Last Thursday Tasting @ Casa Sena

Last night we went to a tasting of inexpensive wines at Casa Sena Wine Shop. We started with a 2008 Bieler Coteaux d’Aix-en-Provence Rosé - pleasant fruit and acidity and just right for clearing the Margaritas from lunch at Maria’s. Then we went outside on the courtyard for the rest of the wines; first a 2007 NAIA Rueda Verdejo - pleasant, but not as distinctly varietal as most Verdejos I’ve had. Next was a 2006 Señorio de Cruces Rias Baixas Albariño - bright, crisp, and fruity; and a good transition to the first red, a 2008 Colosi Nero d’Avola - rich dark fruit, balanced, and quite tasty. Then we had the most disappointing wine of the tasting, a 2007 Paolo Scavino VdT (nebbiolo, barbera, dolcetto, and cabernet sauvignon) - the cab component gave the wine a harsh, herbal tone, that was quite unpleasant. Next was a 2007 Tenuta Sant’Antonio Corvina ‘SCAIA’ from the Veneto - light, pleasant red fruit with a medium finish. By then some food was supplied - provolone cheese & blueberries and a nice olive crostini. Next to last was a lovely 2007 Domaine de Pierredon Côtes-du-Rhône - nice spicy red and black fruit, balanced with a good finish, from a maker I’d not heard of. Final wine was a very nice 2007 Alain Graillot Crozes Hermitage - rich dark fruit, good balanced mid-palate, with a medium long fruity finish. After the tasting i got a nice selection of half bottles of port and a free bottle of the Crozes as a bonus for buying a case.