Jancis Robinson on Napa Valley

Interesting read. Hits on some of my concerns.

2 Likes

Read it…liked it. I guess I was a bit shocked that Napa produces 4% of the wine made in CA. Numbers on DTC and pricing we’re big news to me, but shows the bubble might be ready to pop.

3 Likes

Further to the point of percentage of (California) wine production, this article was even more eye-opening:
[IMPORTED FOREIGN BULK WINE: THE DIRTY SECRET NO ONE IN CALIFORNIA WINE IS TALKING ABOUT | Lodi Growers]

1 Like

That is a surprise to me and specifically for Napa.

I could see it being that high in places like SBC or Paso. Temecula is probably significantly higher.

by far the most important sales channel for premium wineries, with 31% of the total revenue, was the tasting room.

A couple of things:

1. Where are they pulling their data from and who is providing it? Most of the time, some wineries submit and some don’t - and these are most likely ‘numbers submitted by the wineries’, not pulled from other means

2. There is no doubt that Napa has pushed as hard as any other region post Covid, and possibly more to make up for the fires, for direct tasting room sales - and my guess this also includes the ‘exorbitant’ tasting fees that are charged too.

Cheers

1 Like