La Conseillante 1971

Part of an old cellar purchase. I got the wines this morning, and stood this up, expecting to drink it this weekend. But after I discovered another bottle from the cellar a 1975 Bouscaut was leaking, I poured it down the sink. So despite the fact I should have waited, I pulled out the Ah So, and went after the Conseillante. Usually totally reliable, it left a small piece of cork in the bottle. In the end, after some feeble attempts to extricate the cork, I pushed it in, and used a meshed funnel as I decanted that captured almost all the cork.

So after all the horrible things that I put it through, how did it look and taste?

It was brilliant. The color a clear dark rose, and aromas of smoked meat, flowers and red fruit. Still amazingly fresh, it tasted of the rose hips, spice and fresh strawberries. The finish was long, and layered. Loved the wine, and as it stayed in the glass, it remains fresh, but creeping in were some tertiary aromatics of earth and mushroom. A lovely wine.

7 Likes

Wow! Thanks for the note @Mark_Golodetz - glad this was rewarding!

I haven’t had that one but I’ve had a few really nice bottles of the 1970. Also a surprisingly tasty 1976.

Had the 70 recently which was excellent. Wish I could find some 71.

In the late 1970s, I bought a case of this at Suburban wines in you neck of the woods for my uncle. If the cellar you bought was in the neighborhood, it may have even been from the same lot. I kept one bottle as a commission. I drank it in the mid 1980s and it was excellent.