Jero of 71 La Tache, found in basement

Its kind of sad these days when I read a story like this and I’m kinda skeptical. These days the picture with the baby is easy enough to fake. The serial number seems really high for a large format btl, not to mention the fact that the market pays such high values for wines that the storage has been marginal at best for 50yrs.

thoughts?

Don’t know how to ping Don, but I’d be curious about his thoughts.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche1971

@Don_Cornwell

2 Likes

Cool story. Reminds me of a buddy who found a '76 Jero La Tache in a local cellar of an avid collector after he passed away. Hoping to be around when he finally opens it!

1 Like

I cannot be sure whether this bottle is counterfeit or not but there is much to be suspicious of. Moreover, Bonham’s catalog is absolutely fraudulent because they fail to disclose that this bottle has been held in ambient storage for the last 47-48 years. I find that fact irreconcilable with almost perfect fill level on this bottle.

Here is my list of what is notable from looking at the photos:

(1) Any time you see a Jeroboam or Methuselah of DRC sold without an OWC, that is automatically suspicious.
(2) The fully cracked off wax capsule and the the protruding cork, along with an almost perfect fill level certainly raise the possibility of a bottle that has been refilled. It would be helpful to have more photos of the top of the bottle and the cork.
(3) The neck label has been rather grossly re-glued onto to the bottle.
(4) There is an almost equally obvious amount of glue on the bottom of the main label.
(5) Note: this label has two signatures, including Lalou Bize Leroy and Aubert de Villaine. This two-signature label was first used by DRC on the 1972 vintage (which was released in 1975). The original 1971 vintage release (in 1974) had a single signature of H. de Villaine (Aubert’s father). DRC did have a ‘second release’ of 1971 DRC wines in 1975 or 1976; and that release did include Romanee Conti and La Tache in Jeroboams.
(6) Yes, the serial number is relatively high for a Jeroboam, but I have seen one or two others from the 1971 vintage. So the 0507 number is not impossible.
(7) No serious problems with accent marks or fonts.

Frankly, there is ZERO chance this bottle is any good, even if its authentic. AVOID!!

8 Likes

I’m sorry but this seems frankly irresponsible. You have not inspected the bottle in any meaningful way. If I was Bonham’s I would have a real problem with this.

1 Like

no disrespect but do you know Don’s pedigree and background in making assessments like this?

1 Like

I do. That actually makes it more irresponsible, not less, because people may give great credence to it when he actually has not inspected the bottle, yet maintains there is a “zero” percent chance it’s good.

1 Like

2 Likes

Speculating this is a fake is pretty silly. Who would fake a story that gives the bottle lousy provenance?

4 Likes

To make you think this exact thing! #criminalmastermind

1 Like

If it was released in 75-76 that’d mean it was stored in ambient storage for 47 years, not 60. That should have been disclosed, though.

Seems like the wine may have been stored in the outer Richmond if it was near ae Harris, not sure about temps there but in general I’d have no issues buying from SF passive basement storage, it’s very cold there.

2 Likes

If it is genuine, chances are it’s a pretty special wine. I’ve had the good fortune in the last five or so years to have had the '71 La Tache in magnum twice at wine dinners, and both times the wine was truly glorious.

Cannot judge on this bottle, but I’ve only seen '71s with H.de Villaine signature. Can be a great wine.

Generally my impression on aged DRCs is that the corks in the 70ies to mid 80ies were very soft … and many bottles have a fill of 2-3 inch below cork, which is not really promising … (can someone confirm?)

1 Like

February 2023 ($218,477) image miss “something”
https://www.ackerwines.com/news/press-releases/the-emperor-reigns-supreme-in-ackers-february-hk-auction/)

side note—amazing that so many producers would work directly w Acker. That guy is bulletproof.

2 Likes

Yes, thank you for the math correction. 47-48 years in ambient storage. No matter how good the auction house might believe the ambient storage is, I believe it is fraudulent on the part of Bonhams (or any other auction house) not to disclose that the wine has been stored in passive storage or ambient conditions. That is clearly material information about the condition which the auction house is not revealing.

As for your argument about temperature, we completely disagree. We aren’t talking about taking a chance on some old bottle of cabernet or something else that’s been stored in somebody’s basement. My stepdaughter and son in law live in SF and have a basement. The basement is often five degrees cooler than the primary living area, but there is no point in the year when the temperature comes anywhere near 55 degrees.

1 Like

[quote=“Don_Cornwell, post:19, topic:299551, full:true”]
Yes, thank you for the math correction. 47-48 years in ambient storage. No matter how good the auction house might believe the ambient storage is, I believe it is fraudulent on the part of Bonhams (or any other auction house) not to disclose that the wine has been stored in passive storage or ambient conditions. That is clearly material information about the condition which the auction house is not revealing.[/quote]

What if it’s some cave in France?

That seems wrong, if it’s below grade. I live in a warmer climate than SF and the ambient temperature in my uninsulated basement in the summer without cooling is 61F and well below 55 in the winter. I add minor active cooling to maintain 55F. Right now it’s ~50 outside and the cellar is holding 55 without any cooling.

I agree that we’re dealing with very high numbers but if I was looking for large format early 70s la tache I would probably roll the dice were the price low enough.

1 Like

In this case the price will not be low enough. The publicity about this bottle assures it will sell at a very high price. The one thing in it’s favor is the size, Jeroboam, which would tend to slow the aging process. I think the cork protruding is not a big deal. I once owned a Jero of 86 Cheval Blanc that has excellent provenance, and it had a bulging cork. Those are not standard size corks and probably needed special equipment to seat in the bottle. To address Don’s observation, mine did come with a wooden coffin. Bottle without one is suspicious.

It would be nice if the buyer would post tasting notes!

1 Like

I haven’t looked into this in any detail, but I have spent a lot of time in San Francisco. Temperatures can vary wildly depending on where you are in the city. And a lot depends on how far down your basement is.
Outer Sunset = COLD!
Mission District = not so much.

Dan Kravitz