Kei Shiogai

Any insights on this producer? Im hearing they are a rising star of sorts… TIA for any info/perspective/tasting notes

I have some bottles. Not opened one yet.

He is very active on Insta. Check that out.

cool thanks!

1 Like

Doesn’t look like @CFu is a big fan from his Instagram. :wink:

I haven’t had the chance myself, but have many trusted wine friends that have tasted a wide range of his wines now.

Overall; nice wines that fit the “current trend” of low SO2, whole cluster and light extraction with highly aromatic Pinot Noir - and at the price of ~€60-100 for the Pommard for example, they’re nice. Alas, they all say that they are no where near the level of the second market prices reaching as high as $1,000 for the regular Pommard… You are moving in to wines like Dujac, Rousseau and Mugnier - and not even just their Village wines…

2 Likes

I think the village wines are more than that on the primary market?

My understanding is that his involvement varies considerably from cuvee to cuvee…

1 Like

If that’s true, that’s really not a good thing.

I don’t get all of these gitchy producers and their meteoric rise? It almost feels like a Reddit subforum wine with how it takes off out of the blue. You can still buy Dujac Clos de la Roche for under $1000 a bottle, and the future value of that wine is straight up. I’ve seen the prices of Arnoux go up and come back down. Prieur-Roch is starting to do the same, and those are actually good wines with a pretty long track record.

Not knocking the quality because I haven’t had them, but if there is a question as to his involvement with some of the wines? What are you actually buying and paying for?

Well most Negoce operations are somewhat opaque. No?

1 Like

Rumpelstiltskin made gold, not wine :wink:

Kidding aside, I think there are reasons for that.

The truth is that it doesn’t have to be.

I saw the Pommard 2020 for €75 in Beaune last summer.

Maybe I’m thinking of the Pellans then.

Haven’t tried these either but Vivino sells them if that helps.

After seeing his name a few times, I’ve been on the lookout for a bottle to try. Today I was offered (non-grey market) his latest release wines. Village around $300, Village single vineyards $400, Chebaudes (I think his lone 1er) $550.

Come on now! Prices like these are giving Burgundy a bad reputation.

1 Like

If anyone is interested and willing to drop some cash the Kei Shiogai offer is on Crurated right now. €870 for a 3 pack of the village Gevrey. I’ve been curious to try this producer, but this strikes me as overpriced as a result of the limited availability, and the price does not reflect the quality in the bottle (even by Burgundy standards). I know we’re talking about Burgundy so it’s all relative, but I can’t imagine this would be 2 - 3x better than Fourrier, Duroche, Mortet etc… I’d be shocked if he topped any of those three for my taste - sweet label though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Le Soufflot would be the best place I can think of to try them!

2 Likes

Unfortunately I probably won’t make it back to Burgundy until 2025, but I’ll keep that in mind :slight_smile:

I have a bottle of 2020 Pommard Poiso in a box somewhere.
Happy to drink it with you.

Hey Patrick I would love that! I’ll shoot you a DM.