Jadot Does It Again

Fabulous long lunch yesterday with a group of medico mates. For the second time in a week Jadot tops a strong field. I’m going to backfill some older Jadot reds!

2000 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut: Loads of matchstick and toast to the aroma. It has some peach and lemon fruits. It is buttery rich and powerful but has a high degree of finesse and class. It is layered and long, drinking beautifully right now.

1989 Bernard Chouet Meursault Les Narvaux: In a great place. There’s some struck match and white mushroom development. It is ‘old school’ rich and heady Meursault, with ripe peach and custard apple notes. It is buttery rich and finishes with decent mineral cut.

2018 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Les Preuses : A touch of mineral reduction to the nose. White peach with some candied citrus. There’s saltiness and a silky feel and flavours that persist.

2016 Chanson Père & Fils Chablis Grand Cru Les Preuses : Full and fruity and all upfront. Has gooseberry/passionfruit aromas and flavours. There’s some lanolin and a touch of something saline. Short and simple next to the two Fevre wines.

2018 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Bougros: some meaty reduction at first. Breathes to show dense and sappy orchard fruits. It is a white of almost red-wine like build, with plenty of chalky structure, It has outstanding length and requires a few more years of cellaring.

1972 Mongeard-Mugneret Vougeot 1er Cru Les Cras : A relatively pale colour. Earthy/loamy aromas along with some honey and truffle. The palate is still fresh, with a line of minerally acidity. There’s savoury nuance and something cool and stony.

2007 Frederic Esmonin Ruchottes-Chambertin, Grand Cru: Slightly green notes of tobacco and sage. There’s cherry fruit and some meatiness. It has some tea leaf tannin like grip and reasonable length.

1997 Louis Jadot Bonnes Mares, Grand Cru: The first smell is spent fireworks. Then pure cherry fruits show up. It is cool and stony and beautifully poised and balanced. The finish is precise and really fans out and length is terrific.

2006 Bouchard Père et Fils Corton-Le Corton, Grand Cru : It is sweet and vinous with Indian spice. An elegant rendition of Corton, with a silky texture and a gentle flex of chalky muscle to the back-end.

2008 Frédéric Magnien Charmes-Chambertin, Grand Cru : Loads of wood spice to the nose. It has rich cassis, strawberry and cherry fruits. It is tasty but feels just a little forced and extracted.

2008 Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St. Jacques: Just a suggestion of Vitamin B when first poured. It breathes up quickly and is a very good wine in a very good spot. There are rich, tangy berry and cherry fruits. It has a bright line of minerally acidity and subtle savoury nuance. It builds through the palate and is expansive and highly perfumed.

2005 Jean-Claude Boisset Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Clos des Ormes : Spice infused ripe berry and plum fruits. Fleshy, creamy and layered in the mouth. Nice balance and proportioned. The finish is carried by ripe, sweet tannins.

1986 Château de Fargues, Sauternes: Good aromatic detail with notes of lavender, apricot and lanolin. It is rich and lush, layered and long. The finish is energetic and invites another sip.

1958 Hardys Vintage Port: A wonderfully pure spirit. Complex and generous with some teak, milk chocolate, raisins and Indian spice. Rich and layered, enveloping the mouth with sensual, exotic flavours. The finish is clean and so long. A National treasure.

1 Like

97 was a vintage that Jacques Lardiere always considered one of his best. Sounds like a great bottle.

1 Like

Vitamin B is a new one on me, but I certainly get the excitement in the notes. Thx

Wonderful notes Jeremy. Jadot offers incredible value. Many perceive the house as lower tier because of their size. BTW, vitamin B has a very distinct nose and I have used it in TNs numerous times.

never had a Jadot that really wowed me. All I can think of is not to get sick on Fridays in Jeremy’s locale—all the docs are at the wine tasting.

Eclectic lineup Jeremy thanks for posting. Which Jadot “did it”, the 97 or the 08?

97 jadot csd was pretty legit

Yeah, but were you drinking reds or whites? And were you pairing them with DRC?

I have found the domaine reds make by Lardiere to be excellent and very competitve with others at or a tier or two above the jadot price point.

And I recently backfilled the 2010 VR BM at more than twice what I paid for my original three bottles after trying it last winter. It was that good. Don’t know who grew the grapes.

love the Chevy Demoiselles, just not a fan of most reds. No recent experience.

Had a killer bottle of the 96 Jadot Pouget Corton that wowed in a huge line-up for topflight burg… but the real Jadot head-turner I’ve had was the 2014 Batard Montrachet which, like Paul Simon, blew that room away.

I’m not an experienced Burgundy drinker but have found Jadot red GCs (and near-GCs) at 25-30+ years of age to be reliably very good to excellent. CSJ, Bonnes Mares, Musigny, Amoureuses. Maybe it’s my Bordeaux drinker’s palate [cheers.gif]

Don, I couldn’t agree more. Jadot 97s are fantastic top to bottom.

Yep. There are two Fridays every year where it would be best not to fall ill in Adelaide on.

Couldn’t split them Larry. A tie for wine of the day.

1 Like

I don’t see it discussed much but I think it’s worth looking at the change of winemaker since Jeremy’s bottles…
Lardière’s wines (reds) typically required 25 years to show some greatness, they were good before bottling but then I generally found them hard for years - there are some parallels to Lafarge here - though Jadot had many duds (brett etcetera, like my recent 1998 and 1999 Bèze(s)) that I don’t find with Lafarge. Of course many of Jacques’ whites oxidised too - not really an issue since the introduction of DIAMs here.
I think that the winemaking of Frederic Barnier is more modern and because of that, the wines are more approachable young and I see much more consistency too. There is still an open question as to whether Barnier’s 25-year-old bottles will be as good as (the best) from Lardière, for that, we will need more patience. But given the clarity and consistency of Barnier’s wines - and now the DIAM-sealed whites too - I have few concerns…

2 Likes

Had a Gevrey CSJ 2010 Jadot and it was brilliant. This was my best ever Jadot…Not that I drink many of them. And it is only 12 years old…