Last Minute Napa Visit Help Needed

For a quick easy stop right on Highway 29 I would recommend Heitz. It’s the only drop in tasting I know of in Napa that doesn’t charge a tasting fee and they often pour back vintages of the Martha’s Vineyard cab.

Another plug for walking around Yountville – and if you do, consider popping into Hope and Grace for a tasting (right next to Bouchon in case you’re craving something sweet after). :slight_smile:

Since Heitz was sold it looks like those tastings (with the library vintages of Martha’s, etc.) are a thing of the past. From what I gather there is still a free option that includes a taste of their chard, zin, and grignolino, but the various cab’s are now relegated to either the $35 Heritage tasting or the $75 Appellation tasting.

I used to love dropping in to try some back vintages of Martha’s and/or Trailside and picking up some library cab’s from the early 2000’s at a very reasonable markup. Those library bottles are no longer up for sale on their website, not sure if they still sell them in the tasting room or not.

[winner.gif]

And to Nathan, the average 350lb American tourist is not wine tasting in Napa, he/she/they are at Disneyland/Universal Studios/Six Flags Amusements eating deep fried whatever and washing it down with Coca-Cola and Milk Shakes.

I would be what you would likely consider a fat American yet my total Cholesterol is only 180 and my HDL ratio 3.8 so turn off the fat American shaming rhetoric and stick to where to go in Napa for a day trip. [cheers.gif]

For tours Schramsberg and Inglenook are both great

Updated Itinerary for the day that is confirmed:

10am:
12pm: Lunch somewhere on way to next visit (Gotts)
1pm: Barnett
3pm: Pride
4pm: Alpha Omega (if time/not wine logged) then park and walk around Yountville
5:30pm: Dinner at Ad Hoc or Mustard’s

Still deciding on the pre-lunch spot for them, kinda between Domaine Carneros or a full structured tour/tasting like Chimney Rock.

The drive from pride to alpha is 30 minutes and I assume you will want to spend time at pride because of the view. Not sure how late alpha taste. Other then that good plan

Looks great!

To keep haranguing you: be sure to buy the upgraded tasting at Alpha Omega, worth every penny.

Sparkling to start the day at Carneros is a real luxurious thing.

My wife and son and some in-laws are going to the X Ambassadors show at Mondavi at 5pm and will hit the Reserve Tasting Room about 4 pm…we will wave to you as you go past on your way to Yountville!

Wish you the best!

Looks tight between your Pride and AO appointments. You’d have to be leaving Pride by 3:30 pm to make AO. That leave 30 min or less to taste and look around at Pride which is worth looking around a bit.

Thanks all. AO is really optional and added because of its proximity to Ad Hoc/Mustards. More of a how do they feel. Barnett will be done by 2:30 then off to Pride and then they can decide on how to spend the time once they get to Yountville. Domaine Carneros does seem very convenient on the way up and a nice way to break up the morning / afternoon.

Booked 10:15am for them at Domaine Carneros, so here is the current plan:

10:15am: Domaine Carneros
11:30pm: Lunch somewhere on way to next visit (Gotts)
1pm: Barnett
2:45pm: Pride
4:15pm: Alpha Omega (if time/not wine logged) then park and walk around Yountville
5:30pm: Dinner at Ad Hoc or Mustard’s

One big question – do you think this is a good mix / nice way to experience it for the first time? Mainly, should I instead try to fill the 10am slot with a more formal tour/tasting experience? I am on the fence as the above looks so good. Thanks again to all!!

Is Pride a tour? Pride → Alpha Omega will be a minimum of 30 minutes. I think it would be very tough to meet this timeline.

That timeline doesn’t matter, though. Alpha Omega is drop in so if you’re 20 minutes late, no big deal. So if they leave Pride after an 3:45, and the only other thing scheduled is dinner at 5:30, Alpha Omega is a perfect drop in option. It’s on 29 on the way to Ad Hoc from Pride. If time is good, hit it. If not, don’t.

Personally, having been to Napa a few times, I try to keep to 3 wineries per day as a max, so I can enjoy the time and not feel rushed. The last thing I want on vacation is to feel like I’m on the clock. So, my suggestion would be to hit Domaine Carneros and the two Spring Mtn wineries you’ve chosen, then have some time to walk around Yountville or St. Helena before dinner. Mustard’s is my favorite restaurant anywhere - very good food, super friendly staff, great vibe - so that would be my dinner suggestion.

And now I want to go, too!

Start with a massage and end with the cops chasing you to the airport. Everything in between is pure gravy…and I suggest going thick and heavy on the gravy. It’s what tides over the hunger during the lean months.

One last requirement Mike. You must get enough water so everybody in your group will have at least one bottle per winery. Stay hydrated and enjoy the entire day and dinner.

Spit and dump. Yes, I know spitters are quitters and that Bobby never does, but just taste and move on.

Weren’t you arrested in an IHOP just outside of Yountville for doing this last week?

Point is, context matters.

Simply a case of mistaken identity. And it was the A&W in St. Helena.

You can take the Jeb out of DC…