Last night with "The Father"

Last minute get-together with Father Saxon last night:

Spring rolls with peanut dipping sauce
Spicy green beans and bok choy
Grilled pesto stuffed Spot Prawns
Grilled chicken skewers
Grilled corn on the cob
Pear tart

I’m still really fuzzy from last night and I’m really not sure why Sax had the Pocahontas band-aids out. I think it was sometime after his yoga demonstration.

The wines all showed fairly well. I think the Woodward Canyon was the 1990?

We started with the 2007 Merry Edwards Sauv Blanc which was drinking very well. Bright acidity that really balanced the fruit.

2007 King Estate Pinot Gris - nice quaffer, for some reason I’ve always like their Pinot Gris

2006 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese: drinking very well now and was a perfect foil for the Spicy Green Beans and Bok Choy. Long life ahead.

2002 Selbach-Oster Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Kabinett: already starting to pick up some secondary characteristics and petrol that I love.

2002? Biale Black Chicken Zin: Classis Black Chicken but seemed to be missing that zip of spice that I normally love with these wines.

2004 Scott Paul La Paulee Pinot Noir: Loved this, enough said.

2001 Belle Pente Murto Pinot Noir: Very Burgundian nose but very Oregon on the palate if that makes any sense. It was nice. :wink:

2000 Warres Port: Painfully young but I liked it too much and I’m now feeling it in the morning.

Really nice job guys.
That looks like a fun group of wines.
I have to try one of Scott’s pinots sometime.

Don,

You have GOT to get some of his 2008’s. They are off the charts. Should be released this fall.

Cheers,

Nice show, guys! The food and wines sound great. I love the Murto vineyard Pinot- incredible character. I have never had the 01. Was it drinking at it’s peak or could go longer?

I’d say drinking at peak really. There are several more years left but it’s very good now.

All the wines showed well with the exception of the 91 Woodward Canyon which seemed to die quickly. Other than that the food and company were great and I woke up with a pretty descent hangover.

Nice work! Looks like a great night!

ANOTHER PEAR TART!!! You guys know how to live!

Don,
Believe it when Phil tells you La Paulee… [thumbs-up.gif]

Glad to see Father Saxon is taking care of you before you join the cool 100+ temps of southern california life, but band-aids won’t help [wink.gif]

I agree with the Biale, the 2002 just doesn’t do it for me. It seems rather weak compared to other vintages.

Killing some younglings with that 2000 Warre’s I see. A very nice bottle of Port it is, and it has a nice long life ahead of it.

I like Biale, nice guy, good people work there and some decent wines, but I have never tasted a Biale wine that truly wowed me.

At least at your place, he uses band-aids…when he came to my place in VT, he had duct tape all over his fingers!

I really like Woodward Canyon’s stuff, too bad the 91 faded.

Who does the cooking at these WA shindigs? Good on whoever does it!

The Woodward Canyon’s do rock. The late 80’s stuff is great as well.

I usually do most of the cooking. In this case I did the green beans w/ bok choy and the corn.
The Spring Rolls were from our friends Don and Karen.
Paula did the skewers and the tart. She makes the best desserts ever.