Kenji's 3 ingredient Mac and Cheese

Has anyone tried this recipe? It gets really good reviews.
So curious. I never thought to use evaporated milk in mac and cheese.
May try it tomorrow. Mac and Cheese in 15 mins? I’m in.

1 Like

3 ingredient?

1. Macaroni
  2. Water
  3. Evaporated Milk
  4. Cheddar Cheese
  5. Salt
1 Like

I’m going to try this, thanks!

1 Like

Water and salt are free! :grin:

i agree @Herman_Wong, it sounds like :poop:

1 Like

if you live on the coast.

So the takeaway for me - use Chris Lilly’s “Fire and Smoke” iron skillet ingredients, but cook the macaroni in just enough water to cover the pasta and use evaporated milk instead of half and half :slight_smile:

1 Like

But the crusty brown stuff you get from baking regular mac and cheese is the best part! Although i respect that this totally destroys processed yellow stuff in the box, and that you can use your own choice of awesome cheese (my kids preferred Barber’s 1833 Vintage Reserve Cheddar).

1 Like

Yes!

1 Like

I still need to try that recipe. It looks so good.

“3 Ingredient” recipe was pretty good but much better after adding a little dry mustard, pepper, more salt and a tad of Siriracha. Still a very easy quick recipe. I will make it again and try different cheeses.

1/2 and 1/2? I’ve used heavy cream. 🫨

I’m going to try it this week (unfortunately the night before a blood test) so I’ll be sure to note the dry mustard/black pepper…and a salad!

1 Like

Super simple to make and solid. Not gourmet.

1 Like

Agreed, tastes exactly like Trader Joe’s frozen mac & cheese, which is just a little bit easier

I’ve made it several times. It basically just a less processed version of the blue box. Pretty tasty in a pinch. I prefer a baked version when time permits, but wouldn’t turn my nose up at this version either. Also an easy way of using leftover cheese, anything will work as long as it’s equal parts cheese, pasta, and evaporated milk.

1 Like

The box is three ingredients isn’t it?

• water
  • noodles
  • orange powder

Personally I prefer the version at the diner in Washago ((R cottage) where they make a proper Mornay sauce. That is why we go to restaurants, stuff we wouldn’t faff around with ourselves.

Gotta add butter and milk to make it edible so, no, it’s five.

Sorry about that - it’s not a dish that I cook though I have seen it done (not paying attention though). If the made cheese one of the added ingredients then they are just selling a box of noodles and chemicals.