Kobayashi Release

Yes, very excited to try these wines. Looking forward to the Viognier release later in the year.

1 Like

Thanks to this board a came across this winery and I’m super excited to try these wines. I recently signed for the mailing list and this is the first time that I’m buying from them, so this year I didn’t qualify to get any allocation for the 2021 Kobayashi Sans Soufre Syrah. Hopefully next year I can qualify for 1 bottle of this jewel. Cheers!

1 Like

Just to get you in the mood, I opened one of last year’s Sans Soufre bottles. Holy moley, that was fun!

• 2020 Kobayashi Winery Syrah Sans Soufre WeatherEye Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Red Mountain (6/17/2022)
    Holy guacamole. This is intense stuff. Young, pure, structured, grapey and just VIVID. Super deep purple. The structure and purity are off the charts, unnerving really. I have only had a tiny handful of sans soufre wines in my life, and if this is a typical example it is deeply intriguing. Wow, wow, wow, crushed rocks, white pepper, searing acidity, deep Syrah. Loving this. This a wine of raw ebullience with some knees and elbows, not about suave polish, just raw energy. Wonderful stuff! (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

9 Likes

Ok. Here is the deal. Travis deserves all the accolades this board has thrown at him, but production will always be on the limited side. So please, temper down the enthusiasm and just move along. Fight club rules need to apply here.

5 Likes

I realize that you’re trying to be funny, but your comment may discourage someone (like me) from signing up. FYI, Based on this thread, I signed up 3 weeks ago and purchased 2 of the 2021 Kobayashi Winery Marsanne-Roussanne Boushey Vineyard.

Keep signing up. Support the boutique winemakers! [cheers.gif]

2 Likes

I’m in for a case sans the Sans.
Is this a fall delivery?

Looks like a very lucky few will be able to buy the Marianne/Rousanne in a 3L box for summer consumption. No shipping so only for locals unfortunately for the rest of us.

Super cool.

I just signed up for the mailing list thanks to you maniacs. Hopefully get an offer down the line!

I signed up a few months before this offer and got a nice allocation this time.

The big question of the day - to buy boxed wine or not to buy boxed wine?

You mean be kool or not kool.

100% buy. Super easy to lie to your partner about what you paid for it.

2 Likes

Since I once proudly wore a green “I Heart Boxed Wine” shirt to a Cayuse tasting years ago, I chose to buy boxed wine! Picking it up tomorrow for the 4th of July Weekend! Doubt it will last the first day :slight_smile:

P.S. I know it’s hard to read in that pic, but it truly does!

2 Likes

+1 on this. Sounds interesting enough to break my “i need to stop buying for a while” mantra!

Boxed wine is a way of life that’s been embraced everywhere but the United States. It’s high time we embrace it for all of its virtues. If I was in the Seattle area I would be all over the offer.

This stirs fond memories of time spent in the original Upside Down (Australia). Buy a few goon bags (boxed wine) and off you go seeking adventure. And by god you always found it or it found you in short order.

Let us embrace the goon bag!!!

I’d definitely have bought this if I lived locally. Too bad they won’t hold for shipping later. Maybe next year.

Tried the 2020 Syrah and 2020 Red Wine Vol 1 last night. Could definitely taste the results of the Miznura Cab Franc inclusion in the Red Wine. Wish I’d bought more!

The Syrah, as usual, stood out for me amongst WA Syrahs.

Travis is having a wine tasting event at McCarthy and Schiering in Ravenna from 11am-2pm and in Queen Anne from 2:30-5:30pm.

Tried the wines (Travis himself was pouring) and was lucky enough to get a few bottles. They are fantastic, energetic, and different from anything else I have had. The Marsanne was not just the best Washington white I have had, but one of the best white wines I have had in general in recent memory.

3 Likes

I was fortunate to taste Travis’s wines at M&S QA. Extremely impressive lineup! I applaud his efforts to make wines that are unique. IMHO, he is wildly succeeding. All of the wines poured were terrific. My favorites were the 2021 Syrah Sans Soufre and the
2021 Marsanne/Roussanne. Also tasted were the 2020 Syrah and 2020 Red Blend (Cab Franc/Merlot) but will be all Cab Franc going forward. Thanks to Travis for the detailed explanations of the wines and to Mario for her charm!

2 Likes