La Paulee 2023 Offline? March 4 - NYC

sign me up!

Alright, that’s all folks. Thanks everyone. Original post updated with more info as well.

Final confirmed list:
@Shan_A
@troy_stark + Gina Stark
@Juliec
@Stephen_Chen
@Mike_C1
@Rohit_B

If anyone needs to drop later on, please advise ASAP so we can fill your spot. Thanks!

Far be it for me to complain about the young 'uns taking over our traditional Anti-La Paulee dinner but I just saw this. Any dinner that someone else organizes is better than me spending time doing it. Is there still room? If so, I would like to attend and bring Pol Roger 2006 Churchill bubbly. If there are two spots, let me know and my wife may want to come as well. She could bring something interesting like one of our Hospices wines, either 2005 Hospices de Beaune Mazis-Chambertin Cuvée Madeleine Collignon Bouchard Père et Fils or 2006 Hospices de Beaune Corton-Cuvée Docteur Peste Faiveley.

2 Likes

Just checked with my wife and if there are two spots, we would like to join you.

Jay thanks for your interest! Didn’t mean to step on anyone’s toes, but I searched for a thread and didn’t find one so got the ball rolling.

At this point we have to check with the restaurant to see if we can alter the reservation. I think Modern only takes reservations once a month (?) so we’ll have to see. Stay tuned, should know shortly.

2 Likes

You missed my point. You did not step on my toes. I was happy that someone else took it over. I have now been organizing wine dinners for 17 years and I am perfectly happy to turn the thankless job over to the next generation. Besides, I now have a grandson and he is more fun.

BTW - We planned the original Anti La Paulee dinner at the request of a high end stereo designer from Germany (Jens in the threads linked below - he designed the system for the Russian Oligarch’s Super Yacht) who was coming to NY for the tastings and seminars but who thought that the price of the gala dinner was ridiculous. We organized the dinner at Keene’s and it cost a lot less, and we drank great wine.

NYC Sat Feb 28 Keens Steakhouse, SAME offline as SKIP-the-La-Paulée (How did I sucker Margie into taking responsibility for this?)

Then we did it again just as COVID hit the fan.

1 Like

Thanks, Jay, for the background. Since we’re from Boston and don’t plan to attend every year, I’m not sure we can call it taking over, but happy to give you a reprieve, even if only for a year. :smiley:

Folks are looking for a little guidance on the theme. It seems in my desire not to be prescriptive about what folks should bring, I may have caused anxiety in the other direction; analysis paralysis. So, to maybe put up some more clearly defined guideposts, let’s try to narrow the field. If anyone disagrees or thinks these parameters too strict, just let me know. As Jay mentioned, organizing these can be thankless and it can be hard to keep everyone happy, but I’ll do my best.

Here are my thoughts;

1. Make sure it’s not on their wine list, which is extensive: https://www.themodernnyc.com/beverages/#wine-list
  2. For Champagne, really important to check the wine list as they have many of the current trendy wines. Stick with Tête de Cuvées from whatever producer you’d like to bring. Some producers have multiple high end bottles. Use your best judgment.
  3. For whites, GCs are preferred, but there just aren’t that many vineyards, so I would also open this up to 1ers from strong producers in villages like P-M, C-M, St. Aubin, and of course Meursault.
  4. For reds, let’s do ready to drink Grand Crus. Alternatively, if you want to bring something ready to drink from a non GC village (Volnay, NSG, etc.), stick with the top producers.

Hopefully this helps.

To give you an idea (no pressure!), we are leaning toward bringing:
2009 Domaine Mongeard-Mugneret Grands Echezeaux and either
2014 Domaine Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Les Vergers or
NV Guillaume Selosse Champagne Ville-sur-Arce Largillier Extra Brut

Late to the party here but if someone drops out, I’d certainly be interested in taking a spot!

1 Like

It certainly seems feasible for the waitlist to put together a second reservation at The Modern or somewhere else!

1 Like

As a heads up, I tend to be allergic to the vast majority of champagne/whites, so I will not be drinking those absent perhaps a taste. Would it be possible to target more than 4 reds and less than 4 whites/champs?

1 Like

Hey Shan,

Sorry to hear that. Usually it goes the opposite way since there are far more biogenic amines in reds than whites. Gina and I drink way more whites and Champagne than reds. Let me talk to her and get back to you.

Best,
Troy

1 Like

Spoke to Gina and we both agreed, since the whole idea is to celebrate our anniversary, we really want to drink some nice Champagne and whites, which we both enjoy immensely. Thus, prefer to keep the balance as discussed. Totally understand if that’s not appealing to you and you want to bow out, just let me know. If so, hopefully you’d be willing to transfer the reservation to me? Either way, hope you can make it. Thanks.

Best,
Troy

1 Like

Troy, appreciate that! Makes sense for me to bow out, otherwise I will drink too much of everyone’s reds! Will transfer reservation over to you.

1 Like

No worries, Shan.

That leaves one spot. I have interest from:

@J_a_y_H_a_c_k
@aambak
@Dinesh_Goyal

Jay, not sure if you’re interested in flying solo? Anyway, first to confirm gets the spot. Thanks!

1 Like

I’m in.

1 Like

Thanks, Jay.

When you get another cancellation, which you will, I will take that one for my wife.

1 Like

Dibs noted. :slight_smile:

Jay beat me to it.

1 Like

You are correct Jay. I have a family event and will not be able to attend.

Hope it’s a great night!

1 Like