Kutch before BDVII on Jan. 19.

Mike & Frank - thanks for the notes.

Thanks for the notes Mike and Frank.

I used to drink a fair amount of Hirsch’s wine–I went through a case of their '09 Bohan Dillon that I got for about $30 a bottle all in on a special they ran back in the day. I really liked those wines and they had a fantastic aromatic component that both Mike and Frank hit on. The “M” and “San Andreas” were even better. If memory serves they were all fairly high toned and acidic (in a good way). I’ve also enjoyed Failla’s Hirsch which I seem to remember as a bit more low toned and floral. I’m interested to see what Jamie’s “take” on Mr. Hirsch’s grapes will be. I wonder how Hirsch’s Bohan and Ehren’s Bohan and Jamie’s Bohan compare?

Sigh…well, I might as well add on to the guys—with the distinct proviso that these are barrel sample notes from last May. The Campbell Ranch and Sonoma Stage were two of the components, possibly the main components, in the SC. I adored the Bohan in barrel.

"2014 Kutch Campbell Ranch in neutral Ermitage barrel

115 clone, this goes into the SC. Expressive and expressing, it will have 3 more months in barrel. Hint of cloves, good cardamom and cocoa–Jamie is happy, he smells the stems :slight_smile: This is already very even-tempered on the palate, plenty of red fruit and body, but the feel and vibrancy you’d want as well.

2014 Kutch Sonoma Stage in neutral Remond barrel

Joanna and I say the same thing–a little reductive now. Underneath, chickoree and black cherry. There is plenty of fruit in the mouth but lacks that vibrancy at this early stage

2014 Kutch Falstaff in neutral Taransaud barrel

This also shows stems but in a fine way with nutmeg, cinnamon and red raspberry. Some pomegranate gets added in the mouth, small touch of toast as well.

2014 Kutch Bohan Pinot Noir in neutral barrel

Wow. So much going on in the aromatics. Almost smoked meat becomes a background set to tons of blackberry, dark raspberry, plum and blood orange. And this sings and zings like something else, dazzling to taste—Jamie has been so enthused about this vineyard and, in the 2013, I’d been having difficulty equalling his enthusiasm. I have no such difficulty with the 2014. This might be the best barrel sample of anything I’ve had on this trip and anyone who doesn’t want their 14 allocation of Bohan, just get in touch with me! Spectacular potential"

this is bullshit

Kevin, Jamie, TRB - guys…BerserkerDay is ALWAYS on Jan 27. You don’t have to plan your releases one week beforehand!

I swear, I’m banning the whole shooting match.

Todd, it’s like Christmas advertising and department store displays. Starts earlier every year.

Rivers Marie release dates:
2011 1-18
2012 1-17
2013 1-22
2014 1-21
2015 1-20

No trend with this producer. Always the third week of January on Tuesday morning.

I’m only on a few lists, with Kutch being one of them, and I plan on dropping or going lighter on some of the others starting this month and increasing my Kutch buying. I think these are some of the best pinots coming out of CA today, and I can’t wait to see how a few more years of age treats them. That being said, I still expect Berserker Day to hit me hard! I went light last year and have to make up for that

Jamie, if you happen to drop in this thread, can you give us any info on your chard? I remember seeing a tweet or Instagram post awhile back, I believe it was the 2014 harvest, so hopefully we will be seeing that this year?

Todd,

I have released my wines the second week of January for 10 years now. I’m can’t speak for the other brands you mention

This really is cra cra

Peyton,

Thanks for inquiring about our Chardonnay.

The intent at present is to release our 2014 Santa Cruz Mountain Chardonnay in the Fall of this year. We are scheduled to bottle the wine 3 weeks from now.

The wine comes from two different sites in the Santa Cruz Mountains. It is 50% Trout Gulch in Aptos and 50% Zayante Vineyard in the upper reaches of the Mountains.

Both are incredible sites that gave incredible character to the finished wine. I am outrageously proud of the wine especially int he context of it being our first Chardonnay effort).

Zayante is a very old property that has had grapes planted on it for nearly 140 years! No, that is not a misprint! The land was a grant from Ulysses S. Grant (our 18th President).

The Chardonnay we purchased from Greg at Zayante was planted with his hands over 45 years ago and still sits on it’s own roots and has always been dry farmed. The quality was astounding.

We also purchased some Chardonnay from Richard Alfaro who leases and farms Trout Gulch. That is site is incredibly cold and the acids are bombastic. Those vines are 35 years old and the material is old Wente which many consider the best in CA.

We barrel fermented all the Chardonnay and after 10 months, assembled it to tank where it continues autolysis. The wine was never sulfured until a few weeks ago. It has been a revelation for us and a wine we didn’t play it safe making.

Below are some pictures of Zayante both during the growing season and then at Harvest with Greg on his tractor that needs to be jump started down the hills of his vineyard!

Also, here is a video that is WELL WORTH WATCHING http://www.vinestories.com/video.php?video=117964071 about the history of Zayante and about Greg & his wife, the guardians of the land

VIDEO AT HARVEST:
[video]The Zayante's harvested grapes here 139 yrs ago in 1875. Today I commend Greg for keeping that passion alive! #OwnRooted #OurFirstChardonnay #DryFarmed | By Jamie | Facebook

Fantastic info Jamie. I have had Chardonnay (A-R) from Trout Gulch, and it is tremendous. I am absolutely stoked that you are working with fruit from there.

Thanks David! The finished wine is a blend of the 2 sites which personally for made a better wine than the vineyards designates. Trout Gulch was all lemon with boat loads of mineral undertones. Zayante has more fruit character as it sits much higher in elevation and in turn is a warmer climate. It is above the fog layer and receives much more photosynthesis.

It’s a win for consumers like you in that the wine will price at our appellation level of $39!

Well…now that the cat (in Chard clothing) is out of the bag… [grin.gif]

I felt extremely lucky (and whined and pleaded too) to have Jamie allow me to taste this also from a couple barrels in May. Remember that this would represent extremely early impressions

“Jamie tasted us on two samples of the Chard. I confess that I am one of his customers who has badgered him mercilessly to make one. He said he wanted to be ready, to be confident enough to make a great wine out of Chardonnay before he went and did it. I can respect that. Jamie is doing the Chard elevage in new Atelier barrels which he really likes. The two parcels are Trout Gulch, which lends lemon, almond and saline at this point, and Zayante–40 year vines, which shows me hazelnut and ticks of butterscotch to yellow fruit. It is VERY early days yet and I wouldn’t want to jinx, but my initial picture of a finished product looks like a Rhys Alpine Chard, which makes sense given the source of the fruit. It should end up structured, plenty of acid and built for the long haul. I am very, very deeply grateful to have a first look at the newborn.”

It will definitely be on the fall buying program for me

Mike

Sounds fantastic Jamie. Can’t wait for the release.

Thanks Mike & David.

Mike, that is a heck of a compliment when this is our first effort…

I can find a place in my stomach for $39 Chardonnay. Having crabs tonight!

Wow, thanks Jamie for the info and link. Your skill combined with great sites like that will definitely make for a highly successful maiden voyage. Can’t wait to try it!

+100 champagne.gif

Almost 15 years in California and I never saw a bottle of Zayante. How’s the motorcycling there?

Dangerous.

Personally, I wouldn’t ride 2 wheels anywhere in the Santa Cruz mountains.

Sadly, there are a ton of deaths from bikes on those wild, thin, windy roads. Greg, the owner of Zayante lost his son last year from a motorcycle accident in the Mountains. It was very sad.

I’ll take the Sonoma Coast any day over Santa Cruz while riding on 2 wheels or with 4 and 500hp