Leaking 2015 Leroy?

Herwig, do you know whether this relates to all of her negoce bottlings? I indeed know of a couple of vignerons who have sold finished bottles to her on which she puts her label, but aren’t there bottlings where she does more than that (ie buy grapes or must)?

I don’t know Jozef .
Btw , I heard that her Meursault Perrieres comes from Albert Grivault … bizarre , she sells it for $ 400 plus while the same wine costs maybe 8 times less if you buy the Grivault one .

TVA.

I’ve spent nearly 20 yrs in the business of supplying wine corks and can’t fathom why

A. In post 2000 era Someone would soak a cork before inserting it into a bottle

B. Overfill a bottle ( most 750 ml bottles need min of 12 mm of headspace between cork and wine).

C. Sell a product under these conditions and try to convince thier customer it is good practices…

This is my business (wine bottle enclosures) and I would always be concerned when I see a wine that is seeping/leaking… sorry but if a winery has good qc and bottling practices the product they supply will be sound and free of functional defect.

Tennessee Valley Authority?

While an odd practice that may not be functionally correct with respect to the cork, since we don’t hear reports of a high percentage of bad bottles it seems to have no deleterious effect on the wine. Only on those who worry it’s a sign of a poor seal.

Herwig, a bit late to reply, but indeed, I have heard this before. Although I am pretty sure she taste multiple perrieres each year and chooses the best one to sell under her own label, so not sure it is the same wine each year. It would be interesting to check whether she has a negoce meursault perrieres to sell each year.

I’ve seen quite a few low fill d’auvenay. But domaine Leroy tends to be pretty high.

highest fill bottles I’ve ever seen are Raveneau and they are never splooged.

• 2015 Maison Leroy Bourgogne - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne (1/25/2019)
    There seems to be a bit of VA that comes through on the palate initially. Scents of earth, tart cranberry, and wild strawberry. The palate is where the VA seems to really scream…leading with a hint of spritz, prickly, almost pop-rocks-esque with a blend of red fruits, clove, and spice. Very-good to excellent.

Posted from CellarTracker

So, I have zero familiarity with Leroy, but your mention of VA and that spritz make me think this bottle was probably not sound. That would also explain the seepage without particularly high fills, which would have me questioning what might happen with those other bottles over time.

Yes, I had one that I enjoyed…but this was actually the third. After my first experience it just didn’t feel like a risk I wanted to take. It’s a producer I just don’t think I’ll buy from again…not like their other wines are affordable anyway. Yet, for the money spent on these I would have enjoyed Champagne more…

Kirk,

Fwiw, I’ve had 3 bottles of the 2015 out of a solid case and there hasn’t been any spritz/prickly quality to any of them…that particular description in your TN makes it sound like some kind of secondary fermentation might have happened in the bottle you opened last night.

Agreed.

I’m glad you got a good bottle, but yeah, these are expensive. The whole cork treatment thing is totally bizarre to me. If they used and applied the corks as intended, you wouldn’t have had the merchant and a bunch of other people telling you seepage is normal and not to worry. That would otherwise be a valid and important warning sign of something going wrong, which it clearly was here.

Do all of you who have purchased this find it offers a premium experience to match the premium price vs. other producers Bourgogne Rouge?

I’m curious about that too. You can get village wines from some pretty solid (not top, but good) producers for what this costs.

Its very common for Maison Leroy…almost the rule it seems instead of the exception

The 2016 Bouchard Bourgogne Rouge is outstanding, widely available, and costs $17 – do I find that Leroy offers a “premium” experience vs. the Bouchard? No, not necessarily. What I do find with the Leroy and always have is that it’s an absolutely unique expression of Bourgogne Rouge, one which I love to have every now and again.

Btw, back to the 2016 Bouchard, easily the best vintage of their Bourgogne Rouge since the 2012, just a killer QPR.