Jp Morgan San Francisco

Richard , Thank you very much for arranging the restaurant . For some reason , I am unable to reply to your email , so I do it this way .
You mentioned January 11 but it is Tuesday January 12 , right ? I have an engagement on Monday .
I will bring a Chardonnay that will knock you out of your socks … ( d’Auvenay ) and a red Burgundy and maybe something else . I originally wanted to bring an old Burgundy . But these bottles do not travel well , last week in New York , I opened a bottle of 1971 Clos de la Roche from Ponsot . It was good but not nearly as good as it should have been . Shaken too much during the travel .

Yes – Tuesday January 12th it is. The restaurant is on 11th Street, perhaps I mixed the two up.

I’m sure whichever wine you bring will be wonderful.

Best,

• Richard

2008 Aubert Reuling Chardonnay

I’ll bring a 2009 Rhys Bearwallow and an older Red or White Burg from the 90’s TBD.

I was thinking of a 2004 Littorai Haven pinot and a 2005 Littorai Heintz chard.

Or might rotate in an older burg or champagne depending on what others are bringing.

Interesting California and Oregon Pinots:

I’ve got;

California –

2006 Litorai Summa.
2007 Calera Selleck
2008 Mount Eden Estate
2010 Peay Pommarium

Oregon;

2008 Shea Homer
2008 St. Innocent White Rose

Unfortunately I’ve been invited back to Taiwan for a meeting on the 13th so I need to give up my spot. Very sorry to miss this.

Bummer!! [pwn.gif]

I’m just seeing this thread now. Looks like the waitlist is at a healthy size, but please put me at the bottom and let me know if anything opens up. I’d most likely bring burgundy.

i’ll actually be available for this! kid and wife out of town. please add me to the waitlist! thanks

Picked up the Colgin from the cellar. I’m looking forward to this.

Ah, too bad Craig! We’ll miss you!

I will see you guys next tuesday. I will some older Oregon(Lange) or Cali Pinot (Dehlinger or Calera)

Make this a Dujac tasting and Craig will make a short trip back home… [tease.gif]

Believe me, I tried to fix this one. Overruled, though.

Arrived in rainy SF . Went to an excellent restaurant yesterday : Rintaro , a Japanese place .
My wines are a Coche Dury Perrieres 09 and a La Mission Haut Brion 1990 .
Looking forward meeting you on Tuesday .

Herwig, thanks for the update. Welcome to winter in San Francisco :slight_smile:.

I’ve been conferring with attendees, and we’ll have an interesting variety of California wines for you to sample, plus a few from France. Turns out we Californians drink a lot of French wine, too!

See you Tuesday,

• Richard

I hope you all have a great dinner and I only wish I checked the forum a few weeks ago. While it looks like the dinner is full, this will be a great reminder for future years. If anyone finds themselves with free time during the week, I would enjoy connecting for a random coffee (or glass depending on the time) around/at the St. Francis. Best wishes for a great conference.

Hi all.
I disappeared after attending a delightful dinner 2 years back soon after we moved to SF. Sorry about that - had a second baby, which puts a crimp in one’s wine-drinking.

But anyway, I’m back and in drinking form. Would love to meet up with y’all again sometime soon. I’ll check back here. Hope tonight is rockin’!

Tasting notes! Thanks all for a great dinner!

JP MORRGAN WINEBESERKERS DINNER - Bar Agricola, San Francisco (1/12/2016)

A wonderful dinner with great friends, old and new.
Chardonnay
The clear winner here was the Coche-Dury. It’s not even close. Thanks Herwig!

• 2008 Aubert Chardonnay Reuling Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Aromatic, buttery, complex, slight minerality; palate is full bodied, notable oak, less elegant than the nose, not as complex through the midpalate; medium finish. Good, not superb, and I’m not sure it will ever reach the heights of top white burgundy. 90-91 (90 pts.)
  • 2009 Demuth Kemos Chardonnay Demuth Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley
    Very aromatic, citrus, mandarin orange, minerality, very balanced and complex; palate is full bodied, slight oak but well integrated, slight butter; medium finish. Very, very nice and it’s more my style than the Aubert. 92 (92 pts.)
  • 2005 Littorai Chardonnay Charles Heintz Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Aromas are sweet, tropical fruit, guava, smells almost sweet; palate is full bodied, ripe guava, some papaya, dry; finish is medium length. Certainly atypical for a chardonnay, but I’m not convinced this is flawed. It’s actually quite drinkable and I even think it’s interesting. 88-89 (89 pts.)
  • 2009 Coche-Dury Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru
    Intensely aromatic nose with papaya, tropical fruit, complex, incredible depth, slight oak, slight butter; palate is full bodied, medium-plus to high acid, incredible depth and complexity, persists well through the midpalate; long, long finish. This is superb, a standard bearer for white burgundy. 99++ (99 pts.)
  • 1982 Domain Fabien Coche Bâtard-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru
    Very slight oxidation expected for its age, pear, buttery, very well integrated oak; palate is full bodied, medium-plus acid, balanced; medium finish. Very nice. 90-91 (91 pts.)

Pinot
The 2004 Littorai The Haven was superb, among the best I’ve ever had from California Pinot Noir.

• 2004 Littorai Pinot Noir The Haven - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    The nose on this is stunning, stemmy, green, earthy, dense red and black fruit, spice, nutmeg, incredible complexity; palate is light bodied, red cherry fruit, medium-plus acid, superbly balanced alcohol, depth and complexity, fades just a tad through the midpalate; finish is medium length. This is honestly one of the best california pinots that I have tried. If the finish was longer this could be near perfect. This would easily compete with the best burgundy. 96-98
    Update: This faded a bit with the pasta, but it was again interesting later in the dinner by itself. I think this is a subtly complex wine that needs attention to reach near its potential. (97 pts.)
  • 2006 Littorai Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Moderately aromatic nose with cherry fruit, slight spice; palate is light bodied, good concentration of red fruit, good density on the palate; medium finish. Nice. 90-92+ (91 pts.)
  • 2009 Rhys Pinot Noir Bearwallow Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley
    Aromatic nose, quite deep fruit, love the stemmyness; palate is medium bodied, tannins have a bit of grip, nice red fruit, balanced medium alcohol, 14%?-> 13.9%; medium-long finish. Very nice. 91-94++ (93 pts.)
  • 1998 Lange Pinot Noir 20th Anniversary Dundee Hills - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills
    Deep color; slight funk, some people said TCA which I don’t see it I’m relatively insensitive, red fruit, elegant, with air the nose becomes more acidic; palate is light bodied, still good fruit but fades a bit quickly; medium finish. 89-90 (89 pts.)

Cabernet
Among the cabs, the Colgin was showing much riper at the restaurant as at home. Still suberb though. The Dunn was complex but somewhat subtle with a long life ahead. The La Mission Haut Brion was good but too bretty.

• 1994 Colgin Cabernet Sauvignon Herb Lamb - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Clear ruby red color with minimal bricking; aromatic nose with really well balanced dill, plush blackberry, savory, earthy, not quite bell pepper but definitely a nice green component, quite complex and well integrated; full bodied, deep black fruits with good depth, some minerality through the midpalate, persistent concentration; medium-length finish. As before, the nose is stronger than the palate but overall the wine is among the best california has to offer: plush dense fruit without being at all overripe or candied, complex with savory aromas without being overtly green, superb integration, velvety mouthfeel. Very enjoyable and at peak, drink over the next 5 years. 94-95
    Update: double decanted for 3 hours; nose is showing much more role purple fruit than when first opened, much blackcurrant, very unique and interesting; palate is ripe and full bodied but excellently made, fits the md of california cult cab. Wonderful wine, though I can see how others may not like their style. Has plenty of time, and actually improved substantially with air. 95-97 (96 pts.)
  • 1996 Dunn Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain - USA, California, Napa Valley, Howell Mountain
    Aromatic nose with some bay leaf, some black fruit; palate is full bodied, well balanced and lean with integrated tannins, medium-plus acid, black fruit; medium-plus finish. A very nice classical california cabernet that will never be plush, but that’s OK. 92+ with a long life ahead. Could even use air. (92 pts.)
  • 1990 Château La Mission Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Aromatic nose with cheese rind, green bell pepper but well integrated; palate is full bodied, integrated but slightly bitter tannins, medium alcohol well integrated, strong notes of pyrazines, definitely some Brett; medium-long finish. This is a very nice wine with character but it depends too heavily on Brett and pyrazines which are good at low levels but can be a crutch at higher concentrations. At this level I expect better. 91-93 (92 pts.)

Sweets
Always fun, this was a particularly good sauternes that Rieussec should be proud of.

• 1971 Château Rieussec - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
    Orange-ruby color; nose has dominant minerals, more reticent apricot, slightly smoky caramel; palate is full bodied, still a good amount of sweetness balanced with medium-plus to high acid, palate has excellent complexity, no metallic minerality at all, mandarin orange; finish is medium-long. This is very nice. At first the nose seemed a bit too metallic which is a sign of a Sauternes that lacks concentration and may be headed over the hill, but it moderated well and the palate is fresh and excellent. At peak. Very nice. 91-93 (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker