KENNETT SQUARE, PA: April tastings at Sovana Bistro.

Judging from Saturday’s sunshine, i’d say Spring has sprung!
I’m excited to announce another round of tasting events to take place at Sovana Bistro of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania. www.sovanabistro.com This bastion of local BYOB culture focuses on locally sourced seasonal produce in an unpretentious yet upscale format. My family has been dining there for years, and we have never left with anything but rave reviews and big smiles…the style of the cuisine is pan-European/American-nouveau, which is a fancy way of saying an artful hybrid of classical Mediterranean dishes with some American flair, including fantastic woodfire oven pizzas.
The format for these events is as follows:
All tastings will take place on Tuesdays, starting at 6:30 PM. It is an open menu, a la carte situation where you can order as much or as little as you so choose. Wine flights are to paid in advance to RSVP. Tastings are limited to 12 participants, and are first come, first served.

THE DETAILS:
Tuesday April 9th, 6:30 PM.
The Barbaresco wines of Andrea Sottimano of Nieve, Piemonte.
$25 for the wine flight, paid in advance to RSVP:

Andrea Sottimano has consistently produced some of the most finessed and downright delicious wines in all of Piemonte. His Burgundian vinification style allows for a depth and polish that ally both genuine terroir driven substance with a pleasurable immediacy. The 2010 vintage in Piemonte is being touted already as perhaps the most profound of the decade (and beyond); this collection will lay that to bare. We will also have a chance to try the rarely seen Barbaresco Riserva, a blend of the oldest vines in the Cotta and Pajore parcels. This will blow your mind…

2012 Mate (dry Brachetto) $14
2011 Dolcetto d’Alba $14
2010 Langhe Nebbiolo $20
2010 Barbera d’Alba Pairolero $25
2010 Barbaresco Fausoni $49
2010 Barbaresco Cotta $49
2010 Barbaresco Pajore $55
2009 Barbaresco Curra $49
2008 Barbaresco Riserva $89

Tuesday April 16th, 6:30 PM.
The Sancerre wines of Gerard Boulay of Chavignol:
$20 for the wine flight, paid in advance to RSVP:

A wine growing family in Chavignol since the 14th century, Gerard Boulay makes SERIOUSLY good Sauvignon blanc and rose of Pinot Noir from the most important terroirs of the appellation. This is a fantastic opportunity to see what Sancerre is all about, comparing both the various sites that he farms, as well as two superlative vintages in 2010 and 2011. A steal of a deal.

2011 Rose $22
2011 Sancerre tradition $23
2011 Sancerre Clos de Beaujeu $35
2010 Sancerre Mont Damnes $35
2011 Sancerre Mont Damnes $35
2010 Sancerre la Cote $39
2011 Sancerre la Cote $39
2011 Sancerre la Comtesse $46

Tuesday April 23rd, 6:30 PM.
The Sicilian wines of Passopisciaro of Mt Etna.
$25 for the wine flight, paid in advance to RSVP.

The iconoclastic Andrea Franchetti has spared no expense in creating his two estates, Passopisciaro on Sicily’s Mt Etna and Tenuta di Trinoro of southern Tuscany. The Sicilian property is our focus for this event. The Pinot Noir-like Nerello Mascalese grape is the sole variety in the red wines; they offer a pale and pure red-fruited profile, with a wonderful responsiveness to site specific differences of soil and elevation; the crus of Piemonte and Burgundy come to mind. Gorgeous and groundbreaking wines here…

2011 Guardiola Chardonnay $29
2010 Passopisciaro $35
2009 Passopisciaro Contrada Sciaranuova $59
2010 Passopisciaro Contrada Sciaranuova $59
2010 Passopisciaro Contrada Chippemacine $59
2010 Passopisciaro Contrada Porcaria $69
also from Franchetti’s Tuscan property:
2009 Tenuta di Trinoro Le Cupole $35

Tuesday April 30th, 6:30pm.
The Burgundy wines of Guilhem and Hugues Goisot of St Bris le Vineux:
$20 for the wine flight, paid in advance to RSVP.

A pet favorite of mine, the work that young Guilhem Goisot is doing in St Bris le Vineux of northern Burgundy is nothing short of spectacular. Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Sauvignon blanc, and old vine Fie Gris are farmed biodynamically. Substance trumps notoriety BIG TIME here; I cannot think of greater values to be had in Burgundy than these. The single parcel Chardonnays are fascinating, geek out extraordinaire…

2011 Bourgogne Aligote $15
2011 St Bris Exogyra Virgula $17
2011 St Bris Moury $18
2010 Corps de Garde Fie Gris $22
2010 Corps de Garde Chardonnay $23
2010 Corps de Garde Pinot Noir $23
2009 Irancy les Mazelots $29
2010 Bourgogne blanc Biaumont $35
2010 Bourgogne blanc Gondonne $35
2010 Bourgogne blanc Gueules de Loup $35

As you can see, some fireworks are in store…
As always, with any questions or interests, you can reach me at rob@downtoearthwines.net
TO YOUR HEALTH! CHEERS!
RP

Bumpo