DOCG Sparkling Chardonnay, Pinot Noir 2-5
Italy Lombardy Terre di Franciacorta DOC Both International 1-3 white, 3-8 red
Italy Liguria Various DOCs Both Numerous
Italy Valle D’Aosta Various DOCs Both Numerous
Italy Trentino-Alto Adige * Alto Adige Both Teroldego, Schiava, Lagrein, Kerner 2-5 white, 2-10 red, 1-3 sparkling
Italy Trentino-Alto Adige * Trentino Both Teroldego, Lagrein, others
Italy Veneto * Amarone della Valpolicella (DOCG) Red Corvina, Rossignola, Begrara, others
Italy Veneto * Valpolicella (Superiore) Red Corvina, rondinella, molinara Upon purchase, 2-5
Italy Veneto Valpolicella “Ripasso” DOC Red Corvina, rondinella, molinara 6-15
Italy Veneto Bardolino Superiore DOCG Red Corvina, rondinella, molinara
Italy Veneto * Soave Classico DOC White Garganega, others 1-4
Italy Veneto * Prosecco di Conegliano-Valdobbiadene Sparkling White Upon purchase
Italy Friuli-Venezia Giullia * Friuli-Venezia Giullia Red Refosco, Schioppettino, tazzelenghe 3-8
Italy Friuli-Venezia Giullia * Friuli-Venezia Giullia White Ribolla Gialla, Friulano, others 1-3
Italy Tuscany * Chianti Red Sangiovese 3-5 (everyday), 4-8 (mid), 6-20 (classico)
Italy Tuscany Carmignano DOCG Red Sangiovese 4-10
Italy Tuscany * Brunello di Montalcino Red Sangiovese 10-25
Italy Tuscany Rosso di Montalcino Red Sangiovese 5-15
Italy Tuscany * Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Red Sangiovese 6-25
Italy Tuscany Rosso do Montepulciano DOC Red Sangiovese 5-15
Italy Tuscany * Super Tuscan Red Sangiovese, Cabernet, others
Italy Tuscany Toscano IGT Red Sangiovese, Cabernet, others
Italy Umbria Orvieto DOC White Trebbiano Upon purchase
Italy Umbria Torgiano DOC Both Various 1-5 (white), 3-8 (red)
Italy Umbria Torgiano Riserva DOCG Red Various 4-20
Italy Umbria Montefalco Sagrantino DOG Red Sagrantino 3-12
Italy Latium (Lazio) Lazio IGT, other Both Various
Italy Emilia-Romagna Emilia White Lambrusco, trebbiano, albana, others
Italy Emilia-Romagna Romagna Red Sangiovese di Romagna, others 3-7 (sangiovese)
Italy Marche Rosso Conero DOC, Rosso Piceno DOC Red Montepulciano, Sangiovese 6-25 (Conero), 4-10 (Piceno)
Italy Marche Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi White Verdicchio 1-4
Italy Abruzzi Montepulciano d’Abruzzo DOC Red Montepulciano 4-8 (cerasuolo), 8-20
Italy Abruzzi Trebbiano d’Abruzzo DOC, others White Bombino, trebbiano 1-3
Italy Molise Molise Both Various
Italy Campania * Taurasi DOCG Red Aglianico 5-10 (some 20)
Italy Campania Falerno del Massico DOC Both Aglianico, falanghina, fiano, greco 3-7 (red), upon purchase (white)
Italy Puglia Puglia Red Primitivo (zinfandel), Uva di troia
Italy Basilicata Aglianico del Vulture DOC Red Aglianico 6-20
Italy Calabria Calabria Red Gaglioppo, greco di Bianco
Italy Sicily Cerasuolo di Vittoria DOCG, Vittoria DOC Red Nero d’Avola, Nerello (frappato)
Italy Sicily Etna Red Nerello Mascalese, Nerello Cappuccio
Italy Sicily Sicilia IGT Both Various
Italy Sardinia Sardegna Semidano DOC Red Cannonau
Italy Sardinia Vermentino di Gallura DOCG White Vermentino

This a good book for the grapes.

https://www.iandagata.com/en/native-wine-grapes-of-italy/

Since you have a interest in Sicily.

https://vinicolabenanti.it/

http://www.vinifranchetti.com/passopisciaro/
http://www.valcerasa.com/

http://www.agricolaocchipinti.it/en/
http://www.centonze-vini.com/
http://www.valledellacate.com/?lang=en

And a good book.

Gary—based on the above, would 3 months each in Piedmont, Tuscany, and Veneto, with a month in each of the remaining four be a ‘good’ way to break down a year for me? Again, just trying to get a sense of the wines produced in each region, so I have more of a base than my current knowledge, which is trying to remember a Chianti Classico from a few months back, etc.

Thank you Gary—was thinking of starting at The Wine House, K&L, Wine Expo, Manhattan Fine Wines, and perhaps WineX and Wine Exchange.

Finding aged bottles is going to my main challenge, but was planning on looking at K&L auctions, Benchmark, and maybe the Wine House.

Thank you Rich—really looking forward to trying to learn as much as I can in a year. I agree with the food pairing…when visiting Italy a few years ago, I had one of owners of Isole e Olena say something that really stuck with me…“Italian wines are not conversation wines. You don’t sip on them while chatting. You have them with food. If you need a wine to sip while chatting, try our Vin Santo”

You would be OK with that plan. Although I would shave some time off the Veneto and add it to Piedmont and Tuscany.

Doug—really appreciate the info here. I’m really looking forward to trying the different whites from Italy…I’ve always heard great things, but haven’t really focused on trying/learning about them. I’m getting the sense from a majority of the responses here, if I’m going to stick with my initial thoughts of using a year to start, to focus on the four main regions then venture out occasionally from there. I like your idea of starting in Piedmont and Tuscany, as I’m most familiar with those areas, though still very limited.

Thank you again Rory–this is extremely helpful and appreciate the offer to share a bottle or two…may have to take you up on that! [cheers.gif]

Thank you Gary!

Cris—I agree Italy is probably the hardest one to start with, but a region I need to start to understand. Starting with the main regions is probably where I’ll start and see how far I can get in a year. I like your suggestions above and will add in a few of the whites from other regions.

David—did you have a systematic approach to ‘learning’ about Italy 5 years ago? Seems like the info above is very in-depth, so just curious. I appreciate the drinking windows for each region.

Thank you Mikael—I will search out your recs. I’m very interested in finding some nice whites from Italy!

Thank you David—this will be what I’m most excited about. Finding wines I’ve never heard of and (hopefully) finding something I really like, that I can share with other people less familiar with the wine or region.

Kelly—this was the exact region why I chose Italy. Been a few times and have spent time in Chianti Classico, Montalcino, Veneto, etc. and the food/wine culture is so much fun. Will be fun to recreate those experiences as best I can, before heading back there.

Don’t forget Hi-Times for the OC. (WineX and Wine Exchange are the same place BTW. [wink.gif] )

Fully agree that with associated food, many wines really come to life, no more so than Lambrusco with cured (and naturally fatty) cured meats. The sum definitely greater than the parts.

Food is such a big part of Italy. And as much as I love the food in many places in Italy, Piedmont is the best. When combined with the wines, it is a devastating one-two punch.