Learning Italian Wines in One Year?

Learning Italian wines in one year is much akin to ‘seeing’ Italy on holiday in a 3 week visit. Yes some famous places will be visited, but the real Italy runs deeper than that.

However in the spirit of learning, I’ve put the regions in ‘an’ order to suggest how the learning might go
• Tuscany & Emilia Romagna & Umbria - explore Sangiovese through very differing interpretations, from the richness of Brunello to the bony structure of Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, via Chianti which can go from one extreme to the other. Venture off into Emilia-Romagna and Umbria to taste some less ambitious wines, but also some lesser seen gems. Stay in Tuscany to experience the super-tuscan / international grape wines, plus cleanse the palate with a real Lambrusco and a few slices of salami.

• Veneto - Explore the three (or 4 if you count ripasso) styles of Valpolicella, big Amarone, sweet Recioto and Valpolicella itself. Then hit the whites of Soave, both dry and in their own recioto form. For Soave, Pieropan are a very safe bet, and deserve recognition for carrying the torch through darker times. Personally I prefer Gini, but others will have their own favourites. For the reds, if you see Roccolo Grassi, they’d be my pick for a questing producer with fairly priced wines.

• Piedmont - Yes Barolo and Barbaresco, but don’t ignore Ghemme, Boca, Roero, Gattinara, Langhe Nebbiolo, Lessona etc. (and across the border into Lombardia for Valtellina or up to Donnas/Donnaz in Valle d’Aosta). Many of us find joy in the different styles of Nebbiolo. Then venture out into Barbera, Grignolino, Freisa, Dolcetto, Vespolina, Timorasso, Erbaluce, etc. and you’ll find some under-rated grapes making a fine variety of wines. Too many recommendations on this forum!

• Lombardy - As well as Nebbiolo from Valtellina, the sparklers of Franciacorta hold a lot of interest / prestige. Less so some of the varietal wines of the region, but as ever, there are always great under the radar wines to dig out

• Abruzzo - Primarily Montepulciano (the grape), but there are other good producers of the much maligned Trebbiano slowly emerging. Styles vary from appetising at the cheaper end, to more substantial, but still appetising. Valentini is off the scale, and Pepe seems to be heading there (cheaper in Italy though). Masciarelli are a safe bet, though I’ve not always enjoyed their fancier wines.

• Trentino Alto-Adige - Whites tend to hold sway and there are some great ones, including (remarkably) some very decent Muller-Thurgau. Nosiola from Trentino is rarely seen, but I love it in table wines, dessert wines and grappa form. Pinot Bianco, Moscato Giallo, and plenty more white grapes from a region many see as the home of Italian white wine. Some interesting & different reds including Teroldego, Marzemino and plenty using French grape varieties. Foradori’s basic Teroldego is a great starting point for that grape.

• Friuli-Venezia Giulia - Not solely orange / natural wines, but it’s become what they are best know for. I still find myself intimidated by this region.

• Marche - Try the Verdicchio wines of Metalica / Castelli di Jesi as a start point. Bucci would be a classy place to start

• Puglia - Reds are to the forefront here, from appetising Salice Salentino, to bigger / riper even figgy wines. A personal favourite is Castel Del Monte, with the grape Nero di Troia often to the fore. Some decent whites, but I’ve yet to have anything but dessert wines to excite (e.g. Moscato di Trani). Rivera’s Il Falcone is a wine worth trying, but do also hint out the wines of further south. It’s also a region where blind punts can be very variable but also very successful.

• Lazio - In the words of Manuel of Fawlty Towers “I know nothing!”

• Sicily - Was over-enthused with international wines, and there are still plenty, but only a small number that I find interesting. However interest in the local grapes has been huge over the last 1-2 decades. Etna is the hotbed of interest, but I’d also recommend the Malvasia wines of the Aeolian islands - Hauner is a good producer to start with (and for reds, I love their Hiera - modestly priced, wonderfully appetising and with a hint of the volcanic ground it’s grown on). Cos or Occhipinti might be good starting points

• Sardinia - A huge gap in my knowledge

• Campania - Reds and whites to excite. As a producer, Mastroberardino is a good safe place to start, but do avoid the very cheap wines in their range (e.g. Lacryma Cristi). Taurasi can age brilliantly, but other places also do good aglianico. Don’t ignore the whites, which have surprising freshness and can be wonderful food wines.

• Liguria - In general the wines are off the beaten track. Sciacchetra is a famed ‘mediatation’ wine and Rossese di Dolceacqua and Cinque Terre whites may appeal, but personally I’d file these as ‘try later on the journey’

• Calabria - Again very weak knowledge

• Molise - Tiny, and thus rarely seen. What I’ve tasted has (IIRC) only been various Biferno wines, which at best are brilliantly simple and appetising food wines, but I’ve also had one that slathered cheap oak over it - yuk!

• Basilicata - Little knowledge, but a strong word goes in for Cantina del notaio who makes very interesting and approachable wines, often quite rich in style, but rarely over-blown

• Valle d’Aosta - Very small indeed, but very much worth exploring. Some local grape varieties (and a few french) but for me Fumin is the pick of the bunch (sorry). Stylistically I see it as somewhere between Pinot Noir and Nebbiolo, but rarely is it made as an ambitious wine. Do try if you see, but the wines can be hit & miss, but the climate (and terrain) is necessarily challenging.

Not only does this not even scratch the surface, it’s not even going to take the protective wrapper off. However it should be a fun and exciting journey.

Regards
Ian

No one knows Italy.

Spend five or ten minutes at VIVC, and you’ll quickly give up on the idea of ever “knowing” Italy [learning VIVC, especially when it comes to Italy, is like trying to read the Unabridged Oxford English Dictionary from beginning to end].

Every single Italian crossroads, in the middle of nowhere, grows a unique variety of Vitis vinifera, with a local cuisine which was developed over the course of millennia so as to be paired with that specific varietal.

Italian wine is the synthesis of {Obscure Variety of Vitis vinifera} x {Micro-Local Terroir} x {Unique-to-the-Village Cuisine}, and it really doesn’t work if you try to remove any one of those three ingredients.

If you really intend to do this, then you better be bankrolled by Jeff > Bozo> 's ex-wife, and you better have a liver the size of a beach ball.

That would be this guy:
bozo.jpg
Not sure if that was intentional or not, but it’s as good a summary as any.

I would take six weeks rather than a whole year. Go with Chianti, Barolo, southern Italy, a couple whites, call it over and done and move on to France.

Nathyn—appreciate the response, and certainly don’t think I’ll ever ‘know’ Italian wine. The number of varieties is immense, as mentioned above by others. However, getting a sense of the regions is my goal, more from a surface level then digging super deep, especially only with an initial goal of one year.

Appreciate the info!

Greg—you may be right, and after a few months of strictly Italian wine I’ll be ready for another adventure. I’m hoping that isn’t the case, and I find a few regions and producers to follow into the future. I’ll get back to you when I look into France [cheers.gif]

Ian—Really appreciate your detailed response here. I’m certainly going to use your recommendations as a jumping off point. I hope by the end of this experiment I’m able to rattle off similar summaries of the regions and wines. Will let you know when I find an interesting wine from Sardinia, Calabria, and Lazio for you to try [cheers.gif]

thats a great strategy. I myself am working on learning Sicilian wines right now. so far I’ve enjoyed every wine I’ve had from Terre Nere and Frank Cornelisson. Terre Nere has some pretty good price points, which is nice. I’m also searching out bottles from Salvo Foti.

For Tuscany, I would suggest Felsina, literally everything they make is great, but in your price point you can often find their Chianti Classico Reserve Rancia, which is reliably a killer bottle, and often the Fontalloro too. In for in Montalcino, good QPRs abound but Il Poggione (both their Rosso and the brunellos) are great, but my favorite reliably good representative for brunello is Ciacci Piccolomini. Bonus: if you can find any of the wines from Montevertine in your price range, buy them!

In Piedmont, it sounds like you’ve got some good options already. I definitely second the Produttori wines.

Brett, I really like your plan. It’s totally reasonable, fun, and a good start on Italy. Of course it’s just a scratching of the surface, but why the heck not? And one wonderful thing about Italy is that you can almost certainly find representative wines from every region for under $50. Not the top handful of obsessed-over producers, but that’s just not a big deal in Italy. My one more bit of advice is to pair Italian wine with food. Italian food is a good choice, but most of what is traditional American food will work well too. Italian wine is meant to be part of a meal!

Since this is a web discussion board, there is an inevitable chorus of haters, nay-sayers and discourages. I’m charmed that you have the fortitude to ignore them.

Probably your biggest challenge is to try wines with age (though many are available still). Don’t be afraid to go back 5 or 10 vintages - there are many great sources in CA that will deliver inexpensively or even free.

Finally if you ever get up to San Francisco let me know. Always happy to share a few bottles over a friendly dinner.

Glad to hear it. I absolutely think the numbers stand at 3 per week, and for regions like Tuscany it may be overkill even, depending on how thorough you want to be.

Some further suggestions just as they pop into my head:
Friuli - Ronci di Cialla (lot of diff wines, very representative), try to find a Friulano, Schiopettino, Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, Merlot, and even a Picolit if you can find it.
Marche - Villa Bucci, Sartarelli both make superb Verdicchio
Lombardy - Ar.Pe.Pe makes some benchmark Valtellina wine, for Franciacorta I’ve found Bellavista quite solid
Veneto - Masi makes a lot of amarone/Valpo that are not unreasonably priced, this is a tough category with different styles so I’d defer to others on the region. My favorite Soave producer is Pieropan (La Rocca).
Campania - Someone else mentioned the white wines here are not to be missed and i agree, Feudi di San Gregorio is an excellent jumping off point for both reds (Aglianico) and whites as I believe they make pretty much everything. Try Mastroberardino’s Taurasi yes, but also their Fiano if you can find it.
Sicily - C.O.S. and Donnafugata are good to look for (try their Ben Rye Passito!)
Tuscany - you’ve obviously tried some Tuscan wine, but at least 3 different Chianti (including a Riserva or Gran Selezione), at least 3 Brunello (try and spread it out from different sub regions, one from Castelnuove, one from a northerly cru like Montesoli etc) and avoid Riservas unless you find an old one that’s affordable, and make sure you get a Merlot from Bolgheri or Maremma, they’re really worth it.
Basilicata - I love Elena Fucci Aglianico but tough to enjoy young, also Notaio is a good, more modern producer.
Umbria - if you have it in your budget a Paolo Bea is worth a go, Caprai is a benchmark but quite a polished modern style that I don’t love. The Grechetto blends from Orvieto are wonderful whites as well

Also I see you’re in LA, I am as well and am happy to share a bottle or two for ‘educational purposes’ sometime.

I think Italy would be the last country to try to ‘learn in one year’. If you really want to learn it up and down anyway. So many varieties and regions. Plus history. Just look at the regional outlines in the Wine Atlas. In some places the local areas overlap and in some places they don’t. And the variety variety is bonkers.

If you just want to learn the top end stuff for keeping up with a good portion of discussions and markets then you just need Barolo/Barbaresco, Brunello/Chianti and ‘Super Tuscans’. Maybe some Valpolicella. Maybe some of the Emperor’s New Clothes wines like Radikon and Cornelissen just to say you did. Various other particular producers from other areas.

But you might also consider tackling another country first depending on your goals.

Maybe some of the Emperor’s New Clothes wines like Radikon and Cornelissen

[wow.gif]

Did anyone say heresy?

Thank you Matt—it looks like I have a few producers to seek out in Sicily: Terre Nere, Salvo Foti, Cos, Occhipinti, Gulfi, Calabretta, Passopisciaro, etc. These should easily keep me busy over the next few months. Frank Cornelisson looks like it’s tough to find in LA…perhaps at a restaurant.

I will keep you Tuscany recs in mind, once I make it north!

You should focus on the big three first. And add a couple other areas of special interest. Learn the rules, and then the exceptions.

1. Piedmont
  2. Tuscany
  3. Veneto

Sicily - Etna
Campagna
Trentino - Alto Adige
Friuli

Kyle Whitney wrote: ↑Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:55 am
If you’re serious, consider this program:

https://www.winescholarguild.org/italia > … rview.html
Kyle–I didn’t even think of doing some sort of formal training, but this certainly looks intriguing. Looks like it starts 2/25 as well. Thank you for the info!

Did you take this course?

This program began as the French Wine Society, then later expanded to offer classes covering Spain and Italy, changing its name to the Wine Scholar Guild. I took the full French Wine Scholar program that covers the entire country, and some classes that drilled down into each region. I took the Bourdeau, Burgundy, Rhone, Provence and Languedoc/Roussillon programs. They are terrific. I highly recommend them (and recommend them when straight, too). I have also taken WSET classes (advanced) and these classes are at the same level, if not deeper than the WSET level three classes.

I have wanted to take the Italian program, but haven’t been able to for personal reasons.

Brett - Take a peak at Tom’s Wine Line blog as he is an Italian wine lover. … https://ubriaco.wordpress.com . You will find some good information on the regions and wines he has tasted.

My Italian wine learning curve hasn’t been as steep as this by any means. I think if you want to have the authentic experience you may want to spend about a quarter of your effort on the well known and recommended wines listed here and in books. The rest of your effort should be spent on going into a well stocked store and choosing wines you know nothing about. Believe me there will be many and I’m sure it’s the way most of us have come to understand the 3,000 plus grapes of Italy.

After 30 plus years of drinking Italian wines I am always able to find a bottle I have never heard of before, even in BC.

A really wonderful thread with lots of great info. You can see how daunting it can be but does not have to. As others have posted I have been traveling to Italy every year for close to 25 years. I think one of the best ways to focus your learning is to develop a passion for a region, its people and foods. If there is a place in Italy that intrigues you go visit. Not just to site see but immerse yourself in the culture. The learning experience will further the passion in the direction you want to go, which may be different than you originally thought.

BTW, after 25 years of drinking and collecting Italian wine, I don’t know much, but much more than enough to have loved the journey.

Here is another good site. Founded by former director of education for the Society of Wine Educators and vice president of wine education for Winebow,