Kutch Is Out--the rest of the 13s

I went Fo - Fo - Fo.

Skipped Rochioli and went light on W-S & Rhys.

3 Dougall and 2 SC since I already have 4 SC from the winter release.

Sorry for the thread drift, but how many of you all buy both from Rhys and Kutch? And if you do like both, what are the stylistic differences between them? Short essays only. Thanks!

Markus, I do. They both use a good amount of whole cluster, I believe low oak treatments and source from cool climate areas so the wines are similar from that perspective. Generally too, both show red and blue fruit tones to me, along with acidity and balance. Based on the last year or so with my experience, I would put the Kutch Falstaff and Rhys Bearwallow against the best out there from anyone. My sig line below reflects that passion I feel, too.

I find the Rhys pinots to be more dominated by stems when young, to the point that I don’t enjoy them much in their early days. Time will tell if I like them after some aging. My experience is with the 07-12 vintages, so a good sample size and pretty consistent impressions. The exception has been the Rhys appellation pinots which I would assume see less whole clusters. Those are well balanced wines to my palate.

Jamie uses a higher percentage of stems I believe but has a more deft touch IMO. I’ve never had a Kutch Pinot that I felt was overdone with stems. They add complexity to the wines, not something to look past when young. My 2 cents.

I find the two wineries at similar weight/depth levels. That being said, Jamie’s wines are more elegant to my taste. The Rhys wines are chunkier when young. WARNING - dangerous comparison ahead…Rhys is N-S-G to Kutch Volany…though neither tastes at all Burgundian to me. It’s just the best shorthand I can come up with.

Drank a 13 SC tonight. Showed the nice duality of a leaner red fruit yet neither green/lean and no stemminess. Acidity, lithe, 12.3 percent abv, went great with our dinner. Super.

unfortunately with SQN and the CDN$ to US$ these days, some wines have to get cut. frankly, my child will need funds for university so SQN is in.

I too have dabbled with both and have much more Kutch around than Rhys. Kutch has been consistently good since 2009 across all of his PNs. Great aromatics, elegant and balanced, and never seem to close down too much.
I’ve had a harder time trying to figure out why the Rhys wines are as great as everyone thinks. Then within the last year or so I’ve had several superb Rhys PNs that made me a believer. 2009 Swan Terrace, 2011 and 2013 FF, whatever I’ve had from Horseshoe, and the 2013 Alpine.