Jim Anderson (Patricia Green Cellars) Distillery Endeavor

In summary: Jim is organizing a BerserkerFest Falltacular in the Willamette Valley. All in favor?
Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 11.02.47 PM.png

1 Like

Nor should it! First of all I am more than happy to put my drinking credentials up against anyone.

Seriously though, I believe fervently in knowing the waters in which one swims. I think it is naive to think that one could hope to produce the highest quality (insert literally anything in here) without having experienced, learned about and gotten to well know the benchmarks of the field in which they are craftspeople. There are enough people on this board that have visited with me personally at the winery, who have shared wine from their cellars with me and enjoyed wines from mine, that have been to deep and serious tastings with me (my several year absence from the post-IPNC tasting aside) or have just ran through some kickass bottles together to vouch for me not as a winemaker but as someone who has bothered to put in the time, effort, money and health points into knowing about the wines that matter for what I do.

I can assure you that it is no different with whiskey. The majority of my wardrobe doesnā€™t have the word BOURBON or WHISKEY on it by accident. Iā€™ve had what would widely considered to be the gold standards from most parts of the world. Many, many times over. Iā€™ve been to head spinning tastings of single barrel tastings. I could make an incredibly delicious Manhattan in my sleep with one hand tied behind my back. Am I opinionated about what I think is good and what I think is shit? Just like with everything else. I am pretty comfortable and confident saying that I know what the feeling of a life, a day, a moment with good whiskey should be like.

I like American whiskey, rye, bourbon. I like Highland Scotch. Not a huge fan of the peatier Lowland stuff but I understand why people are. I havenā€™t had a Japanese whiskey that has done tons for me but I will admit to not delving deep there. I donā€™t like over-oaked stuff or stuff that is just way too sweet. There is plenty (PLENTY) of both out there.

I want in whiskey what I want in wine. I want more and more to see what it is and where it comes from in what I am drinking and lord knows I am not attempting to start another infernal terroir discussion thread. Iā€™m the northwest we can and do grow some amazing grain and some incredible heirloom varieties that are produced in few if even any other places on earth. I can tell you that even at this young age the differences between our Purple Karma barley, Franci barley, Baronesse barley, etc. and even our just distilled Gazelle rye are obvious, palpable and exciting.

Our distiller is of Sicilian descent (I wonā€™t be going against her when death is on the line to be sure) and was brought up ina culture of distillation as a way to make use of everything. Sheā€™s well-traveled, smarter than is probably healthy, is genuinely artistic and creative (alcohol aside) and is someone you can listen to for as long as sheā€™s willing to talk. She is supremely talented at and dedicated to her craft.

Purchasing this small, funky distillery is a means to an end. We can continue to produce the quite decent and inexpensive vodka and gin and begin to produce things that are from the Northwest and delicious as distilled beverages. Blueberry Eau de Vie? Yep. Thatā€™s for certain and the fruit will come from a local farmer that has 60 year-old blueberry bushes. Weā€™ll produce a blueberry wine (the first 5 gallon attempt went surprisingly well with the only problem being a misunderstanding on how to deal with blueberriesā€™ acidity vis a vis winemaking) and use some of the fermented juice for the EdV. Thereā€™s plenty of other things we can work with and use to create stuff that is somewhat common in other parts of the world but not well known here because our drinking culture isnā€™t deep and hasnā€™t embraced such things.

Anyway, perhaps overly long explanation over. Suffice it to say, Iā€™m a whiskey lover and I know great from good from crap. I know where we are going to land because I can see it already in the small amount we have done so far. Personally, I think if you like whiskeys this project will be incredibly interesting and hopefully eye opening for you.

2 Likes

What an amazing endeavor. Best of luck! Will be excited to try once itā€™s available.

That sounds very exciting, Jim. Do you know if you might introduce your whiskeys with a sampler pack, or at least have a sample pack available, so folks can taste through the whiskeys made from the different grains? (maybe a bunch of 50 mL, 100mL or 200mL bottles, for example). I think that would be fascinating, assuming everything else is kept as constant as possible.

That might either be beyond our technical capabilities/bottle acquiring abilities/time versus profitability quotient. I agree that itā€™s an interesting concept but I donā€™t see how we would be able to do that let alone at our production level.

1 Like

Understandable.

Perhaps some Berserkers in various locales can cobble together local consortiums to purchase a set and then divy up amongst themselves; sounds like you have at least 4 different non-flavored whiskeys in the works.

1 Like

Hard to say whatā€™s going to shake out. Right now I would presume we have 5-6 individual grain bottlings (Full Pint, Baronesse, Purple Karma, Francin, Lightning and Gazelle Rye) and a blended bottling that would hopefully come from more precocious barrels and be bottled earlier. We may do other things though or acquire different grains as time goes on. Door is nothing but wide open.

1 Like

Not sure Iā€™d want to bet against the likelihood that within a very short period of time we could have more like 12-15 different choices? Perhaps a few different Gazelle block cuvees, or Purple Karma clone bottlings?

We do have a reputation and history to live up to.

Fascinating news, thanks for posting. Curious what bourbons you like. There are certain ones I know that I like (Rock Hill Farm, for example), but keeping up with alll the releases of the different labels gotten to be too much. I am a Japanese whisky fan, but the ones I prefer are largely no longer made or way too expensive. I used to be into Islay malts, but grew tired of them. All of this is to say, I am ready for a new spirit. Good luck!

Such exciting news Jim ā€¦. Oth for our drinking futures and for the clear joy you are having in launching a new adventure. Canā€™t wait to taste!

Thereā€™s a lot to choose from out there but whiskey still continues to climb in the marketplace even with what, in some places, is likely a confusing tangle of brands. If Iā€™m having a Manhattan (certainly my go to drink and probably had a good, I donā€™t know, 10-12 year run of basically having one every night as I do subscribe to the Spalding Gray theory of life without cocktail hour) Iā€™m definitely wanting something leaner. I barely use any sweet vermouth in my Mahattans at all and sometimes just use a dry or off-dry (I find the Dolin Dry and Blanc combined together work well for my tastes) so I want something thatā€™s less overt and definitely not oaky/sweet. Bulleit has worked well over the years as has Four Roses yellow label. Buffalo Trace has never really done it for me but I would definitely choose it over Makers when finding myself in situations where those were basically the choices. Elmer T. Lee has often been a house pour. Elijah Craig and Weller work great but in Oregon those donā€™t grace every liquor store shelf by any stretch of the imagination. I like Sazerac quite a bit for Manhattans but, again, in Oregon you have to plan ahead for that most likely (or live near a better OLCC store). I find Eagle Rare a little much for me although I think itā€™s well made and get why people really like it. Been to a huge tasting of single barrel ER that was pretty impressive. Woodford, Angels Envy and Bookers are passes for me. Iā€™m okay with Blanton and Knob Creek although they might be more just rocks pours for me rather than a drink. Probably not tons of consistency here.

I can delve into the stuff that I want just neat or with rocks on the side later.

Thanks, Jim,
Very informative; I, too, am a big Manhattan drinker and these days favor Dolin. Interesting about Bulleitā€“the few times I had it, I didnā€™t enjoy it. Wellerā€™s works, Blantonā€™s, and, in the right setting, Woodford, but not the other two. I guess we have a few more options here than you folk, being so close to Kentucky among other things. Widow Jane has been nice (though actually from NY State, if I am not mistaken) and then there is Rye, which I can enjoy as well. I do like ā€œwheaters,ā€ of which Pappy is one, but I donā€™t pay those prices.
Looking forward to your new spirit, in any case. (Will it work in a Manhattan?)

Cheers,
Josh

I tend to use rye for my manhattans, and bourbon for sipping, although I do mix and match. Rittenhouse BOB mixes pretty well. For sipping bourbon, Old Forrester 1920 is a favorite, although it can be a bit dangerous at 115 proof.

1 Like

OF 1920 is DEFINITELY a go to for me. I turned Doc Levine on to it as well.

2 Likes

Canā€™t wait!

I cannot wait to try these blueberry wines, and sprits as well. As soon as you can ship within Oregon, please let me know. Iā€™d love to send some to friends that live in the state.

Reminds me that I owe you some wine my friend.

Itā€™s so exciting to hear that both you & Kelley were intrigued enough to want to try this project. Both Doug Schulman (from this forum) & I are really looking forward to trying them.

We sure are!